• front_door_open.jpg
    front_door_open.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 701

Kimbrough

Jun 18, 2006
Signal Mountain, TN
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
That looks like a very old clock! Seth Thomas clocks are highly collectible. I recently inherited a '40's model Medbury from my grandmother and have done a bit of research on them. Did you know the Seth Thomas company made the clock at Grand Central Station in New York?
Most ST clocks have a serial number on them in typeset. It usually represents the month and year the clock was made. Are there any other numbers printed on the clock - perhaps behind the pendulum or bell?
Try this website for more info:

http://mb.nawcc.org

or this: http://www.collectorsweekly.com/clocks/seth-thomas - good links if you scroll down.
Good luck!

OP
OP
T

tinykin

Sep 13, 2009
Thanks for your help and I will pursue the links you sent. There is some characters and perhaps a serial number stamped on the works behind the fact. I can't quite see it so will probably have to take the face off. It seems only attached by two screws so not likely problematic, I just have to figure out how to get the hands off. Thanks again and with post the info when I have it.

fume happy

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2009
I can see your clock was made in Thomaston, which puts it in the last quarter of the 1800s. It looks like a "mini cottage" which I believe are more desirable than standard cottages. If you post a picture of the movement I can tell you if it is 30hr or 8 day. Also, whatever you do, DO NOT spray WD40 on the movement! :) All the veneer is there, so that's good, and nobody has painted it turquoise or pink. The dial and the lower mirror appear original with some loss. Full retail is probably 215-260+, ebay/auction probably a lot less.
The nawcc message board might be able to give you more information, as I usually don't go after these particular types of clocks. However they cannot give a value.

*I am not a licensed appraiser*
~Fumey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread