What is a Sure sweat seam antique fire extinguisher worth?

kicker70

Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a sure sweat seam fire extinguisher in the woods and I've heard that they were made in 1890 to 1932. I was just wondering how much I should sell it for. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to collect fire extinguishers and actually sold a few of this exact model.

In excellent condition, I got $35 to $45 plus shipping. This was almost 10 years ago, so things may have changed a bit. Unfortunately, since it sat in the woods, it probably isn't in great shape.

WM

cmattdvc

Greenie
Mar 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to collect fire extinguishers and actually sold a few of this exact model.

In excellent condition, I got $35 to $45 plus shipping. This was almost 10 years ago, so things may have changed a bit. Unfortunately, since it sat in the woods, it probably isn't in great shape.

WM

Medic,
Thanks for your reply, kicker70 is my 13y/o and he found that kicking around in the woods today.

Let me ask a follow up question, do you know where it can be restored? It means more to me since my son found it than anything else. Heck, only reason he wants to sell it is to buy more gold mining stuff, lol

Thanks
Matt

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like it is mechanically stable from the pics. I see that the top ring is bent. That is very common. People used to pull them off the wall then slam them upside down to activate the chemicals inside. Essentially, it was a vinegar and baking soda type reaction. Once started, you couldn't stop it.

I actually saw quite a few where the pressure could not be released due to too small or blocked hose. It would split the seam in the extinguisher.

Pull the top ring off (its threaded) gently and see how it looks inside. They are usually brass with copper or brass name plates over them. Any kind of brass polish and a LOT of elbow grease should shine it up. They almost all came with a red rubber hose and an odd clear plastic nozzle which may be difficult to find.

I always liked old extinguishers. I was a firefighter for years and found some connection to them. An odd piece of history that most people completely bypass.

WM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread