Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Unusual Antique Ruler....What Is It Used For?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    875 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    The rule may not be made in Paris but the rare 1/12ths scale was used in France.

Apr 2012
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Bigcypress....good work. I think if one can determine what / how the 1/12th scale was used, you may can figure this rule out!

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    875 times
    Now I have some more words to Google like
    "paris scale" "French scale" "french inch"

Here is another rare Paris scale in 1/12ths but they dont know what it was used for. KERBY BROS. NY Bench Rule w/ Brass Tips - PARIS Scal (01/18/2011)...

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    875 times
    Is the Paris Inch equal to an American Inch?

us
    Nov 2009
    New York
    T2/F75 SE
    662 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I'm not sure about this ... but maybe something to it. BigCy your research led me to this- could it be used for measuring the fingers of long gloves?

How does my hand compare to the foot of Emperor Charles the Great?

How does my hand compare to the foot of Emperor Charles the Great?

Traditional measurements and sizing
    One of the most ancient glove making regions is Grenoble in France. In this region, they used the pouce (in other languages: inch, zoll, hüvelyk) as measurement. This length measurement, as most of the measurements at the time, was linked to the emperor’s body. The French pouce was based on the shoe size of Charles the Great. Charles the Great is considered the founding father of France and Germany; sometimes he is even referred to as the father of Europe. He was the first Emperor in Western Europe after the fall of the Roman Empire. One Charles-the-Great-type foot equals 32.484 cm, and it was divided into 12 parts called zolls. These measurements were also used by Hungarian glove makers.
    The exact length the same name refers to varies by country:
    English inch – 25.40 mm
    German zoll – 25.40 mm
    Russian inch – 25.41 mm
    Wiener zoll – 26.34 mm
    French inch – 27.07 mm
    The development of 17th century manufacturing, the forming of international markets, and later the industrial revolution each pushed the industry towards the standardization of measurements. The solution was the introduction of the metric system in 1791. However, traditional measuring tools are still in use internally at many workshops.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    875 times
    It may be called "French Inches" I found this French Gunners caliper. I dont think your is that old though but interesting. TESSERACT -- Antique Scientific Instruments -- Demonstration, Experimentation & Calculation

RARE FRENCH GUNNER'S CALIPERS, c. 1800, signed "Baradelle a Paris," 7-1/2" (19 cm) long (closed), of brass with finely inset steel tips. One side is engraved with a linear scale of (French) inches and twelfths; diagonal lines for "Canon en Bronce:" (using the Spanish spelling of "bronze"!) and calibrated 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 18, 24, and 36, for direct readout when placing the calipers on the inside diameter of the cannon bore; a circular scale around the hinge, similarly calibrated and labeled "Boulet," for direct readout when placing the calipers on the outside diameter of a cannon ball. The other side has an edge scale of decimeters, centimeters, and millimeters, and diagonal lines for "Canon en Fer." Condition is very fine throughout.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    875 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bramblefind View Post
    I'm not sure about this ... but maybe something to it. BigCy your research led me to this- could it be used for measuring the fingers of long gloves?
    Good possibility. I see there is much information out there on "French Inch" but its a lot to read. The French Inch may be about 1/16 inch longer than the English Inch.

"A French inch was 2.71 centimeters while an Imperial inch is 2.54 ..."

If a delivery truck used that to measure gas, milk or whatever, the driver would be short at the end of every day..
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; May 11, 2012 at 10:37 PM.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    875 times
    Maybe we could see a picture of it inside a glove finger?

Where did you obtain such an item?

Apr 2012
    Bigcypress....the 1/16" longer than the English Inch is exactly what I measured and I do think this is absolutely the correct area to be looking . For a brief moment, when I read one of your posted articles, I kinda was starting to check out a different area as one of your posted links mentioned a relation to cannons and there was actually a cannon related implement found along with the rule but I really don't think there is any relation.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    875 times
    I go with the glove theory. Here is something on the Tariff hearings before the House Committee on ways and means...1908-09...
    Tariff hearings before the Committee ...: Sixtieth Congress 1908-1909 ... - United States. Congress. House. Committee on Ways and Means - Google Books

It says the French Glove rule was used in the makings of gloves in every country.
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; May 11, 2012 at 11:21 PM. Reason: added screenshot

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    875 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeyd View Post
    Bigcypress....the 1/16" longer than the English Inch is exactly what I measured and I do think this is absolutely the correct area to be looking . For a brief moment, when I read one of your posted articles, I kinda was starting to check out a different area as one of your posted links mentioned a relation to cannons and there was actually a cannon related implement found along with the rule but I really don't think there is any relation.
    I thought the cannon link was very interesting and I dont think we have proven what it is yet but Im guessing your rule is early or very early 20th century because of the modern fonts used in the word PARIS. The numbers are old fonts.

No serifs in PARIS. Attachment 634741

us
    Gold Miner

Mar 2012
    Central Coast California
    I believe this is a French fabric ruler, circa 1890-1920? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5028_french_wooden_meter_measuring_block_1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	634935

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    875 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite Dick Clearcreek View Post
    I believe this is a French fabric ruler, circa 1890-1920? Click image for larger version. 

That may be the closest match yet. Can you post the supportingf link and explain why its tapered?.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    875 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite Dick Clearcreek View Post

That may be the closest match yet. Can you post the supporting link and explain why its tapered?.

oops my bad. Thats not the same at all. It appears you have posted a Metric rule.
    http://archives.tools.oneofakindanti...ds_c1800_2.htm
    Welcome to the discussion. We are looking for a rule in French Inches.
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; May 12, 2012 at 05:37 PM.

us
    Gold Miner

Mar 2012
    Central Coast California
    I assure you that is an antique french ruler, not the same, but similiar. The item in question may be a table leg for a small sewing kit. Not French inches?, he he, plain old inches.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors