Virginia!!!!!!!!!!

michaelchaos

Nov 23, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
titan 2000
Hello Virginians,
Im looking for a new spot to hunt, i live in va beach. Ive been doing a lot of hunting around here, and it feels like every spot i go to is on a highway or busy road. Every old house i find is next to a development. Im getting bored of same spots and tired of wasting gas trying to find a new ones...

Any body out there in hampton roads that has some pointers or advice i need it.

****Also if any bodys up for a group hunt or organizing a club im for it...****

Thanks and see you out there....

Mike

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
I just started MDing (got one for Xmas) and I go out every weekend. So far I have mainly hit elementary schools, a private beach in Smithfield and my own yard. Every time I go out in my yard I find something cool. Since the weather is finally cold, I figure I'm going to hit the library and check out the old maps and atlases.

I really don't have a clue where to begin either. I have seen a few empty lots where houses used to be, but I don't have too much flexibility to go to the courthouse and find out who the owner is. There are some railroad tracks across from my house and my father in law says those tracks have been there for many, many years.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well u have miles of beaches and no they aren`t hunted out.

Schools, theres a mil of them well not that many but alot, alot of small public playgrounds, pungo, creeds old home sites.

Stacy, which private beach in smithfield i was thinking bout trying some of them, won`t hit the ones u want to work.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sleeper you posted as I was writing, you took the words out of my mouth. Head to the beaches young man. They are always replenished and changing. If you have a water detector or not. I know some who hunt beaches 90% of there time. When detecting we must sometimes take what we are given, be it beaches, parks, schools or private land.

Ed D.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL sorry Born.

Also see my areas in the beach and shallow water section for virginia, someone posted a similar question there so i put up some more areas.

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
The private beach I went to was on the James just east/south of Ft Boykins (my boss lives there). There was a TON of iron from all kinds of things. I got alot of cool nails - the long ones that look like old railroad spikes and some old bottles. There was another MD there too - very nice guy - who showed me his much fancier than mine detector and we chatted. He told me the best time to go to that beach is after a storm. I have heard that they have found old coins, jewelry and even a sword!

I know there are alot of beaches - but VA beach is a good 40 min ride for me. I actually went to the library last night to start some research, but the research room is only open in the daytime (bummer). I didn't stay long - looked like all the homeless people came in from the cold.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stacy, check my reply in beach and shallow water hunting. i posted 2 beaches not more then 20-30 mins from u. Your in ports correct?

If so ocean view is 15- 20 mins away and as long as your there in daytime you should be ok. The 2 i posted about were Buckroe beach and Huntington park beach.

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
Sleeper,
I have thought about Huntington Beach and all the other more local beaches - just havent gotten to any of them.
Still trying to get a feel for the laws. Private property I understand, but I was confused on Huntington (never actually been there) and I wasn't sure if it was a state park.

I am in P'Town, but I travel around a bit. I work part time in Carrolton on 17 and have family in Newport News.
I looked at the club membership numbers, and the one in NN has only 11 members. I would really like to look into a club but not sure what is best. Any ideas?

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stacy, huntington beach area right next to the pier i never had any problems with. It is a city park but the main park is behind and inland. I think as long as u stay to the sand beach they leave u alone.

If you live in carrolton, there are a couple of antique stores there, and since ur local they might let u in on some of the older homesite info around there, theres a bunch.

The Tidewater Coin and Relic Club, if i`m not mistaken used to meet at the virginia beach pub. lib. on virginia beach blvd just south of the independence area (thalia area) here is an e-mail link for them:

[email protected]

I had chatted with a couple of there members years ago but due to work sch. i wasn`t able to attend any of there meetings.

Buckroe beach, ocean view, virginia beach, and sandbridge are all open hunting areas from the duneline to the water, some of the new condo owners think there deed covers the beach area so if any of them ever give u any slack, infom them there deed is to the dune line.

Hit me with a pm if u want to hit some of them sometime i`ll head out there with ya.

privateer

Dec 4, 2006
Paquiwock
Detector(s) used
6 senses
Chesap.comm.col. off rt.17 out side of the churchland area has a beach area to the left when you come in the gate go down to the pier you can access the beach here-just go to the left along the shore-the campus used to be a gov. ammo depo-anywhere else you may have a problem-in the early 1970's did some work on the conversion of the campus.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
privateer, is it the one on 17 or the one u see from 664 right on college dr, outside of churchland?

OHH and heard today Buckroe beach has a no detecting sign on it now, supposedly by the army corps of idiots. I ll get over there sometime to verifly this.

privateer

Dec 4, 2006
Paquiwock
Detector(s) used
6 senses
You can turn off 17 onto college drive and this will take you to the campus-if you are going to newport news on 664 you can see the campus to the left-but i don't think they want you in this area-they have removed live ordinance from the campus-also they may have closed buckroe because they have found live ordinance on the beaches there.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand the campus maybe having some live ordnance on it, its not that far from craney island. I have found and heard of spent ordnance being found on buckroe but not live. Recken it came from monroe i know they used it as a military gunnery range during WWII, HUMM hazmat yeah lets see the government be forced to go clean it all up.

privateer

Dec 4, 2006
Paquiwock
Detector(s) used
6 senses
campus was a depo for ammo-us gov.-the old pilings extending out into the water are were piers where it was loaded and unloaded-you can see these if you go straight when you come onto campus-they cleaned the campus(maybe) of the ordnance-they have swept the beach twice at buckroe due to shells being found that i have read about-craney island is a area for army corps.eng. dredge spoil.

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
Thanks for the info Sleeper - I wondered about Sandbridge. My inlaws used to own a cottage there for 30 years so I like it down there. Right on 17 (near the Jewish temple) there is an empty lot with an old driveway going to nothing - was definitely a house at sometime because there is still a mailbox on the street. I gotta get the owners info first though. There are so many farmers fields out there that have potential and now would be a good time to check - before planting. Isle of Wight was started in the early 1600's so SOMEONE lived there - lol! I want to do research, but on Saturdays I still want to be out with the MD, not in the library.

As far as the TCC campus in Suffolk/Churchland goes, did we decide that you could or could not hunt there anymore because of the live ammo issue?

Thanks for all the info again - I don't want to go places I shouldnt go but I am already feeling the need to move beyond the thrill of clad!

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stacylee,

I wondered about Sandbridge

Here's a 1918 topo map of the area. It goes from just north of Rudee Inlet down to about the point where Sandbridge Rd meets the beach.

http://historical.maptech.com/getImage.cfm?fname=CapeHenry19se.jpg&state=VA

Looks like the place has changed dramatically since then! The black dots represent houses, schools, churches... You may have to zoom on it to see the details.

Remember the Sandbridge beach was "reclaimed" not too many years ago. They sucked up sand from just offshore and pumped it onto the beach. My brother found (eyeballed) lots of spent ammo (modern) when he lived there. I'm sure the beach is well combed by tourists and locals...

Have fun,

DCMatt

OP
OP
michaelchaos

michaelchaos

Nov 23, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
titan 2000
forgot about this post for a while didn't expect this many people to right back...
I wasn't saying that any spots were over hunted,

i was just saying that its hard to find a decent spot around here
and yea you can spend all day on the beach it just isn't as promising as i like..

most old lots sites...etc. are right next to busy highways neighborhoods with people that like to harrass me

anyhoot... so if anybody wants to get together and do some group hunts let me know
i have scoped out a few lots that look pretty old im sure id need to find permission...keep me posted and lets get together...
mike

Attachments

• Maryland Sunset.jpg
    Maryland Sunset.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 731
  • Maryland Sunset.jpg
    Maryland Sunset.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 719

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread