What kind of sterling silver is this?

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found this old belt and buckle. The buckle is marked "Sterling. Mexico". Nothing else. It has a unique overlay design so I'm confused if it is all sterling? The overlay clearly looks different. Any thoughts?
dscn0931.jpg dscn0932.jpg

Attachments

• dscn0930.jpg
    dscn0930.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
In answer to the Title question, I was going to answer "the kind made from Silver"!!:icon_scratch::dontknow: All joking aside, the design overlays appear that they may be steel that has been blued unless they used a technique to tone the overlays then coated the entire buckle and belt retainer (or whatever they call them) to keep them from further toning.

Frank

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say no! Not sterling. The color doesn't look right...Could be the pics though......In the past I ran into a ton of this stuff, after filing and acid testing MOST of it was not actually sterling.........But, there is that chance that I'm wrong on this....So have it tested to be sure......Don't rely on anything, (Basically, There are exceptions, or means further inspection). that says sterling and Mexico!:laughing7: That green hue, is kind of an indicator......And the purposely black tarnished look, to "antique" it maybe to resemble enamel even......:dontknow:

I could be completely wrong, just doesn't look right to me!:laughing7:

Last edited:

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its is not 'sterling', but an Erling Christoffersen Buckle from Mexico.

Nice find!

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're amazing! Here, all along, I thought the "St" was worn off. Thx!

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, didnt mean to lead you astray, but I was goofing around!

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I would challenge anything from Mexico (and many other countries) that is marked as sterling. Are any parts magnetic? That is test #1. Magnetic = NOT silver.

Are there any spots worn or discolored to a brass or copper color? This indicates silver plating. Metal worn to brass or copper color = NOT silver.

What does the test kit indicate? Any reaction NOT listed as silver as indicated by your test kit = NOT silver.

Please note that in many cases of items manufactured outside the US hallmarks are lies. Only testing can be trusted.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Many things from my Southern neighbor are marked with what ever the maker thought would make a sale.
Not so different from "German Silver" that's not silver at all. Then like now the mark might not mean much.
Whatever you have it's probably more interesting regardless what it's made of. Silver's not worth much
these days.

OP
OP
V

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, no problem. I did a little research on Erling Christoffersen and his design style was no way similar to my buckle. Thanks for the feedback.

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
This one is so close! I thought I had it. Then I realized there are just some really subtle differences.. dang.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
There is only one kind of Sterling silver, that which contains at least and on average, 925 parts out of 1,000 of pure silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread