Greenhorn with lots of questions

JerseyJoe

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,
I recently caught the gold fever while in Alaska and wanted to try my luck at panning. I've look through the site here and am having trouble finding a good place to start. Ideally I would like a place where I can camp and have a creek nearby or within a short drive. I've like to keep it within a 2 hour drive of Seattle.

I also wanted to ask if anyone here is part of the GPAA or Prospectors Plus as I've been looking to join if I decide to do this more often. Do either groups have claims within 2 hours of Seattle. I'd like to know before paying the membership fee.

Also, if anyone is looking to do a day expedition I might be up for meetup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LRC253

Aug 5, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello, waddell Creek just past Olympia has good camping and a bunch of fine gold. I'd look into other clubs such as wpma, bedrock, NAMA or ncwp. All have good camping and gold if your planning on panning.
FYI I started a few years back with a pan and now have three dredges. It's funny watching what a few specks of gold in ur pan does to you...

Good luck

OP
OP
J

JerseyJoe

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, waddell Creek just past Olympia has good camping and a bunch of fine gold. I'd look into other clubs such as wpma, bedrock, NAMA or ncwp. All have good camping and gold if your planning on panning.
FYI I started a few years back with a pan and now have three dredges. It's funny watching what a few specks of gold in ur pan does to you...

Good luck

Thanks for the response! Waddell Creek looks like a good place to start, however I have a few more questions if you or someone else can help. It was my understanding that you cannot pan in any state parks, isn't Capitol State Forest a WA park? Also, I've tried using mylandmatters.org to check for any claims along waddell creek and it comes up empty. Am I doing something wrong?

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your info from land matters is correct, there are no claims in Capitol Forest. It's state owned public land and can't be claimed but it is not a state park, there's orv trails, horse trails, hiking trails, improved and primitive campgrounds and logging roads scattered all over the place even carrying a firearm is legal in most areas. Mining is allowed per Gold and Fish rules and seasons.
Here's a bit more info you'll need to know before coming down.
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrT...0290.pdf/RK=0/RS=x98dl.q4eVTU2WbbprzcykR00SI-
Also search around for more info on use rules for the forest as well as maps.
It's administered by DNR and the regulations are pretty minimal and posted at most entry roads and camp areas.
The gold is small, flat, glacial deposit but is spread mostly all along the creek in the gravel deposits. You won't find piles of it but should find a little color. Look at youtube for videos from Waddell creek.
COME ON DOWN :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JerseyJoe

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your info from land matters is correct, there are no claims in Capitol Forest. It's state owned public land and can't be claimed but it is not a state park, there's orv trails, horse trails, hiking trails, improved and primitive campgrounds and logging roads scattered all over the place even carrying a firearm is legal in most areas. Mining is allowed per Gold and Fish rules and seasons.
Here's a bit more info you'll need to know before coming down.
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrT...0290.pdf/RK=0/RS=x98dl.q4eVTU2WbbprzcykR00SI-
Also search around for more info on use rules for the forest as well as maps.
It's administered by DNR and the regulations are pretty minimal and posted at most entry roads and camp areas.
The gold is small, flat, glacial deposit but is spread mostly all along the creek in the gravel deposits. You won't find piles of it but should find a little color. Look at youtube for videos from Waddell creek.
COME ON DOWN :icon_thumleft:

Wow, so much information, thank you! The Gold and Fish pamphlet says Waddell Creek can only be prospected from Aug1-Sept30. I was hoping to take my first trip in June so I'll need to find another location until that opens up. Thanks for clearing up the forest/park confusion. I've watched more videos than I can remember at this point but I'll be sure to check on the specific creek for videos, I hadn't even thought of that!

You guys are great!

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look under prospecting without timing restrictions. You can prospect/dig outside the water, pan and/or use an un-powered sluice(under 3sq.ft) in the river year round, you can set up and use battery powered equipment outside the water like a mini-highbanker(under 3sq.ft.) supplied by a 12volt pump as long as you set up where the dirty water doesn't get back in the river on most all other rivers in the state as well. The Aug-Sept timeline in for dredging, using gas engines and sluice boxes up to 10sq.ft.

OP
OP
J

JerseyJoe

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look under prospecting without timing restrictions. You can prospect/dig outside the water, pan and/or use an un-powered sluice(under 3sq.ft) in the river year round, you can set up and use battery powered equipment outside the water like a mini-highbanker(under 3sq.ft.) supplied by a 12volt pump as long as you set up where the dirty water doesn't get back in the river on most all other rivers in the state as well. The Aug-Sept timeline in for dredging, using gas engines and sluice boxes up to 10sq.ft.

Good to know, thanks for clarifying. Looks like I'll be good to go for June.

OP
OP
J

JerseyJoe

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I convinced a buddy to take a day trip with me out to Waddell today. We were there for about three hours and sifted through a gravel bar and panned out as much we could. We collected every fleck that shined with color. We brought it all home to test and research it. I'm 99% sure that we found a fleck of gold! It's only one but that's more than what I was expecting for my first time out. I may also have passed my gold fever to my buddy haha. Thanks for the advice fellas!

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
If you come down to Waddel again, send me a PM. I live in the area, and have a lot of gear. (I'll be in Yellowstone 6/13 - 6/26).

crusty

Jan 8, 2015
Falcon CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Angus Macgirk Alaskan Flare & Grub Stake
10" Dream mat sluice
Bazooka 36" Prospector
Keene Highbanker/2.5" dredge with GH matting
Keene 3 stage 4" dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good morning from SeaTac folks! I recently retired (in Colorado) after 30 years in the Air Force and am home visiting family (I grew up in Bellingham). I drove up, stopping in AZ to do a little prospecting (only got a couple small bits).

Hoping to do a little prospecting and in asking aroind, a few folks suggested Waddell Creek and a google search pointed me to this thread. Is this a good time of year to work this Creek? I've got a small and larger Angus MacGirk sluices. Anywhere I can camp in my small trailer?

We've got a lot of small stuff in CO, so sounds like I'd be right at home here. Not afraid of cold water; used to working in icy creeks in CO.

Thanks in advance! If any of y'all make it to CO, I'd be happy to return the favor!

My little prospecting shack
IMG_20160301_153014427_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

crusty

Jan 8, 2015
Falcon CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
10" Dream mat sluice
Bazooka 36" Prospector
Keene 3 stage 4" dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After some more googling, I've got a couple more questions. Since the campgrounds are closed, which one would be better for walking in, MM or middle fork? since I'll be parking outside the campground, will I need a discover pass? (Not that I mind supporting the state parks, just not sure I NEED one).

I've got a 16 year old nephew in Bellingham; gonna bring him along; might just make a Prospector out of him :)

Here's a couple pics of my spot I was working in CO in Jan and what I got there that day (with 2.5" dredge)

Attachments

• IMG_20160330_094939.jpg
    IMG_20160330_094939.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20160223_165359.jpg
    IMG_20160223_165359.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 172

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
middle waddle trail. It's the 1st road into a parking lot. Park by the road and walk thru the lot. Follow the trail and stay left. You'll need a discover pass for the vehicle and a copy of the Gold and Fish pamplet, that's the rule book and hpa all in one. It's free online and can be downloaded and printed or download a copy onto your phone if capable. Here's the link Mineral Prospecting & Placer Mining Regulations and Permits (Gold and Fish Pamphlet) | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife

crusty

Jan 8, 2015
Falcon CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
10" Dream mat sluice
Bazooka 36" Prospector
Keene 3 stage 4" dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
middle waddle trail. It's the 1st road into a parking lot. Park by the road and walk thru the lot. Follow the trail and stay left. You'll need a discover pass for the vehicle and a copy of the Gold and Fish pamplet, that's the rule book and hpa all in one. It's free online and can be downloaded and printed or download a copy onto your phone if capable. Here's the link Mineral Prospecting & Placer Mining Regulations and Permits (Gold and Fish Pamphlet) | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife

Awesome, thanks! I assume, like anywhere, the further away from the main access point to the creek you walk, the more likely you'll get to less worked ground? Not afraid to walk a couple miles to get away from traffic. How many folks are out there this time of year? I'm guessing with the nicer weather there should be folks out there this weekend.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Since it's all flood gold, there should be some just about anywhere the gravel shows even if it was worked last year and usually in the top 12". Try right at the bridge at the bottom of the trail, it's always been fair to me, down river has some nice gravel also. Don't expect much but you should find color. 2-3 per pan is average. When you see tiny garnets and some small green and red stones along with black sand then you're in the right area.
Seems like there's more rivers up above Seattle with more and larger gold but I have only read others reports and never been there myself. As for the weekend, it's hit and miss as far as seeing others. Good luck and enjoy!

crusty

Jan 8, 2015
Falcon CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
10" Dream mat sluice
Bazooka 36" Prospector
Keene 3 stage 4" dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Appreciate the response! Not looking for the mother lode; it's like the old saying goes, a bad day panning is better than a good day at work! Just excited to get out in my home state adn introduce my nephew to prospecting!

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just got back from Middle Waddell and M.M. areas. Only did some panning and prospecting to see how the river was. It's still kind of high so not as much gravel to work in. Found a few flakes but was disappointed with the results. I guess I need to do a bit more hiking to get out of the easy access over worked areas to find some fresh gold bearing gravel.

crusty

Jan 8, 2015
Falcon CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
10" Dream mat sluice
Bazooka 36" Prospector
Keene 3 stage 4" dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Headed down there in the morning. Definitely different to not be able to dig IN the creek; don't have that problem in CO!

crusty

Jan 8, 2015
Falcon CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
10" Dream mat sluice
Bazooka 36" Prospector
Keene 3 stage 4" dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Made it to middle fork campground today; headed to the right of the campground and poked around a bit. Didn't find Anything the first couple spots. Crossed the creek and worked an inside corner gravel bank and finally started getting color. Interesting how little black sand there is there. Got about 40 bits of color. Headed back tomorrow! Nice place there; enjoy being in the WA forest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread