Pictures and Signs from the Region

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
... If you know David Paulides lore, then you know not to hunt them wearing red or by yourself....

His excellent 411 series is very disturbing, to be sure. I was also impressed by his The Hoopa Project, and Tribal Bigfoot. In fact, last time I was in northern Minnesota, I sought out the small Chippewa village of Bena, on the north edge of Leech Lake, and asked around a little about some things he discussed in Tribal Bigfoot. One of the tribal women who ran a coffee shop in Bena told me some very interesting stuff.

P7150922.jpg

OP
OP
N

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
One of my favorites from the area

View attachment 1544659

Hmmm, memory is fuzzy. Thought there was a similar one with detached legs some say memorializes one of the many gruesome details of the Victorio massacre of the Mexicans and Lone Texan by Massacre Peak.

This one looks more like a Trickster!

Watched some Netflix thing about a cave in France with 35,000 year old pictographs. Slow, but interesting.

They keep saying "earliest Human" painting, but there were a number of hominids stomping around over there simultaneously.

Anyways, it has the earliest known pictorial representation of a human-animal hybrid.

BTW, two of my very different buddies who never met until just a few weekends ago both have hair raising stories about an encounter with a confident creature like in your post! Their descriptions match almost to the letter.

I'll have to ask them about Thunderbirds when I'm back in Cruces in a few weeks...

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have spent many years in Arizona treasure hunting, but now I have been ensnared by the amazing mystery of Victorio Peak. Now understand, I fully realize that the government went in and stripped the Peak clean like a taxpayer's wallet, but I don't care. I am just in love with the story. I have read and read until I know where Doc's house is and where that horrible death picture was taken. I know exactly where Doc and Tony Jolly ran into each other at that gas station in Hatch, and a few other useless trivia items to boot. The thing is, speaking of Tony Jolly, and having seen his Youtube testimony, I feel as if maybe he isn't being truthful, or maybe he didn't remember very well. When you go over Hembrillo pass, and turn right at the "intersection," there is no house as he said within 3 miles, nor are there any real discernible dirt roads other than the main one. Now I haven't been there...yet, but with Google Earth you can usually find traces of these things. I have found many structures in that area, even a fallen windmill. I suppose I will just have to go out there this next spring. So, can anyone give me directions to the best dirt road that takes you to the Hembrillo pass? Does anyone know which way Doc Noss went out there. I know he left from somewhere near Rincon? Can you stand on Hembrillo Pass and just look at Victorio Peak, or does the Missile Range extent back farther? I will ride my RZR out there, but I really don't even see the point of taking my metal detectors. Might as well detect on the moon. I just really have to be there to see it. If not simply for the history of Chief Victorio's last stand against the U.S. Calvary. I'm sure you can almost hear the war screams.

captnron

Tenderfoot
May 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holyground, i share the same passion as you do for that place. Don't think you can even get close to the pass. The gate is west of the pass or just as you start up the mountains. you can see it on google maps. I would love to take my RZR and explore those mountains. I grew up in Deming. Never got around to exploring the Caballos or that area.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Please excuse my intrusion/ ignorance on this, but can you or someone else tell me what that is supposed to represent?
Honestly to me it looks like a combination of multiple things (?) To my untrained eye I see animal rear legs, human front legs/feet, maybe a ram's head, and a cat's tail?

Beats me. “Leopard Man”? There’s a number of other cat carvings in the area, and possibly a large leopard intaglio nearby. I’d post more of those pictures, but I’m out of the country and don’t have access to them on this iPad.

whiskeyrat

May 7, 2012
mid Michigan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have spent many years in Arizona treasure hunting, but now I have been ensnared by the amazing mystery of Victorio Peak. Now understand, I fully realize that the government went in and stripped the Peak clean like a taxpayer's wallet, but I don't care. I am just in love with the story. I have read and read until I know where Doc's house is and where that horrible death picture was taken. I know exactly where Doc and Tony Jolly ran into each other at that gas station in Hatch, and a few other useless trivia items to boot. The thing is, speaking of Tony Jolly, and having seen his Youtube testimony, I feel as if maybe he isn't being truthful, or maybe he didn't remember very well. When you go over Hembrillo pass, and turn right at the "intersection," there is no house as he said within 3 miles, nor are there any real discernible dirt roads other than the main one. Now I haven't been there...yet, but with Google Earth you can usually find traces of these things. I have found many structures in that area, even a fallen windmill. I suppose I will just have to go out there this next spring. So, can anyone give me directions to the best dirt road that takes you to the Hembrillo pass? Does anyone know which way Doc Noss went out there. I know he left from somewhere near Rincon? Can you stand on Hembrillo Pass and just look at Victorio Peak, or does the Missile Range extent back farther? I will ride my RZR out there, but I really don't even see the point of taking my metal detectors. Might as well detect on the moon. I just really have to be there to see it. If not simply for the history of Chief Victorio's last stand against the U.S. Calvary. I'm sure you can almost hear the war screams.

Best way to go is take 85 east from Rincon about 3 miles. Get off at the Spaceport/Upham exit.
Hook a left and go under the freeway.
Go north about 1 mile on the main gravel road, and there is a road that heads north east toward Hembrillo.
This is the first dirt road that goes to the right off the main road.

You can go about 20 miles on that road and then the road is gated at the entrance to White Sands.
You are still about 7 miles short of Hembrillo pass at the gate.
From there you would be trespassing.

There is a windmill located just outside the gate which is where I believe the 110 bars were buried before Tony and Doc dug them up.
Clues from a story told by Babe seems to lead to that windmill as the location of the 110 bars.

From that windmill I have tried to follow Tony Jollys story of that fatefull night, but it quickly turns into a maze of old roads that all look alike.

I plan on camping out there by the gate soon and continue my search of that area.

WR

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a few old windmills on Google Earth. There was a windmill on the north flank of Victorio Peak. In any event, I believe Tony Jolly finally re-found everything that he and Doc reburied. Tony was a sly old cowpoke...: ) The government got the rest. I am interested because I really do believe that this is the Seven Cities of Cibola that the Indians spoke of. That being very rich gold and silver deposits that the Spaniards finally located, worked, then hid when they left. I am certain that Doc Noss did find maps to these sites, and was actively pursuing their locations, however, Doc didn't know that many Spanish maps were upside down and wrong side out! Ova talks about looking for another trail, and there are some other hints that they were up to more that most people knew. Is it true that she died in the Bahamas? HMMMM... I'll tell you, the whole story hasn't been told...yet.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHEN i FIRST STARTED TREASURE HUNTINH, THOSE MAPS WERE RELATIVELY SCARCE, NOW THERE IS A PROLIFICATION OF THEM. DOES THAT SEEM, OR GIVE YOU IDEAS ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread