Learning - Lake Wilderness in Maple Valley

Ezkilll

Aug 20, 2012
Maple Valley, WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am brand new to this, so last week I went to Lake Wilderness Park in Maple Valley for my first try at detecting. It has been very dry for the last month so the ground here is very hard. I thought I would try the sandy beach area at the swimming area of the lake.

I got several hits indicating from 2-6" deep. I decided to dig everything so that I could learn. The first thing I learned is that metal detecting is more about digging than swinging. I found several nails in the sand. One target was a nail still in a board that looked like some kind of buried structure.

I hit a deeper target and learned that the beach sand was only 2-4 think on top of hard pan. I found two nickles, the oldest a 1970. The final item I dug turned out to be a foil wrapper from a Recces cup!

All in all a fruitful learning experience.

EzKilll

PS - I ran into a Maple Valley councilman at the farmers market and asked him if there were any restrictions on Metal Detecting. He indicated that to the best of his knowledge there were none.

armor4hm

Nov 23, 2012
If in the wa parks make sure to read the rules on the parks. You can google, metal detecting rules in Washington parks. It's lots of fun.

mdsmailbox

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you still detecting around Maple Valley? I just got a Garrett Ace detector that I am looking forward to trying out. I, too, made my first outing to the Lake Wilderness beach area just yesterday, but there were too many people around and I wasn't sure of the rules, so I didn't get the detector out of my vehicle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions