Inherited arrowhead collection

riderboy

Jan 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I inherited this recently from my Mother-In-Law. I know absolutely nothing about them, even if they are authentic or reproductions, where they are from or what they are worth. My wife's family is from central Illinois (Peoria area) if that helps. But again, I have zero information on their origin. Thanks everyone. I'm really not a treasure hunter, but this looked like a good place to start! Tom

Grimcow

May 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jesus i find arrowheads all the time but rarely keep them.. never really thought they were worth anything. I always was under the impression it was illegal to keep them anyways.. Will have to do some researching :) Anyways cool collection man!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Jesus i find arrowheads all the time but rarely keep them.. never really thought they were worth anything. I always was under the impression it was illegal to keep them anyways.. Will have to do some researching :) Anyways cool collection man!

The legality question is a legitimate one. You are permitted to keep finds from private property with permission from the owner. Artifacts cannot be removed from any federal land however, and punishments can be very stiff when enforced.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some great looking pieces. I live a couple hours North of Peoria, & that is typical of what I find up my way.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Arrowheads found on the surface of federal Public Lands are open to free collecting. Federal law specifically permits surface collection of arrowheads although digging for Indian artifacts is prohibited without permit on those same Public Lands.

From USC CHAPTER 1B - ARCHAEOLOGICAL RESOURCES PROTECTION

Sec. 470cc. Excavation and removal
(g) Removal of arrowheads located on ground surface
Nothing in subsection (d) of this section shall be deemed
applicable to any person with respect to the removal of arrowheads
located on the surface of the ground.
(subsection (d) is the requirement for a permit)

Sec. 470ff. Civil penalties
(3) No penalty shall be assessed under this section for the
removal of arrowheads located on the surface of the ground.

No permit needed and no penalty.

Go ahead and collect and keep your sunbaker arrowhead finds from the federal Public Lands in all the Public Land States ... even California.

Last edited:

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does that apply in California I thought our arrowheads had some kind of special powers that required them to be left in roadways and erosion zones or face dire penalties.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does that apply in California I thought our arrowheads had some kind of special powers that required them to be left in roadways and erosion zones or face dire penalties.

Only the arrowheads on California State lands have special powers. Those special powers are unknown to me and possibly limitless. I've heard tales of 4 year old children being fed to mountain lions by the California Legal Arrowhead Patrol (CLAP) for even thinking about arrowheads while walking. Luckily for small children California has very little State land. The CLAP squad has no special or legal powers when not on State owned lands.

Those arrowheads on the surface of the federal Public Lands do not have special powers that prevent their collection by passersby. Best to stay away from the CLAP traps and stick close to the Public Lands when looking towards the ground. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some nice one's there.I would keep them myself.Most of the money would be with that nice spade Imo.Got some really nice points there but most look feild grade,I mean they are still worth something but probably not what you are hoping.Would probably be better off just to keep them.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go rider,heres a few I was able to identify,should give you some idea. 027.JPG 035.JPG 042.JPG 043.JPG 028.JPG this one is the closest I could find to that stemmed piece on the bottom row third to the right 037.JPG 039.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread