Need help identifying this pocket watch...is it worth anything ?

Radiohead

Mar 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had this pocket watch in my possession since the mid 80's. I remember finding it in the garage of an old house we used to live in when I was younger. Shoved it away in a box and recently discovered it again among "old junk". I've been trying to dig up information on it but so far I'm coming up with nothing. The watch works great and it even has the wound key.
Inscribed in the back where the clock is wound is ALFRED TISSOT and the No. 10713. Locle is also stamped. I'm guessing that is where it was made.
The numbers 10713 over 5 is inscribed on two different parts of watch. Any idea what those numbers signify?
How or when can I find more information on it? Is it worth any value? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Watch1.JPG Watch2.JPG Watch3.JPG Watch4.JPG Watch5.JPG Watch6.JPG Watch7.JPG

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't read the writing on the Dial which could help lead to the maker of the Pocket Watch. However, the Tissot name is well known in the world of manufacturers of Time Pieces (Wrist Watches, Pocket Watches and Clocks)! I am not sure whether Alfred Tissot was a member of this family and actually made the Pocket Watch or was gifted it. The name "Lucie" may or may not be the name of the Model of the Pocket Watch. I have some but not a lot of knowledge of fine Swiss Pocket Watches but I believe the Movement is a high grade Swiss Movement, is fairly similar to some Patek Philippe Movements I have seen and likely Dates prior to 1890 and possibly before 1880. Tissot was founded in 1853 in Le Locle, Switzerland and merged with Omega in 1930. I hope this helps you or someone else to track down the information for you!

Frank

OP
OP
R

Radiohead

Mar 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank,

The writing on the dial reads the same as what is inscribed; Alfred Tissot, Locle. So no new additional info there. Thank you for your input though. I'm hoping you are correct and that this watch does date back to at least the 1890's. I may have to contact the Omega/Tissot to gather additional information. Thanks again!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank,

The writing on the dial reads the same as what is inscribed; Alfred Tissot, Locle. So no new additional info there. Thank you for your input though. I'm hoping you are correct and that this watch does date back to at least the 1890's. I may have to contact the Omega/Tissot to gather additional information. Thanks again!

You are more than welcome and I hope the info helps you identify the Maker of the Pocket Watch and pinpoint the Model and year it was made! I am sorry for misreading the name on the inside Movement cover as "Lucie" when it is "Locle"! Based on the latest info, I would assume that Alfred Tissot was the Maker of the Pocket Watch and that he did so in Locle, Switzerland. That being said, I have no idea as to whether he was a family member of the Tissot Watch/Pocket Watch/Clock Makers but since the Pocket Watch bears his' name and Locle on it, I believe that is the case. It may take some Genealogy research to confirm that and I am sure that the Omega-Tissot Company can help as well!

Frank

P.S. It is quite possible that Alfred Tissot was a member of the famous Watch/Pocket Watch/Clock making family that tried to go it on his own in producing Time Pieces.

Last edited:

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who is the maker? on the dial there is some writing, what does it say.
Also, if you take a loop and closely inspect the inside of each lid, you will find very small jewlers marks of who repaired it and the date. have to look hard, usually tucked against the outer rim.
Many watch makers have a data base, with the inside serial number you can find the date
Brady

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Who is the maker? on the dial there is some writing, what does it say.
Also, if you take a loop and closely inspect the inside of each lid, you will find very small jewelers marks of who repaired it and the date. have to look hard, usually tucked against the outer rim.
Many watch makers have a data base, with the inside serial number you can find the date
Brady

Edited:

As the O.P. stated, it has "Alfred Tissot" and "Locle" on the Dial and it also has the same on the inner Movement cover and on the Movement itself. He also stated that it has the numbers 10713 over a 5 inscribed in two places and 10713 also on the inner Movement cover. I now believe that it is highly likely that the Pocket Watch was made by Alfred Tissot but since I can't find my' NAWCC Book and not much of anything about him online, I have no way of knowing if he was part of the famous Watch Making Tissot family and made the Pocket Watch in their' factory or if he went out on his own. It is confusing in that it is rarely seen that the Maker's name is on the Dial, on the Movement and on the Case. Oh, if we only had the extensive library of Reference books on Watches, Pocket Watches and Clocks that the German people have available to them!

Frank

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread