Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II

newbieprospector

Jun 22, 2006
Williamsburg, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes...up to the property owner

marker does not mean publically owned...usually just means the site/property is listed in the National Registry of Historic Places

I'm trying to get one for my house! ;D

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
My folks own the 1830s vintage parsonage in Mt Jackson.
and as far as I know the house, property and the marker all belong to them.
I do know that you can request the address remain hidden from the public (actual marker location)
Their property has never been detected, am trying to get Dad interested in doing it himself.

I called Virginia.
If the property is private and contains no graves of persons it can be dispensed at the property owners discretion.
If there are graves on the property the State and county must be informed of any soil movement within a given distance of the graves. Any registered historical buildings, monuments or structures may not be removed or modified without authorization.

The Descriminator

Jul 12, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites 5900Di Pro, Fisher Cz6a
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dog, Did VA give you any exact info on MDing on Cemetery property? I have a couple friends who MD on certain Cemetery's. Theyve tried to get me to go but I believed that there has to be some law against it. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any information on the subject. Do you have any ideas about where I can find out?

Thanks!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread