OP
OP
J

Jennyfrmtheblok

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahaha that’s funny , I got it from a white elephant sale at Nun Convent , so I’m very curious to find out more about it . The website is saying there is an error , you know maybe the year or era it might have been made ?

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahaha that’s funny , I got it from a white elephant sale at Nun Convent , so I’m very curious to find out more about it . The website is saying there is an error , you know maybe the year or era it might have been made ?

Nope... that one was 1900's... i just tried to access the page again to check and the link was dead for some reason :/

Odd... so ?

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Becuase it looks like gold and it says it is gold. Do you think differently, or??

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
At 8 o'clock (1st photo) there is a shadow/mark, or is it wear through mark?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Becuase it looks like gold and it says it is gold. Do you think differently, or??

"Solid Gold" is not a mark of purity in any country. It's probably a makers mark or the design line name the ring is grouped in.

In all modern civilized countries an actual legally defined and assayed mark is required to be stamped on items made of gold or silver. No mark? It's safe to assume it is not gold or silver.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet Jenny

American standards for precious metal marking have always been an unholy mixture of self-regulation without official assay, consumer protection regulation of descriptions to prevent purchasers being misled, and mandatory technical standards relating to composition. As things stand today, “solid gold” is an acceptable marketing term for any gold-containing item which is not hollow or plated. However the inclusion of the word “gold” as a potentially misleading description then requires the proportion of gold to be stated via a karat mark, and the technical definition for anything to be called “gold” requires a minimum of 10k. Other countries have different minimum standards… it’s 9k in the United Kingdom for example.

That hasn’t always been the case in the US however, and particularly not prior to the “National Gold and Silver Stamping Act of 1906”. Prior to the Act, the term “solid gold” without any karat mark was exploited by some manufacturers on the basis that it ‘helped’ purchasers understand that they weren’t getting a plated item, but cynically trading on the hope that purchasers would not understand that “solid gold” is not the same thing as “pure gold”. Some makers were more open about this than others, at least to trade customers at wholesale level if not at retail level.

For example, the Providence Ring Manufacturing Company produced such items between 1898-1905 with no karat mark and their catalogue states that their “Solid Gold” marked rings are either 6 karat or 8 karat gold. The 8k rings were listed at $15 per dozen. By contrast, their more expensive 10k, 14k and 18k rings were marked with a 10, 14, or 18 inside the company trademark.

Providence were not the only company using this ‘ruse’ but, for the known examples which have been subsequently tested, all have proved to be lower than 10K although with at least some proportion of gold. Here’s a couple of examples, although I’m not 100% sure that these are from Providence or that they have been tested for gold content.

Solid Gold 1.jpg Solid Gold 2.jpg

Your mark is a little more elaborate, inside a scalloped cartouche and the additional “Good Luck” mark appears to have a letter ‘J’ inside a stylised solitaire ring between the two words. I would assume that to be the maker’s mark (a company with a name beginning with J) but I don’t know who that might be and it doesn’t come up on a registered trademark search. Nevertheless, I would think it from the same era as the rings from Providence. It won’t have any value beyond its gold content, which I’m sure will be below 10k like the other examples that have been tested... and outright fakes with no gold at all almost certainly exist too.

Last edited:

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's color tone really speaks a high copper content, at first I thought it was rose/pink gold till I saw the solid gold stamp and the comment from Red-Coat about the Providence company makes total sense. Take the ring to jewelry shop and have it checked. See where it disc's out or meter reads on your metal detector that should give you a start.
Jon 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

OP
OP
J

Jennyfrmtheblok

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lighting isn’t really the best in the photos sorry .

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I have a scratch block with different acid solutions to tell if it is gold.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's color tone really speaks a high copper content, at first I thought it was rose/pink gold till I saw the solid gold stamp and the comment from Red-Coat about the Providence company makes total sense. Take the ring to jewelry shop and have it checked. See where it disc's out or meter reads on your metal detector that should give you a start.
A metal detector cannot tell what type of metal you have, it cannot assay any metal. Many alloys can sound/read out like other alloys with any metal detector.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Solid Gold" is not a mark of purity in any country. It's probably a makers mark or the design line name the ring is grouped in.

In all modern civilized countries an actual legally defined and assayed mark is required to be stamped on items made of gold or silver. No mark? It's safe to assume it is not gold or silver.
it IS gold.,,, "solid gold" is a mark... it was used on 8 9 & 10k

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this thread is a couple of years old... Gunsil kicked it up again... so.... bah

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IT still can / could be rose gold... but more likely 8-9-10 k... which would contain ALOT of copper.. hence this coloring.

Copper in it was especially true back then... which this ring is from early 1900's IMO.

Then and definitely PRE then copper was the "go to cut" for gold.... and has been for mega eons back to mans first melting of the stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread