Old Bible

Lisashere

Greenie
Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have this bible that I'm trying to get information about. I don't know what it says on the outside wood cover. Inside there is handwriting by my relative that says "Bought in Jerusalem January 1875". It measures about 8" x 5.5" x 2". Any information and value is much appreciated! Thanks!

IMG_3569.jpg

IMG_3570.jpg

IMG_3571.jpg

IMG_3572.jpg

astralea1692

Feb 28, 2015
southwestern Indiana, USA
Detector(s) used
Nope-not yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on the publishing co., the edition, ANY illistrations & by whom, (some of the old masters had biblical art, that was only in a bible/s-which ups the ante)....also a reputable antique book dealer can help. Also depends on how big the production was & if any are still about or in decent shape....for no reason, let the dealer think you want to sell...unless you really do & you are sure of their rep. A collector would pay more..please wrap in acid free paper & use white cotton, acid free gloves to handle it. Good luck!

OP
OP
L

Lisashere

Greenie
Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much astralea1692! You gave me a lot of valuable information. I appreciate it! :-)

S

stefen

Looks like Olivewood...it tends to darken with age regardless of exposure...:thumbsup:

Pennypacker

Banned
May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Realistically it is not worth very much, it is quite common for a somebody to come across one of these ornate Bible and think it is worth a lot of money.

As nice as it is, there are larger, much nicer ones. So unless there is something particularly interesting about it or the printer, you would have a surprisingly hard time giving it away. lol

There is estimated to be more then 5 billion of them sold through out history, followed by countless copies of Quotations from Chairman Mao Tse-tung, the Qur'an, Don Quixote (315 million), A tale of Two Cites (200 million), Lord of the Rings (150 million) to put it in perspective.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To say it's one of five billion and it is not worth much would be a disservice to the OP. Looks like 150 years old and an interesting find.

S

stefen

Looks like Olivewood...it tends to darken with age regardless of exposure...:thumbsup:

As an after-thought, your relative probably purchased the box itself in Israel and not the bible...

Olive wood curios are typical tourist items...most of these are sold near Christian churches or pilgrimage sites.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I purchased an 1872 Hitchcock's New and complete analysis of the Holy Bible : or, the whole of the Old and New Testaments arranged according to subjects in twenty-seven books, off Craigslist for $50. I see them on eBay frequently up to $200. This one won't be sold.

As said above by GaRebel, the value is inside. Not the same as your bible, but I'd put a similar value on it - basically what the buyer is willing to pay for it. That's a family bible from your family. You would regret selling it at some point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread