uncirculated coin rolls (modern coins i.e. 2013-2015)

msa9179

Feb 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
I apologize in advance if this question has been addressed, but I honestly haven't looked too far into it yet.
I am relatively new to coin collecting and coin roll hunting. I thought I would just make a stab at buying
some coin rolls from my bank and see what happened.....
2 rolls of quarters, 5 of dimes, 5 of nickels, and 10 of pennies......
quarters were all circulated, so good hunting there (although no terrific finds, but at least there was a chance).
but, dimes, nickels and pennies were all apparently brand new 2014 rolls. For example, I opened a few of
each denomination, and found perfect uniformity in all dates and mint marks in each roll (at lease the
ones I opened). I assume the ones not yet opened are the same based on the coins showing on the ends. All of the cent rolls
contain 2014-D, and all look like mint condition (so I assume they may be new mint rolls that have just
never been opened). The nickels and dimes, were the same.....entire rolls with a uniform date and mint mark, and
look like brand new condition.
So, the question is...... was this a total strike out, and should I just open the rolls anyway and recycle them
back into the free coin machine at my bank, or is there ANY value at all in keeping some of the rolls I have not
yet opened so they remain in the original machine rolls? I figure in 50-100 years or so an unopened roll of original
mint-rolled 2013 uncirculated pennies might be worth something, but what about now? Since I just picked these
up from the bank and that is all I got, I know they are not rare or anything. I assume there can't be a market for
these on ebay or anything as they are readily available at the bank. So other than being worth something
to my great-grandchildren in 100 years, is there any other reason I should keep these now? I am 35, so I don't
see them being excessively rare anytime in my lifetime.
Thanks so much for any input, and good hunting to you all.

Michael

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Michael,
Welcome to Treasure Net !
If I were 35 again, I'd invest in quality and rarity, not quantity and abundance.
I'd also be saving storage space while doing so; and, I'd have something to talk about and show (off).
Don......

OP
OP
M

msa9179

Feb 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michael,
Welcome to Treasure Net !
If I were 35 again, I'd invest in quality and rarity, not quantity and abundance.
I'd also be saving storage space while doing so; and, I'd have something to talk about and show (off).
Don......

Thanks Don! I suppose my initial thought is to cash in this $40 (give or take) worth of coins and buy a nice piece of silver or an old Morgan dollar or something.....rather than taking up room in my safe with bunches of rolls that may not be worth anything in my lifetime. But, I wanted a second opinion. I recently watched a video on youtube where a guy seemed to like that he was getting modern uncirculated rolls and he was going to keep them, so it made me a little curious. Thanks so much for your
quick reply! I recently was able to join a credit union-type bank that has a free coin machine. So, I can cash back in the bulk of the non-keepers without paying a fee (like with coinstar machines). So no harm done in buying these as far as I can see....... I guess I will just drop them back in the machine and move on to the next purchase.....nothing lost! thanks again!
Michael

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What DOn Said, they will never be worth any significant value above face. Recycle & keep going.

You are better off keeping the pre 1982 Cu cents, they are double, sometimes almost triple face value.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate getting new coins in my boxes,most of the time I will dump it back before I leave the bank because of the all shiny end coins, I may keep one roll for the future but that's it.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch: Focus on the older stuff for collecting. Modern coinage it all depends on rarity, they make so many coins every year the stuff is worth nothing more than face value. :dontknow: Collect things that already have some value for your grand kids. A silver half is already basically worth more than a $5 roll of 2015 dimes. :thumbsup: Even the old buffalo nickels they made millions of them that's why most of them are worth nothing... ???

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
While Don and the other folks have given some great advice, sometimes the uncirculated Cent rolls have value! Although it has been awhile since I attended a Coin Show, there was and I am sure still are many Coin Dealers that sell the exact same rolls that you received from the Bank. Many make a killing at it because they purchase them at $0.50 a roll when they first hit the Banks and then resell them on average of $1.50 to $3.00 a roll or more. The same goes for U.S. Mint Rolls of Lincoln Cents. While the Mints usually have a limit on how many coin rolls, Mint Sets, Proof Sets, Commemorative Coin Sets and individual bullion type coins, many Coin Dealers purchase their' limit but have others that work for them or family members signed up to get everything they can when they are released from the Mints. Since it may be awhile before Banks and some other sources gets these coin products, these Coin Dealers can make a killing until the supplies make it to the Banks and other sources. Many a novice and even hardened Coin Collector will pay a bonus to be one of the first folks to get coins, coin rolls or sets for their' Collection. While you might not ever make a killing from the Cent rolls you received from the Bank, if they are truly uncirculated, solid roll Mint State Red coins, then I believe you could still get $1.00 to $1.50 per roll or more at a Flea Market or via Craigslist or other free online Buy/Sell/Trade venue. Just don't put such Cent rolls on eBay unless they are highly sought after rolls such as uncirculated Red Rolls of 1969-S, 1970-S, 1971-S, 1972-P, 1983-P, 1995-P and a few other Dated rolls. A good way to find out what Cent rolls are in high demand and fetching high prices, is to check sold Auction items on eBay.

Good luck!

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread