WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello everyone. I have this folding 8 player poker table that I am considering selling. I would like to see what you think it?s worth. I have not been able to find any information on it outside of the year range. I have seen similar ones with price ranges all over the place, from $6.00 to hundreds of dollars. I would like to offer a fair price. I couldn?t get a very good pic of the plate. It says: Mason Williams / Chicago, Illinois/ Quality equipment for fun at home.

You can see it has some wear and the legs are a little wobbly, but still sturdy enough to use.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thank you for looking.

WD

Attachments

• CA80720F-77C5-4212-ADE9-342AA1F1D761.jpeg
    CA80720F-77C5-4212-ADE9-342AA1F1D761.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 303
  • 4624A1C1-4066-4B28-B0B0-2C9D7A9792D2.jpeg
    4624A1C1-4066-4B28-B0B0-2C9D7A9792D2.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 411

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
.... My folks had one like that. It started life as the cover for a bumper pool table, ours did anyways. Really small for a full table of cards. IMO

goldenwonderbear

Feb 27, 2014
CA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These were popular for penny, nickel, dime poker .......years ago. not really suitable for cards today. I think your best bet is to sell to someone who wants to "repurpose" it to keep the nostalgia, and have a usable table . If I had one I would weather proof it and put tempered glass on top. Nice for the patio.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the input, peeps! Much appreciated. I was going to use it myself, but it is too big for the area. I will find it a home.

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a poker player, I would urge you to not heed the advice of putting a glass top on it if you plan to keep playing on it.

It actually looks like it?s missing the racks between the cup holders. I don?t know if I?m seen one with just an open well like that and not the grooves for chips.

As mentioned, this style is fairly common and has fallen out of favor among poker players. It?s not quite old enough for an old western themed room but not new enough for a modern room. I?m not aware of any collectors market for vintage poker tables but I suppose there could be one.

I?m sure you could sell it but I wouldn?t hold my breath for any decent money.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
As a poker player, I would urge you to not heed the advice of putting a glass top on it if you plan to keep playing on it.

It actually looks like it?s missing the racks between the cup holders. I don?t know if I?m seen one with just an open well like that and not the grooves for chips.

As mentioned, this style is fairly common and has fallen out of favor among poker players. It?s not quite old enough for an old western themed room but not new enough for a modern room. I?m not aware of any collectors market for vintage poker tables but I suppose there could be one.

I?m sure you could sell it but I wouldn?t hold my breath for any decent money.

I guess it will go back in storage and collect spiders again. I didn?t think it was worth much.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is a classically beautiful, vintage, well-made poker table WD. :thumbsup:
Unfortunately, I was unable to find anything online about 'Mason Williams Furniture Chicago'.

I respectfully disagree with Customx 12's opinion that... "I'm sure you could sell it but I wouldn't hold my breath for any decent money".
With a bit of light TLC to the finish and some work on stabilizing the wobbly legs, I have no doubt this table would sell for 'decent money' in an auction or online.

I believe your table
dates from the 1940s or 50s and is collectible/usable to the right person.
Here's a similar example to yours, asking price is $300... https://www.used.forsale/r/Details/vintage-poker-table/vintage poker table_etsy_etsy997796182

If it were mine, I'd clean it up and list it on Etsy or Kijiji with and asking price of $250.
Dave

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a classically beautiful, vintage, well-made poker table WD. :thumbsup:
Unfortunately, I was unable to find anything online about 'Mason Williams Furniture Chicago'.

I respectfully disagree with Customx 12's opinion that... "I'm sure you could sell it but I wouldn't hold my breath for any decent money".
With a bit of light TLC to the finish and some work on stabilizing the wobbly legs, I have no doubt this table would sell for 'decent money' in an auction or online.

I believe your table
dates from the 1940s or 50s and is collectible/usable to the right person.
Here's a similar example to yours, asking price is $300... https://www.used.forsale/r/Details/vintage-poker-table/vintage poker table_etsy_etsy997796182

If it were mine, I'd clean it up and list it on Etsy or Kijiji with and asking price of $250.
Dave

You couldn't find anything on Mason Williams Company? Well, now I do not feel so bad. I could not either. Hubby was an avid poker player. I bought it for him, thinking he would like it. I thought wrong. He does not like vintage or antiques, especially ones he would have to work on. I do not know how to properly refurbish anything. I asked him last night about selling it. He said, "Do what you want." I may brave listing it on a local site "as is" ask for $50.00 and hope to get $20.00.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here’s an advert from the Mason-Williams company from 1946, which shows your table as the “Porta-Poker” 8-place foldaway, originally retailing for $34.50 (click to enlarge):

Mason-Williams.jpg

I’m not convinced that it’s a “perfect wedding or anniversary gift” but, hey, each to their own.

The company address is given as 653? (number is indistinct) N. Wells Street, Chicago. There doesn’t seem to be much information about the company history, except that they were granted design patent 152,160 for “a game table top” on 21st December 1948.

I would guess it was a short-lived company that either went bust or was bought out and changed name. There doesn’t seem to be a trademark registration for the name/logo shown on that metal disc you pictured, but of course not every company bothered to register their logos as trademarks.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Here?s an advert from the Mason-Williams company from 1946, which shows your table as the ?Porta-Poker? 8-place foldaway, originally retailing for $34.50 (click to enlarge):

View attachment 1937140

I?m not convinced that it?s a ?perfect wedding or anniversary gift? but, hey, each to their own.

The company address is given as 653? (number is indistinct) N. Wells Street, Chicago. There doesn?t seem to be much information about the company history, except that they were granted design patent 152,160 for ?a game table top? on 21st December 1948.

I would guess it was a short-lived company that either went bust or was bought out and changed name. There doesn?t seem to be a trademark registration for the name/logo shown on that metal disc you pictured, but of course not every company bothered to register their logos as trademarks.

Thank you, Red-Coat. Much appreciated.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn’t see any hooks on it.
Where do you hang your clothes when you lose a hand?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread