Metal Detecting Training Dvd

Would you pay for a training DVD for teaching beginners about the hobby?

• Total voters

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings,

When I first started metal detecting, I had to learn everything about our great hobby the hard way as I had nobody to help me. This Forum was one of the places where I learnt about the hobby. I would of liked it if I could of bought a beginners dvd that explained the metal detector and how to use it. How to dig a plug, How to find sites to detect etc.... What are your views? Is this a product worth buying?

Lance4

Greenie
Mar 24, 2012
Hiawassee ,Ga
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2, Whites MXT pro, Whites and Garrett pinpointers, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
Other
everything needed is for free on "you Tube videos".. example Google "you tube Garrett Propinpointer to find gold nuggets"
Hope this helps.

OP
OP
pgill

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Lance4, I agree 100% with what you say, but not much is in very fine detail.... I also used YouTube, and it helped me lots... But I did not have anyone I could ask questions when I needed the answers, except on the Forum.... My idea is that once you have watched the DVD, you can then go and switch the detector on and start finding stuff.... It was just an idea.... Thanks for your input, I do appreciate it and will keep it in mind...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings,

When I first started metal detecting, I had to learn everything about our great hobby the hard way as I had nobody to help me. This Forum was one of the places where I learnt about the hobby. I would of liked it if I could of bought a beginners dvd that explained the metal detector and how to use it. How to dig a plug, How to find sites to detect etc.... What are your views? Is this a product worth buying?

The thing is Peter, most of the manufacturers are beginning to produce their own. Kevin Hoagland has done several for minelab that are outstanding, and they are free on YouTube. If you are good enough and know what you are talking about, have the ability to communicate your knowledge, and unlike me have a face for the camera, I would contact the maker of the machine you use and pitch your idea. Good Luck!

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to the hobby and can tell you first hand how I started to metal detect.
First I read through a few metal detecting forums and got an idea of what type of metal detector I needed that was in my price range.
Then I read quite a few reviews on the internet on the ones I narrowed down, to decide on the one I would purchase.
After I ordered it, I went on Garrett's website and watched all the tutorial videos on how to operate my new machine and a few videos on youtube on how to search and dig for stuff using a MD.
When it arrived at my house I unpacked it, set it up and was finding stuff pretty accurately on the first try in my back yard.

As was said earlier, the info is all over the internet and I think what I needed to learn first and more importantly was how to operate my specific machine correctly and accurately. As I understand it, they all have differences in settings and tones ect. If I watched some general how to MD video I would have had a much longer learning curve trying to figure out how the general info related to my metal detector. By watching the specific tutorials for my metal detector I was able to take it out of the box, program it and adjust it for my specific hunting needs and start metal detecting right away and get results the first time out.
As I have experienced it, those instant positive results have motivated me to continue in this hobby with entheusiasm and motivation. If There was a big learning curve it might have deterred me from continuing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pgill

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys, all noted and all good points :thumbsup: thanks for the input....

awhatley

May 31, 2012
marion, louisiana
Detector(s) used
Lone Star Bounty Hunter, son uses a JR Bounty Hunter, 2 modified centech pointers, fisher f2, fisher pinpointer, harbor freight detector, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I each model should come with its own KNOW HOW dvd packaged with it instead of the cheap things that do come with it. Just an opinion. Because not everyone has a home computer, the only time i have access to a computer is at work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread