Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DCMatt

Thread: three to sleuth

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2012
    tesoro vaquero, bandidoII Umax, garrett 250, ETG ( eyes to the ground)
    29 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

three to sleuth

Hi All ,
    I have three puzzlers. First, the short nose bullet-not the impact one- has a peculiar base that I eludes identification. There is a primary ring then a conical impression thoughts? Next is a bras "B" . Seems too big for a kepi. next is a copper bullet shaped container with what seems a cap that I dare not pry off because when I shake I hear a grainy shake sound. 2 1/2 " long. Rather light to hold.
    Thanks
    TB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02337.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	641024   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02340.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	641022   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02339.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	641021   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02338.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	641023  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

us
    Tennessee Digger

Sep 2011
    Tesoro and Troy Shadow
    325 times
    Your bullet could be a Tom Greene. We would need to know the measurements to correctly I.D. it. What general area was it found? A lot of them come out of Texas and La. Tennessee digger

May 2012
    29 times

some comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by tennessee digger View Post
    Your bullet could be a Tom Greene. We would need to know the measurements to correctly I.D. it. What general area was it found? A lot of them come out of Texas and La. Tennessee digger
    I live in rich, rich, richmond va.
    I have submitted one more pic to compare sizes. The find is to the left of the 3 ring minie (north w/ star int.) The two smaller are just other finds. I think they are older, but around here, you never know: a lot of holiday (4th and new years) firearms.
    I found a 10 in saber fragment yesterday- quite rusty, but a good find.
    TB

Name:	DSC02341.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	641039  

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab EX II & Musketeer, White's Classic
    821 times
    The copper "bullet" shaped tube is lipstick.

DCMatt
    eyeguy likes this.
    While I have aimed in my postings to be irenic and conciliatory, rather than polemic, I have yet endeavored to set forth the
    truth, let it favor or impugn whom it might. Any notice of misrepresentations or mistakes occurring in these prose will be most thankfully received
    by the author.

May 2012
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DCMatt View Post

DCMatt
    you are kidding about the lipstick-right?
    This was found 8" deep.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2007
    Mn.
    E-TRAC
    310 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Clean the flat side of the lipstik. Might have a date like 1898.

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab EX II & Musketeer, White's Classic
    821 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tesorobandit View Post
    you are kidding about the lipstick-right?
    This was found 8" deep.
    Not kidding. Deeper doesn't always mean older.

DCMatt
    While I have aimed in my postings to be irenic and conciliatory, rather than polemic, I have yet endeavored to set forth the
    truth, let it favor or impugn whom it might. Any notice of misrepresentations or mistakes occurring in these prose will be most thankfully received
    by the author.

Educator

Feb 2006
    Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
    White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
    2634 times
    Relic Hunting
    About your 2.5"-long brass tube:
    It does resemble a Lipstick tube, and that's what it might be. But it also looks like a "Match-Safe." Before the invention of waterproof matches, a Match-Safe was a small (pocket-sized) tightly-closing brass container for soldiers (and "pioneers," etc) to keep a supply of matches dry. The sound you say you hear when you shake it may be some loose matches still inside it.

About your letter B:
    Despite its resemblance to the stamped-brass US Army company letters, the unusually large cast-brass letters with tack-like pins on the back are now known to not be a Military insignia. They have been found on civilian leather horsegear, and there is no match-up for them in Army Regulations.

About your mystery-bullet:
    It appears to be a .577/.58-caliber Enfield minie-ball which has been "pulled" from the back end, by what is called a Double-Helix bulletwork. I'll attach a couple of photos, showing a Double-Helix bulletworm, and some other minie-balls which were backwards-pulled. Sometimes a soldier erroneously loaded a minie backwards into the rifle barrel, and tried to "pull" it with a Double-Helix bulletworm. But the spiral pointed arms of the Double-Helix worm tended to just dig a circular trench into the minie's base-rim. You'll see what I mean in the photo.

Name:	minie_basepulled_photobyPIA-Gary_MS_PULLE001.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	641070  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TheCannonballGuy; May 30, 2012 at 02:47 PM.

May 2012
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCannonballGuy View Post
    About your 2.5"-long brass tube:
    It does resemble a Lipstick tube, and that's what it might be. But it also looks like a "Match-Safe." Before the invention of waterprrof matches, a Match-Safe was a small (pocket-sized) tightly-closing brass container for soldiers (and "pioneers," etc) to keep a supply of matches dry. The sound you say you hear when you shake it may be some loose matches still inside it.

About your letter B:
    Despite its resemblance to the stamped-brass US Army company letters, the large cast-brass letters with tack-like pins on the back are now known to not be a Military insignia. They have been found on civilian leather horsegear, and there is no match-up for them in Army Regulations.

About your mystery-bullet:
    It appears to be a .577/.58-caliber Enfield minie-ball which has been "pulled" from the back end, by what is called a Double-Helix bulletwork. I'll attach a couple of photos, showing a Double-Helix bulletworm, and some other minie-balls which were ackwards-pulled. Sometimes a soldier erroneously loaded a minie backwards into the rifle barrel, and tried to "pull" it with a Double-Helix bulletworm. But the spiral pointed arms of the Double-Helix worm tended to just dig a circular trench into the minie's base-rim. You'll see what I mean in the photo.

Great sleuthing all around!
    The pulled bullet theory is beyond sound-spot on IMO. The "B" was too large for to be a kepi, but was the font was quite similar, so not military. I guess I have to tinker with the Lipstick/Match holder a bit. BOOOOOMMM!
    Thanks all.
    Bandito

Charter Member
    us
    I Often Find Myself Killing Time Looking For What Time Has Killed!

Feb 2009
    Morehead City / Newport NC
    Minelab Explorer Se Pro
    480 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCMatt View Post

DCMatt
    I would agree,see no worry about boom, Most likely dried up lip stick I've got quite a few over the years some are neat with cool figures & such on them,but below is one much like yours.As said check the end most are marked with Co.Names.

Name:	002_1.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	641075   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001_1.JPG 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	641074  
    Them Colonials​Can't Hide Nowhere Now!

Educator

Feb 2006
    Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
    White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
    2634 times
    Relic Hunting
    Here's a photo which shows how a Double-Helix bulletworm was intended to work. Its spiral "double corkscrew" shape worked pretty well on a minie-ball's nose ...but it had difficulty getting a grip on a minie's base.

Please note, one of the two spiraling iron arms is broken off the Double-Helix bulletworm in the photo. But it shows how the pointed arms dug into the minie's conical nose.

Name:	gunpart_bulletworm-and-minie_put-together_no-rust_5a18_12.jpg 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	641083  
    Last edited by TheCannonballGuy; May 30, 2012 at 03:03 PM.

Sponsors