Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi ! :hello:

If interested in testing the density of your jewelry to determine it's value, read on.....

The (4) pictures attached show my handmade test stands made of wood and painted white.

In this instance we are only concerned with the water bowl/digital scale test method based on the Archimedes principle. (The Graduated cylinder is another method of determining density, but not addressed in this post.)

#1 First, the digital scale is turned ON and the item is weighed dry and the weight recorded.

#2 Then a clear-plastic bowl of distilled water is set on the scale and the Tare button pressed to subtract both the weight of the bowl plus the water .... the scale then reads 0.00. The item in this instance, a 92.5 % Sterling Silver ladies' ring (found metal detecting a soccer field), is hanging by a length of 4 lb. monofilament fishing line, with the upper end wound around a 1" dia. hardwood dowel resting on supports.

#3 The dowel is rotated to lower the ring into the bowl of water until fully submerged, but the ring cannot be touching the sides or bottom of the bowl.

#4 Wait for the ring to settle and stop moving in the water.

#5 The digital scale is weighing just the amount of water displaced by the ring. Record the weight of the displaced water.

#6 Divide the dry weight of the ring (larger number) by the weight of the displaced water (smaller number) and the quotient is the density of the ring. Eureka !

#7 Compare the quotient to the Density column in a Periodic Table to find out what metal the ring is made of, allowing for the fact that density tables are based on pure elements, be they solids, liquids or gases, and the metal of the ring is not pure, so some interpolation of the density number chosen from the table will be neccessary when making a final decision of the metal.

Hope this helps someone !

Toddb64 :read2:

Attachments

• Todd's  DensityTest Stands Handmade  20170530_171632  366 KB.jpg
    Todd's DensityTest Stands Handmade 20170530_171632 366 KB.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 20170804_175755 Water Bowl Tared 743 KB.jpg
    20170804_175755 Water Bowl Tared 743 KB.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 20170804_180302 Ring in Water, 805 KB.jpg
    20170804_180302 Ring in Water, 805 KB.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 20170804_181313 Graduated Cylinder, 769 KB.jpg
    20170804_181313 Graduated Cylinder, 769 KB.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the old take it to the jeweler and ask him how much it's worth method. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the old take it to the jeweler and ask him how much it's worth method. :icon_thumright:

Hi Terry :hello:

Your method is much easier, that's fer shur !

Consider yourself lucky ! At age 76 and diagnosed with Parkinson's last Jan.,2016 I'm not allowed to drive anymore for fear I might lose control and crash into somebody. I feel like I've lost my independence and that's hard to live with. I'm totally dependent on my wife to drive me when the distance is greater than a short walk.

When I was first diagnosed she agreed to drive me to the local parks, etc. to metal detect "whenever you want" and I wondered at the time how long that would last. ::) However, she did pretty good with that for much longer than I thought she would. Then I began to notice some reluctance earlier this year. She's never been interested in metal detecting and it's probably boring for her after taking the pooch for a walk around the park and then having to wait for me to wear out, so I'm sure this routine is getting old.

In hot weather, I can only last for 2 hours of metal detecting and then become very weak. So we decided to wait for cool days (with no rain) and that doesn't happen much in June, July and August in my neck of the woods. So I'm pretty much an "arm chair" detectorist during those months and amuse myself with science projects and reading/posting on several MD'ing websites.

It's hxxl getting old when you have health issues. I've also had diabetes for the past 24 years and a few other controllable nuisances like chronic hypersensitivity, high blood pressure and oral mucosa lichen planus, none of which is curable of course and living on SS I couldn't afford the cost even if it was. So I have 5 regular doctors prescribing meds. for me to take several times a day, plus I just had a surgeon remove a tumorous parathyroid gland from my throat area (still have three of the original four left though.).

Yeah, I know, many other people have it much worse than me, like cancer victims, war vets with leg and arm amputations and the list goes on and on......does that make me feel great ? Nope ! :laughing7:

ToddB64

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread