parkersburg

chrisanddiane

Dec 7, 2009
Northern WV
Detector(s) used
Whites V3 Whites XLT & Garrett Ace250 W/ 2 ProPointers
If by Newberry School you mean on 124 in OH below Belpre I wouldn'r bother, I tested out the V3 for 2 days on it while my wife used the ACE, I'm not saying it's hunted out but it is certainly getting there. I'll post that slice if you are still intersted, it's on the Belleville26nw map. We did find a few wheats, a war nickel and a sweet '67 indian head there... but you probably don't want to hear that.

GaB

Attachments

• newberry_Belleville26nw.jpg
    newberry_Belleville26nw.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 627
OP
OP
jeffmrgan

jeffmrgan

Apr 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
explorer se /whites xlt
yeah thats the one i was talking about,is it still standing? just looking for some new places to hunt, i enjoy finding indians and my goal this year is tofind a large cent. we shall see, closest i've been is 1859 indian head.

chrisanddiane

Dec 7, 2009
Northern WV
Detector(s) used
The school isn't standing but theres a concrete slab there, assuming it was used as porch. Foundation stones are there as well.
As far as large cents they are out there... just don't know where. A friend in Ritchie county has dug several over the years. My Flying Eagle is as close as I have got...actually, you can't get any closer as it was the first small cent.
As for ideas about places to go - that is the great question. Frankly, my wife and I just decide on an area and drive it until we find an old church or something. We hit all my bookmarks in Google earth along the way.
I've got my eye on an elementary school in Ohio for this weekend, probably Sunday when there's a near zero chance of people being around.
I did Veto school (1870ish) last week, that's where I got the Eagle from and a bunch of old wheats (newest was a '39). Just kinda stumbled on it on the right day as the guy next door was out in his yard and asked him about it. He gave me permission to hunt as the owners are out-o-staters. The school house is still standing and I wasn't even out looking, I was out picking up a craigslist purchase.
So in short, it's 50% leg work, 50% research and often times 100% dumb luck.

GaB

Attachments

• 148731559_db9e5455d3.jpg
    148731559_db9e5455d3.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 411
OP
OP
jeffmrgan

jeffmrgan

Apr 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
explorer se /whites xlt
tried to hunt avery street but too muddy, did find some cool old bottles,1899 indian 1919wheat and a few others not sure if wheats or indians (soaking now) will post some pictures if they clean up any.i spoke with a groundskeeper at city park, he said a friend of his found a large cent at PHS.i've found lots of wheats there, but not a single indian.

chrisanddiane

Dec 7, 2009
Northern WV
Detector(s) used
Got out for a while today, great weather. Found a metric sh!tload of clad, like 8 bucks worth. The last thing I found today was the only old thing and it was yet another head scratcher: 1886 british half penny. Now figure out how that got to Vincent Ohio. And the real odd part was it was the only thing I found at this one location.
Starting to get the hang of the V3, still hven't messed with the settings, keeping it on stock coin program. This thing is incredible, i'm starting to get confident enough to NOT dig certain targets, especially those lower VDI's. Starting to really understand what all the info means or, at the very least, understand when to dig and when to keep on walking.
Crappy weather for the next few days will give me sometime to find my wife a new detector, got my eye on a dfx300 on craigslist. She has an Ace250 but I think she will do much better with something high end, she is a master of patience.

Enjoy the rain
Chris
(and yes, I attach random images... this one is more random than most)

Attachments

• 120057727323.gif
    120057727323.gif
    627.6 KB · Views: 536

bigmac58

Mar 24, 2007
Parkersburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's Classic ID
Hey fellas,

Been a few days since I've checked in and it looks like you're already out and hunting. Haven't had a chance, yet, since trying my luck on the frozen Quincy Hill. I've got to get out there and swing a little.

Hopefully we can get together this season and hunt. I really need the guidance of some experienced hunters.

TTYL,

Jeremy

OP
OP
jeffmrgan

jeffmrgan

Apr 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
explorer se /whites xlt
got 6 more wheats and my second silver nickle of the year. also got part of a lead toy soldier on a horse

chrisanddiane

Dec 7, 2009
Northern WV
Detector(s) used
Here's my top finds (and my wife's top find) thus far. So far no silver except a few war nickels and plenty of wheats. I also found that no date flying eagle which was uber cool- hoping a date will come out on it eventually.
The first is my wife's incredible 1844 Bank of Montreal half penny.
The second is my 1866 British Half Penny.
I also found a bunch neat 'relics' including, what I think, is an unused piece of grape shot, not sure though. Going to have a friend look at it before I proclaim it as such. I also found an old token for a free pack of cigarettes, a huge copper button and some other stuff. All in all nothing to complain about aside from the silver drought.

Gab
(the shiney, smeared stuff is a protectant to stop them from corroding, not scratches)

Attachments

• 1844 BOM.jpg
    1844 BOM.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 376
  • 1866.jpg
    1866.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 377
OP
OP
jeffmrgan

jeffmrgan

Apr 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
explorer se /whites xlt
very cool half penny, gotta wonder how it got here :dontknow:

chrisanddiane

Dec 7, 2009
Northern WV
Detector(s) used
Silver draught over, 1918 mercury. Made the most beautiful noise on the V3, was seriously beginning to think I had a problem with it. Just not in the right spots becuase that dime was ~10 inches down and there was no mistaking the hit and VDI.
Also pulled a 1929 Buffalo which was pretty cool as well as a slew of Old wheats in the pre '20's range.
Saturday the wife and I are heading to ohio to one of the ghost towns I have mapped for a full day of hunting. Hoping to hit pay-dirt.

Gab

Attachments

• loadofdimes.jpg
    loadofdimes.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 373

Osubottleman

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2011
Just saw this thread i live in Vienna and looking for some guys to hunt with.I use a AT pro and a Pro Pointer. I have found 10 silvers this summer so ive dont pretty good just hunting areas that has been pounded forever.Id be interested in a club that would meet once a month or so.I also have a buddy who just got into it.LMK guys.I think theres atleast 5 to 10 guys within a 20 mile area that detects.

edwv2007

Tenderfoot
May 28, 2013
parkersburg wv.
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im frm p burg and am willing to go any time with anyone any where hit me up we will go my father also md's

kbungard

Oct 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saw this thread i live in Vienna and looking for some guys to hunt with.I use a AT pro and a Pro Pointer. I have found 10 silvers this summer so ive dont pretty good just hunting areas that has been pounded forever.Id be interested in a club that would meet once a month or so.I also have a buddy who just got into it.LMK guys.I think theres atleast 5 to 10 guys within a 20 mile area that detects.
I think there's a lot more than you think! I live in Vienna and I have been detecting since 1981.

StuV

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2014
Flatonia, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's good to read about the area I call home. My grandfather owned and operated the General store in Petroleum W.Va. I remember seeing the old pump station in Valcano when I was younger. Have any of you had any luck there?

StuV

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread