Gold panning in NoVA/VA!

Retka

Jul 17, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have lived the majority of my life in central VA, and more recently Northern Va, and am now looking to get started into panning for gold. I've identified many stream locations near me in Fairfax County that may contain gold, but am still apprehensive about panning due to confusion in local/state law.

I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions about where to pan for gold in Northern Va, and if anybody can point me towards the general laws. I've heard many statements about that in general it's legal to pan in state owned waterways, but can't find any confirmation towards or against this. Looks like all Fairfax County parks are out of the question as gold panning requires a permit.

I'm new to the experience of gold panning, but have a fair amount of knowledge in the local area and in geology/earth sciences, and would like to connect to others in the area as well.

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Best i can recommend is Contrary Creek in Louisa County. Its a well known gold prospecting location, and as long as you keep your feet in the creek you are legal. The next best option would be to join the Central Virginia Gold prospectors club (CVGP) which is based in Dillwyn Virginia. They lease a number of gold bearing properties in central Virginia, Cost is $100 a year.

As far as NOVA, there is gold up that way, but there are no publicly accessable spots that i know of. Everything is private property or State or federal parks which do no allow prospecting.

Hope this helps.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Yes, Buckingham County, Va. IS the place to start; Booker Mine(s) are there, with Gold Mine Road being "popular", heh. Just "google" Gold Belt in Virginia; starts in NOVA. HH! Good Luck! Have FUN!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread