Metal Detecting

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 108

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Foster: You might want to check to see if the company is still in business, and your shares are still on the books. How long did your Grandfather have them?

In many states if a company can't get in touch with a shareholder the company must pass the shares to the state, which in turn will hold them in trust. Start with the Secretary of State's website and look up "unclaimed property."

Actually, that can be lucrative. I found a few hundred bucks for my inlaws, several thousand dollars for a local business - they didn't even say thank you! I found money for a local hospital, and the country sheriff's office (!).

Several years ago I told a guy at work about it and he located $10,000 for his father - with whom he wasn't particularly close. Even after that.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

OP
OP
Foster

Foster

Jan 19, 2011
Columbus, ms
Detector(s) used
White's Prism III, White's TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! The company is not still in business. The oldest is 1959. The most recent is 1967. I will check "unclaimed property."
Foster: You might want to check to see if the company is still in business, and your shares are still on the books. How long did your Grandfather have them?

In many states if a company can't get in touch with a shareholder the company must pass the shares to the state, which in turn will hold them in trust. Start with the Secretary of State's website and look up "unclaimed property."

Actually, that can be lucrative. I found a few hundred bucks for my inlaws, several thousand dollars for a local business - they didn't even say thank you! I found money for a local hospital, and the country sheriff's office (!).

Several years ago I told a guy at work about it and he located $10,000 for his father - with whom he wasn't particularly close. Even after that.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Foster:

Did the company go out of business or was it merged, acquired, or otherwise folded into another company?

Depending on when that happened, and if your grandfather was in touch with them, it's possible there are unclaimed dividends. That would probably involve check the "Unclaimed Property" website(s) with his name and, later, his Social Security Number.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Like Old Bookaroo said and companies don't always belly up. Some are acquired and the value doesn't just disappear.
I remember hearing of a lady that had some AT&T stock ( I think) bought in the late 20's if memory serves. The stock had rolled over a number of times and she had no idea.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a stock broker would be able to search that for you. Hopefully, the Company was acquired, and that will show up in the trace, life insurance companies always seem to live on.

I take it you have blanked out the name. If there is a name, not to cash, you will have to provide the ownership trail back to that name to transfer it from that estate to you. (if there is any value)

This is a great book to reference, perhaps your local library has it, Directory of Obsolete Securities. look up the company and it will tell you if it was sold, and what the common shares were treated. Good luck.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread