Help with kkk belt buckle

Rorexwesley

Tenderfoot
Mar 28, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20200328_143813.jpg I have this buckle that belonged to my father. He was murdered in 1988, so I know it's at least that old. Any information on the authenticity or the value of it would be appreciated.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"In Good Standing" Interesting choice of words. It'd be "worth" it to melt it down and recycle it, so about .50 cents if that center is solid brass.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It looks like a bronze KKK token or coin that was later mounted in a nickle silver belt buckle.

"Member in Good Standing" was a common phrase on these items. I would check and see if you can unmount the center, these quite often had two different sides.

Value isn't that much without a verifiable history. Klan stuff doesn't have a big market. I'd guess between $35 and $50 as a retail price.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strictly a "fantasy" item. That was/is a secret organization and they did not issue or have made any such buckles.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe secret in New York but they were quite active and open in the south.

It could be a fantasy item. I don't know whose fantasy and I probably don't want to know them. Even if it is made to make money off their reputation the Klan were a popular organization in the South when I was younger. They were quite fond of displaying tokens, symbolism etc. and passing out literature in public.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any marking on the back.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets please keep it about the item and not start making posts about the politics of what it represented.

Ghosthunter88

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
let me give this a shot.
It could be an authentic member coin or medallion which was then set into the buckle. The group did actually have many items such as these coins/medallions but many were made by the individual chapters themselves and therefore very region specific.
So there are two possible answers here.
first answer and the most likely is it is a fantasy relic/reproduction item and may possibly sell for around 16.00 to 20.00 usd.
second possibly is it could be authentic and in that case circa 1975 i do believe. This does make it worth a little more...one sold at an auction for around 40 usd. But now lets remember beauty and value of such an item is truly in the eye of the beholder. Meaning its worth whatever someone is willing to offer for it.
whether or not you subscribe to such views that the piece represents, Id say the value is the fact that it was your fathers.

hope i helped.

Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=41481
Appears to be a fantasy item, much like the Wells Fargo "corpse tag". Not a reproduction or a fake because no such original existed. Based on the limited research I did, the KKK never made a medallion like this and they only exist to sell to interested collectors. The KKK did make pins and coins, but they tend to be a little more subtle than this. I have one from a 1924 Tri state area meeting that was held in NJ, and you would have no idea where it came from without looking it up. I doubt anybody would ever wear this belt, so it is probably worth very little, if anything. Somebody might buy it to destroy it.

Last edited:

Guardrailnickel

Jan 11, 2020
Pa. 19512
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(snip)The KKK did make pins and coins, but they tend to be a little more subtle than this. I have one from a 1924 Tri state area meeting that was held in NJ, and you would have no idea where it came from without looking it up. I doubt anybody would ever wear this belt, so it is probably worth very little, if anything. Somebody might buy it to destroy it. (snip)

They are still alive and well in Pa. and NJ. You are right some things are subtle. They have stood on our main street and even held a parade in my home town. I see pins and other items for sale at flea markets in the area. Some things are very obvious like the belt buckle and other not so much.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread