Gemstones in WV

W

WVTreasure

Supposedly there are no gemstones in WV, according to geologists, however Opals have been found at Coopers Rock and the third largest diamond found in the US was found in southern WV (the Punch Jones diamond) proving geologist wrong.

I have studied gemology and I am certified in Colored stones and Diamonds through the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) and I can tell you that they are here. Finding them however is a different story, as most gemstones do not look as the finished product.

I personally have found aquamarines and a lavender sapphire, your best bet is to look in sandstone deposits, conglomerates that contain white quartz sometimes contain other materials and are glacially formed, meaning that the materials are not indigenous to WV but were transported long ago by a glacier. Look for the colors blue, green, pink, and purple. You will be surprised on what you can find when you know what to look for. One other tip. Water and Sunlight are the easiest way to find these gemstones.

Good hunting.

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The glaciers never reached WV, so how could they have formed the mineral deposits?

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
True, the glaciers never reached WV, but they were knock knock knockin' on heavens door.

A large lake of glacial melt had formed to the north of WV, because of a huge ice dam. The subsequent deterioration of the dam resulted in alluvial deposits along the northern part of the state, as well as drainage changes and deposits in the southern part of the state. The gold that has been found in the state is proof of glacial deposits reaching into WV. Any gem material that was carried along could also be found in the state.

Aside from that, there is much gem material to be had naturally in this state, in the form of various flints and cherts.

Good luck!.............HH

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MEinWV said:
True, the glaciers never reached WV, but they were knock knock knockin' on heavens door.

A large lake of glacial melt had formed to the north of WV, because of a huge ice dam. The subsequent deterioration of the dam resulted in alluvial deposits along the northern part of the state, as well as drainage changes and deposits in the southern part of the state. The gold that has been found in the state is proof of glacial deposits reaching into WV. Any gem material that was carried along could also be found in the state.

Aside from that, there is much gem material to be had naturally in this state, in the form of various flints and cherts.

Cool. I grew up in Kearneysville, WV. In which part of the state do you reside?

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Lake Monongahela maybe, "ice dam" was at or about Pittsburgh or roughly half way between Pitt and WVU if memory serves me...lake was formed stretching south down into or beyond Clarksburg. Possibly some glacial activity in extreme northern panhandle areas. Not sure if I would think that glaciers deposited anything anywhere south of there, drainage patterns would not have fit deposition into interior WV. But heck anything is a possibility, I just wouldn't waste much time seeking them in my area.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Kiros32 said:
MEinWV said:

Cool. I grew up in Kearneysville, WV. In which part of the state do you reside?
The other side of the State, northern panhandle.

suwannee pirate

Feb 12, 2006
Lake City FL
Detector(s) used
excalibur,garrett,micropulse
Found small amount of gold very near Hawks nest state park in 1977 in a small stream beside the road,a distant cousin found a nugget when she was 13 close to the town of Tunnelton Wva. Dad bought it and had WVa pendants and tie tacs made out of it at the dental school in Morgantown.Thats a real old mountain chain there, not like out west. everything is pretty much covered up.On the eastern side of the state we owned a 1000 acres strip crossing Cannan Valley .On the Cabin Mountain side of the valley the top of Cabin Mountain there is nothing but broken angular boulders of granate so deep that there is no ground to walk on just large broken rocks .I asked a geologist about that and he said thats where the glacier ended. Dad and I hiked up the mountain when I was a kid ,nothing but big broken rocks and blueberry bushes growing out of the cracks. Huge juicy blueberries that tasted great after the climb up there.There were black bear up there too eating the berries ,they didn't seem concerned about our being there. West Virginia is a wonderful place with many treasures to be found ,that day it was enjoying blueberries on top of Cabin Mountain with my Dad.The best place to find the opals at Coopers rock is to hike down the mountain from the park to the river in the valley below . The hike is pretty steep so a walking stick is handy. When you get down to the river work your way upstream checking out the river gravel .Several nice gems have been found and the park officals won't bother you down there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread