Any one looking for the cave the Cowboy found in1958?

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The story I heard
In 1958 a cowboy was supposed to be finding and moving cows and as he was coming down a ravine as it was getting dark it started to rain. He saw a cave to the side and high enough to be safe from flooding so he went into the cave with his horse. As he was lighting a cigarette, he noticed the top of the cave was quartz with gold in it. He got on his horse so he could reach the top and knocked off some of the gold. He then toke the gold and no longer caring about the rain or the dark, left and could see the lights of town below(Las Cruzes). After he got to town he went on a 2 week drunk with the money. Afterwards he could never find the cave again. He also lost his job BTW.
Has anyone heard of people looking for this cave?

stude

Nov 8, 2009
las cruces nm
This story sounds a lot like the one in "Treasure of the Sangre de Cristos" by Arthur L. Campa. There are several mines and caves in the Organ mts.

autofull

Mar 18, 2010
exeter pa
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
i bet, no one on this board would ever find and lose a cave of gold. ever. me, i would walk a bit away, call 911 and wait to be rescued. then find the co-ordinates from search and rescue, pay the rescue bill and go for all i could.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread