What is 28 pounds of 99.99% pure liquid mercury worth?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are you digging up ancient threads? If you want mercury, just do an internet search for a supply house and go buy it.

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a note here.

If you do sell mercury, you must give an MSDS - doesn't matter if you are a private party or an individual. (some places don't, but, its a Federal thing, not a state thing - EPA) (for those who don't know: Material Safety Data Sheet - you can print one on line), and they need to certif that they are over 18, and received an MSDS.

Beth

PS: I remember playing with mercury in school. We had a heck of a time chasing the "quicksilver". And, who'd a thunk - no one got sick or died.

Of course, they don't mind it if we have all been carrying around mouthfuls of the stuff in our fillings.. :laughing9: :laughing9: :dontknow:

MY gosh, I should have Mercury poisoning by now if it's in fillings!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shipping via USPS might be a problem. Watch who ya sell it to.

I looked into this a couple of months back. It's illegal to send via USPS. As far as FedEx/UPS...basically you have to be an authorized haz-mat shipper to ship it. Finding a third party to pack and ship it for you can be difficult.

A local antiques dealer who specializes in old barometers might be interested. Or you can take it to your local haz-mat day.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Kool posts I'm sure everybody remembers rubbing it on pennies and turning them silver, as a kid I remember having a quart jar full, but I don't remember what ever happened to it.

Snakeyes, When are off to Ancho?

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in grade school, early 70's, we used to get a vile of mercury from the teacher and play with it on our desk.

I think there are minimal vapors at room temperature, when you heat it up is when it becomes dangerous. Of course I'm no expert.

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might want to strain it through chamois cloth to see if any golds in it. DO NOT heat it fumes are lethal.

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used it for years in milling hard rock gold.

One of my VA doctors found out and ran a blood test for mercury on me and found very low normal levels.
i was trained in the safe use of mercury and had about 25 pounds i used at the mine i was working.

The funny part when we shut down the mine i weighed out my nalgene mercury bottle and found i had gained 4 pounds and now had 29 pounds.

The ore in the mine i was working had small amounts of mercury in it and i had recovered the native mercury.

The best way to store mercury is in a brass or steel mercury flask or in nalgene lab bottles

Mercury should be stored with a cover of mild caustic soda water
this traps any vapor and prevents the formation of mercury oxides. and charges your mercury making it better for gold recovery.
one good way to make sodium mercury is to mix a small amount of metallic sodium with dry mercury in a Mortar and pestle and then add a small amount of water

Mercury will hold gold pound for pound.
one pound of mercury will hold about 1 pound of gold. at that point the mercury will not flow and is just a silver dough like mass.
i have seen this in mill cleanup a number of times

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[Mercury and Gold Extraction Process: Dangerous?

Gentlemen: vit "C" will also eliminate heavy metals from your system. I used it to remove arsenic successfully.
As for mercury, yes, always take max precautions. I am pasting a few posts on my experience with it .
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will shift a bit tonight, It reminds me of the time that I flew up to our mercury mine in the Sierras, unannounced. Naturally there was no-one waiting to meet me, so I shouldered my bag and set off for the mine some 12 miles away.

. When I arrived, there was still no one around, so after eating a bit and drinking "my" EXCELLENT coffee, I decided to put my sleeping bag next to the Mercury retort oven. We had three 6" tubes working.

it was nice and warm, so I quickly drifted off to sleep, I was partially awakened about 3 in the morning as one of the dogs was snuggling up between me and the oven for warmth. I like doggies and they help keeping one warm at night in the bush.

The next morning I rolled over to see which of the dogs had used me for a sleeping partner, only to go nose to snout of one of the biggest Piggies that I have ever seen.She must have weighed close to 1000 lbs and had absolutely no odor whatsoever. She was toasty warm, sign. We eyed each other for a few moments then I had to roll back and go get something to eat. Guess who followed me around for the rest of the day.?

I suppose that since we had slept together we were sorta engaged sigh.

Don Jose de La Mancha
~~~~~

Don Jose... I think one would worry more about sleeping next to a mercury retort oven than sleeping with a pig. I mean, in my experiences, I... well... what is a mercury retort oven again
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good evening WXSb: These were 3 sealed 6" tubes with exit set up so that they couldn't suck bk water, yet prevented any escape of the Mercury, effectively a closed circuit.

I have been exposed to Hg since I was a Little kiddie bk in 1823, used to make silver pennies and during WW-2 sheesh. I was a Bomb sight mech. and Master Horizontal Bombardier. We had to work in sealed Quonset huts, metal huts, with no windows. since the Nordan Bombsight was still considered top secret.

As a result the interior in the tropics ran around 120 - 130 F. We washed the parts in Carbon Tetrachloride, now considered an extremely toxic Carcinogen We also used pools of open Mercury as gravity leveled mirrors to adjust the sights. In between times, we squirted mercury with hypodermic needles at the flies.

In other words, the interior of the hut was a saturated pool of presently untouchable chemicals, metals,and the concentrated vapors and skin contact of both. Yet, despite my wife's fondest belief, I am not an idiot, since I easily qualified for Mensa.

Frankly, I know of none of my fellow men, that had any complications from the exposure. Sometimes it makes me a bit suspicious that we are being over protected.

Under the circumstance, I had no qualms about sleeping by the Retorts with my intended, the piggie, for the next few nights.. It was cooooold up there.

Don Jose de La Mancha
~~~~~~~~~~
I too was exposed to mercury repeatedly as a child, mostly making it stick to coins and then probably putting them in my mouth. But as for sleeping with pigs, I'm hesitant to discuss that. At least most of them were cute, as I remember.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So gentlemen, just be careful, used properly it has no effective danger, like anything else, even my addiction, COFFEE.

Don Jose de La Mancha .

Last edited:

stesav

Aug 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i don't need it to be shipped to me. i just need to know where to find it and i will come to see it. Thank you

hi how are you I in based in the UK and I have 7lbs of liquid mercury that im wanting to sell

mr_rich

Aug 21, 2013
Ormond Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I traded a kid some prized matchbox cars for a small bottle of silver mercury when I was a kid. I knew it was poisonous, and some small amounts got spilled in my room on the carpet and in the basement. I put the bottle in my top dresser drawer and forgot about it. I found it about a year later on its side and half of it was gone. It probably spilled out into my dresser but I could not find any? I cant remember what I did with the rest I may have gave it to my science teacher. I'm not sure if I got brain damage but I'm still alive and that was 35 years ago. :) Maybe lost some memory.

Also I heard of a cool trick miners did with gold amalgam putting it in a potato in a fire over night and getting the gold out in the morning. I don't know if its true?

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must be a Charter member to offer to sell. If you see your post gone that is why.

redtailvision

Nov 3, 2012
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I now have LED bulbs, but when I first got the CFL's the box said to contact the EPA if one was broken! They didn't help the electric bill as much as changing to all LED's

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anybody know where the term "mad as a hatter" came from? Hat makers in Europe used to use mercury on the brims of hats to soften them up and many ended up going stark raving mad.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Does anybody know where the term "mad as a hatter" came from? Hat makers in Europe used to use mercury on the brims of hats to soften them up and many ended up going stark raving mad.

We used to play with it as a kid. Took some to school. makes quarters shiny. Handing back and forth eventually dropping it on the floor it turned into tiny beads everywhere. Nobody really said anything about any danger but the teachers scolded us to stop playing with it.

Last edited:

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The original post is 8 years old. Who digs up this stuff?

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The original post is 8 years old. Who digs up this stuff?

:laughing7: I don't know, I don't even know how I came across this, I was on Craigslist looking for Bobcat grading work and this popped up. Yep, I used to play with it all the time too, I just gave a friend of mine about 4 lbs of the stuff, I just liked the old bottles it came in so I kept those.

Scrapple

Mar 2, 2008
Delmarva
Detector(s) used
Don't have one yet...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Jody - Well, we didn't intentionally break them - Mom would have killed us! They were an expensive item to replace at that time, according to her! - but, yes, if they broke, that mercury was SO much fun to play with! (1960's)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread