Page County "Treasures"

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
We know that there were 3 Ore furnaces for Iron; at Verbena near Shenandoah was the Naked Creek Furnace, BIG GEM at Shenandoah (aka Shenandoah Iron Works), and Catherine Furnace in Page County, near Grove Hill/Newport. Where there is Iron Ore, there is Crystal & GOLD... "GOLD in DEM HILLS"? MAYBE! AND! LOTS of Limestone Caves/Caverns... HIDDEN Caches/Stashes? MAYBE!

Last edited:

Nikki24401

Dec 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We know that there were 3 Ore furnaces for Iron; at Verbena near Shenandoah was the Naked Creek Furnace, BIG GEM at Shenandoah, and Catherine Furnace in Page County, near Grove Hill. Where there is Iron Ore, there is Crystal & GOLD... "GOLD in DEM HILLS"? MAYBE! AND! LOTS of Limestone Caves/Caverns... HIDDEN Caches/Stashes? MAYBE!

I'll be sure to keep u updated in my findings. The nice part is that I can literally walk out my back door and be standing on the backside of the foundation of the old brick mansion.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I'll be sure to keep u updated in my findings. The nice part is that I can literally walk out my back door and be standing on the backside of the foundation of the old brick mansion.
YEP! You have a VERY nice area & a "piece of HISTORY"!

Nikki24401

Dec 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today!! Not sure what it is. Maybe to a door like a lock hinge. IMG_4276.JPG IMG_4276.JPG IMG_4276.JPG IMG_4275.JPG

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Not sure either... one item; suggest putting a dime or quarter next to it to get "size of artifact"... THANKS!

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
ANYWAY, Shenandoah Iron Work (aka BIG GEM Furnace) just wanted the IRON; don't know WHAT they did with the VARIOUS colored GEMS that came out of the mine... which had a SMALL train (aka "Dickie Train") that the miners used to get the ore out, with a smaller gauge track; story is the miners hit WATER, flooring the mine & into what was known as Gay's Pond (Mr. Gay owned it & had a store across Rt. 340). Dickie Train is STILL in the mine, AND! NO ONE has been in the mine, since; time for Expedition Unknown with Josh Gates. It would be GREAT PR for Shenandoah!

Nikki24401

Dec 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_4283.JPG IMG_4283.JPG IMG_4284.JPG That's hilarious that u say the train is still in the mine because there was a newspaper article that it's believed to be in the bottom of gem pond. I foUnd lots of interesting things yesterday. IMG_4283.JPG . This is my fave

Nikki24401

Dec 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That might be really what's at the bottom of the pond and they told the train story to keep people out!! May be the reason it has that weird color! J/k but it is interesting, it would be cool to track down Milnes relatives

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
That might be really what's at the bottom of the pond and they told the train story to keep people out!! May be the reason it has that weird color! J/k but it is interesting, it would be cool to track down Milnes relatives
Yeah, Gay's Pond has a GREENISH color...

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Is there a "Town Historian" that you could talk to...? In the early 70's, we had I.W ("Bud"); he & his wife lived on Pee Dee Hill like my family did; "Bud" & I were Freemasons from Ashlar Lodge # 125 AM & FM in town. He died in 1978, & his wife died in 1983... "Bud" had a LOT of artifacts from Shenandoah in his basement; he showed ALL of it to me & I was "over-whelmed"; hope he "willed" all of it to the town museum. HE is the one, who contributed info on the "Old Manse" to SHENANDOAH: A History of Our Town an Its People. Ask your neighbor who to talk with; HE would know...

Nikki24401

Dec 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_4363.JPG Found this very strange rock today. Are you familiar with this type of stone in the area IMG_4359.JPG IMG_4357.JPG IMG_4362.JPG IMG_4356.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
It appears to be Quartz, with pieces of GOLD in it; where there is QUARTZ, there MAY BE GOLD! SOMETIMES, even SILVER! GOOD ONE! HH! Good Luck! :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread