Metal Detector Testing

Would you like to see different makes and models of metal detectors tested against each other?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
Just out of curiousity, would anyone else like to see different makes and models of detectors in the same price range and catagory (i.e. water detectors, gold detectors, coinshooting detectors, etc.) tested against each other to see which ones come out on top and how they score according to abilities? For example: descrimination accuracy, depth detection, overcoming mineralization, salt and black sand and so forth. It seems this is done with many other products but I have never seen it done with metal detectors. It would be interesting to see the results and perhaps help encourage and/or further advance the technology in the next generation of machines.

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
Go to Lost Treasure Magazine. They do test metal detectors and report there findings in their magazine all the time..And I love the State treasure tales. Great magazine! Gold Magazine does some of this type of stuff also! I like reading lots of their articles...There is stuff on metal detecting,gold panning and such and articles about different types of metal detectors for gold hunting!

OP
OP
nedigger

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
I know what you are saying (or at least I think I do). I have been to losttreasure.com and I too enjoy the state treasure tales and have seen metal detector reviews but usually it's when a new detector comes out they take it to a location and hunt for a period of time and report what they found and what I would call a "candy coated" review of the machine. I'm talking about pitting machine against machine in controlled settings to test their abilities. For example, take a high end machine from Minelab, Garrett, Whites, etc., all being comparable detectors, and run them through a series of tests, grading each one on a number scale according to how they performed head to head with each other. Were they all able to find the small gold coin at 5" while discriminating out the pull tabs that were sprinkled in and around the test area? Did they ignore the highly mineralized soil to detect the indian head penny at 7". Or a dime on edge at 4". A 2 Reale in the surfline at 6".
What inspired this poll is that the question comes up quite frequently on this forum by people who want to know what is the better detector between brand/model X and brand/model Y or maybe brand/model Z. Whether a person is a newbie trying to decide on their first detector or an experienced detectorist upgrading or crossing over to a specific use machine such as gold prospecting or a submersible, they would have informed reports they could refer to to aid in their decision. Maybe the Minelab scored exceptionally well on all the tests while the White's pulled it of with a medium grade in the surfline but did quite well otherwise. Maybe the Garrett scored some high marks on some tests and couldn't quite cut the mustard on some of the others.
I myself would like to get a good submersible machine eventually but without seeing the different ones tested and graded side by side I am unable to make a solid decision as to which one I would be most happy with. I would be more than pleased if someone gave me a machine by any of the major manufactures but since I am dropping my hard earned cash, I would prefer to bypass the trial and error and get it right the first time. Perhaps there are reports where such testing is being conducted but I haven't seen the articles myself. And either way it's enjoyable to get other's opinion on a subject as well.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the Problem with Magazine Reviews, They have to be Advertisements, for the particular Detector they are testing. HOW MANY MANUFACTURERS are going to pay for adverts in a Magazine IF a Review mentiond only the Bad points ? How many of these people, That receive items for testing, would be taken off their list if, thay gave a bad review ? the way it looks to me, the only people that are offered to test a new detector, are Dealers who, the manufacturers know, are going to HYPE UP their product. after all, when people come to them to buy, their going to want to sell. People like me who would be BRUTILY HONEST, don't stand a chance, with the Metal Detector Manufacturers. I'v got Nothing to Gain, by EMBELLISHING? :(

OP
OP
nedigger

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
Exactly Jeff! You hit the nail on the head. Which is why the testing would probably have to be done by a group independant of the manufacturers, so there is no bias one way or the other. The detectors would have to be purchased (no giveaways here) and be stock with no alterations to make it all fair. Once the testing is completed the results could be published by the treasure mags with no recoil by the manufacturers since they are just reporting the results without injecting their own opinions. This kind of testing takes place all the time with other products. For instance Good Houskeeping tests houshold appliances and then publishes the results in their own mags. Car & Driver puts different makes and models of cars through a series of tests and publishes the results also. Better Homes and Gardens Publishes Wood Magazine where they test various power tools and publish the results. In the May 2003 Issue 148 Of Wood Mag. they tested 10 portable planers by various makers and graded them on features, performance and available options. All were priced between $270 - $480. The scoring was done using an alpha system: A=Excellent; B=Good; C=Average; D=Below Average; and N/A meant the model did not have that particular feature being tested. The results can be seen in the mag as they are irrelevant to the point I am making here. Even though the examples I mention here test and publish the results themselves I would prefer it were done by an independant group to help insure fair and unbiased opinions and results. Such testing would serve to benefit us - the consumer - who purchases and uses the products and allows us to make a more informed decision when buying. I own a Garrett GTI2500 (bought about 4 years ago). It's a top of the line detector and my first and only machine at this time. When I was contemplating the purchase of a machine I had narrowed it down to this or the Minelab Explorer XS. I think I made a good decision but unless I were to try an Explorer as well I guess I will never know. I have made some pretty nice finds with my GTI2500. It performs well most of the time but I would be lying if I said there weren't times when I didn't want to wrap it around a tree or fling it into the ocean. I found that it doesn't handle wet sand as well as claimed (even with salt elimination turned on). Had I known this before purchasing it may have swayed my decision the other way. I don't know, I could ramble on but I just think it would be nice to have such information available so when you or I get ready to purchase our next detector we would be able to do so with more confidence. After all, each one claims to be the best but who's really King Of The Hill? HH to all.

B

brla

i like always to know if there any new tech locator or detector with more tech from the old ones

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT>.....None of the brand names seem to want to admit the 5-9" normal limit they have.....They all say " Buy Me I'M the deepest detector you'll See" I would like to read ALL the INDEPENDANT test results....IF you can get some funding to Buy the various brand or have them donated for the tests.........Next you would have to get some unbias ,and fairly well known T.H's. to perform the tests,and hire someone to publish them.....Then sell them....I'll buy em
P.S. I stumbled on to this 1999 test.......It has some good info for deepth and stability in some MD ,such as Whites,Garretts, Tesoro,Minelab Sovereign,Fisher ,and Treasure Baron ......The title of this test article is......................................................................................................................................................................
(Battle Of The Brands: How Deep Is Deep? ).... http://scottybuck.home.att.net/crg/depth.htm

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would sure like to see that kind of information before making a purchase decision....

I'm new to the hobby and the lack of in-depth comparison testing information really surprised me when I went hunting for info to make purchasing decisions with.

I did find tiny bit of testing stuff here and there, but no head-to-head "shoot-outs" or any comparison type tests that I had hoped to find.

I'm sure that someday, some proper scientist will get hooked on MD'ing and put together a fantastic web site comparing different MDs. It's only a matter of time... I hope!

Good hunting,
desmobob

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sent a request to CONSUMER'S REPORTS asking them to run test on M.D's in the price ranges...never heard a word. Ticked me off bad enought that I cancelled my subscription.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread