Rockingham county va

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Back! The old "Manse" (Forrer-Fields House) was still standing in the early 70's when I visited Grand-ma (she was living alone as Grand-pa had previously died). I remember seeing what remained of the nursery, out back... if it was torn down in 1974 or so, I didn't know, as I was living in H'burg, Va. Their "stash" of coins may have come from the basement, so yeah, I would check foundations, etc. In terms of GEMS from BIG GEM... there WAS a place near-by, that I got some of the GEMS out of the LIMESTONE "wall" near Pee Dee Hill (where I lived as a boy). It is on Rt. 340 (West Side) on the Sullivan Property (Mac Sullivan) near the Sullivan Sign, advertising their Biz. ALL kinds of GEMS of various colors; GREAT for ROCK-HOUNDS!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Last question I promise. No one around here seems to have heard of any legends about a hidden stash. Could you please inform me of some of the local legends surrounding the former brothers and the brick mansion. View attachment 1439240 View attachment 1439240 View attachment 1439241 View attachment 1439242 dwelling near ball field that seems quite old
Old Jerusalem was VERY old; have not found my file on it. It was like a COMPLETE street in Jerusalem. Several "houses" with a SECOND Floor...

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
"Hidden Stash" was PROBABLY the coins found in the Basement of the "Old Manse", dunno. MORE info about the Old Manse is in SHENANDOAH: A History of Our town And Its People. Shenandoah has a web-site; MAYBE you can post questions on it & get answers...

Nikki24401

Dec 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Hidden Stash" was PROBABLY the coins found in the Basement of the "Old Manse", dunno. MORE info about the Old Manse is in SHENANDOAH: A History of Our town And Its People. Shenandoah has a web-site; MAYBE you can post questions on it & get answers...

Better yet!! I'm gonna head to the Exxon 340/602 intersection. All the old timers go and drink their coffee there. Lol. I love the stories behind stuff like this and every one has a different opinion.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Better yet!! I'm gonna head to the Exxon 340/602 intersection. All the old timers go and drink their coffee there. Lol. I love the stories behind stuff like this and every one has a different opinion.
McDONALDS! Yeah, wife & I have been there; nice to see the "old-timers". Ask 'em about the Mill-race at Verbena for the Naked Creek Furnace (Nekked Creek Furnace); about the cabins built by Mr. Pee Dee for the workers of BIG GEM on the Island under the Rail Road Trestle, near Verbena (Moose Lodge area). Ask 'em about the VERY haunted PINK House above the Rail Road tracks in front of the RR Trestle... HEH! ALL on Rt. 340 "outta" town... HH! Good LucK!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Back to Rockingham County... EAST of Elkton (once known as Conrad's Road, C.W. days) next to the SNP, Mountain Communities existed with POSSIBLE Caches/Stashes in the Beldore section... BE WARNED! Folks are NOT friendly, nor amused with strangers "poking about"... these folks live on hunting Ginseng... LOTS of $$$$$$$$$$$$ from China "export".

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As yes, Beldor "Hollar". I agree on the not friendly or amused with strangers and if you do not have friends/family up that way, someone's going to want to know what you are doing in there. Last time there, with an old girlfriend from the area and we had stopped to take a smoke outside my new Grand AM GT and the people that drove by stared at us with suspicion but someone recognized her in one of the vehicles and we were left alone. A friend's mother lives up there but have not been to visit for so long. There has to be places up there ripe for hunts, just might get you hurt or disappeared. you know they are cut off during bad weather and during earlier times, they did not always make trips into Elkton or to Harrisonburg. Hunt ginseng and mushrooms during certain times of the year.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
HA! My best buddy in High School dated one of the twins that lived up in Beldore Holler... he was "SPOOKED" many times; they dated for about 6 months... LOL!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
ANYWAY... moving WEST from the mountain (Swift Run Gap), there were MANY farms/homes "impacted" by the Yanks invasion ("Black Dave" Hunter...?); the GREAT WAGON ROAD/Indian Warrior Path/Rt. 11 was the MAIN "Highway" utilized, with many "side-roads"/paths for "travel"; MANY farms with possible "cashes/stashes" buried on the land, in the mountains & hills, by the creeks & Shenandoah River, etc. Has it ALL been found...? Dunno. My guess would be caves in the mountains/hills, home basements, etc. HH! Good Luck!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Back to Rockingham County... I think old "places" by the Shenandoah River are "WORTHY of note"; MANY "legends" abound...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
One legend by the Shenandoah River is the Gov. Spotswood of Virginia & his Knights of the Golden Horseshoe burying a bottle with a note in it claiming ALL of the land (Shenandoah Valley) for the King of England... Native Ppl were NOT amused.
It was stated to have been buried across the Shenandoah River (Bank) that is part of Rt. 33, Business, going through the BIZ section of Elkton, and across the current bridge (they "forded the river", back then). NEVER been found; COULD be that the Native Ppl took it... dunno.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
ANOTHER legend is that Civil War Cannons with GOLD coins in the barrels, plugged & sealed... were buried by the banks of the Shenandoah River; NONE found to MY knowledge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions