Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1

    Apr 2007
    Tennessee
    Whites Coinmaster Classic II
    9

    What was this used for? Old Odd Bottle with round bottom

    Does anybody know what this old bottle would have been used for. It was found at on old house years ago. It has air bubbles in the glass but also has a seam around it. I think you should be able to see the seam in one of the pics.

    Thanks for looking,
    Riverpie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bottle 1.JPG 
Views:	1195 
Size:	213.1 KB 
ID:	129124   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bottle 3.JPG 
Views:	929 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	129125   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bottle 2.JPG 
Views:	877 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	129126  

  2. # ADS
    Ads

    TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

  3. #2
    us
    Jul 2006
    Western PA
    Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
    1,041
    88 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

    Re: What was this used for? Old Odd Bottle with round bottom

    soda water
    Seek and Ye shall find, (not necessarily what You were looking for)

  4. #3

    Apr 2007
    Mankato, MN
    Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
    2,911
    4 times
    Banner Finds (3)

    Re: What was this used for? Old Odd Bottle with round bottom

    This is because in the olden days lemonade and soda water was kept in bottles which were sealed by cork and if the cork dried out the carbonated gas would escape through the air space between the side of the bottle and the cork, so as to prevent the gas escaping the bottle would be layed on its side to keep the cork wet - same as wine bottles are layed on their side.
    The only way to really understand something is to play with it.

  5. #4
    TreasureTales

    Re: What was this used for? Old Odd Bottle with round bottom

    I think that's known as a torpedo shape. Nice bottle.

  6. #5
    us
    Feb 2006
    Albertville Alabama
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
    894
    Honorable Mentions (1)

    Re: What was this used for? Old Odd Bottle with round bottom

    i was also told that on military ships the bottles had round bottoms so you couldnt set them down and have them spill when the ship would roll

  7. #6

    Oct 2005
    Charleston S.C.
    3,667
    1 times

    Re: What was this used for? Old Odd Bottle with round bottom

    Quote Originally Posted by BioProfessor
    This is because in the olden days lemonade and soda water was kept in bottles which were sealed by cork and if the cork dried out the carbonated gas would escape through the air space between the side of the bottle and the cork, so as to prevent the gas escaping the bottle would be layed on its side to keep the cork wet - same as wine bottles are layed on their side.
    The Prof Nailed It. trk5capt...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 016.jpg 
Views:	798 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	6200   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 004.jpg 
Views:	838 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	129135   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 016.jpg 
Views:	765 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	129136  

  8. #7
    dugupfinds

    Re: What was this used for? Old Odd Bottle with round bottom

    Quote Originally Posted by BioProfessor
    This is because in the olden days lemonade and soda water was kept in bottles which were sealed by cork and if the cork dried out the carbonated gas would escape through the air space between the side of the bottle and the cork, so as to prevent the gas escaping the bottle would be layed on its side to keep the cork wet - same as wine bottles are layed on their side.
    Totally true, this is the earlest type of fizzy drink bottle. The later design was the Codd bottle which used a marble to keep the gas in & allowed the bottle to stand upright.

    This bottle is known as a HAMILTON bottle in the UK.

    see link of hamilton:
    http://www.antiquebottles.com.au/?pa...ebf813a4b8dfcf

  9. #8
    Charter Member

    May 2005
    6,381
    69 times

    Re: What was this used for? Old Odd Bottle with round bottom

    As TreasureTales has noted, here in the States and Canada, they're often called "torpedo" sodas because of their distinctive shape:

    http://www.antiquebottles.com/torpedo/


  10. #9
    dugupfinds

    Re: What was this used for? Old Odd Bottle with round bottom

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyG
    i was also told that on military ships the bottles had round bottoms so you couldnt set them down and have them spill when the ship would roll
    Thats not what this is for. Your talking about the type with the wide base. If you look at this one it would roll all over the place on a ship unless it was stuck in a rack.

  11. #10
    dugupfinds

    Re: What was this used for? Old Odd Bottle with round bottom

    Quote Originally Posted by PBK
    This is the 'nickname' not a true descriptor.
    A flat-bottomed Hamilton mineral water bottle - 'Jewbury and Brown' with a cork stopper. Originally, mineral water had been bottled in round-bottomed bottles designed by William Hamilton in 1814.


    see:
    http://www.timewithphotos.com/gallery_54095.html

    http://www.darwincountry.org/explore...d72e847c0144d0



  12. #11
    dugupfinds

    Re: What was this used for? Old Odd Bottle with round bottom

    Quote Originally Posted by PBK
    Here in the States and Canada, they're often called "torpedo" sodas because of their distinctive shape:

    http://www.antiquebottles.com/torpedo/
    Still a nickname, I know what your like for the 'facts'. They didn't have torpedo's in the Victorian period?

  13. #12
    Charter Member

    May 2005
    6,381
    69 times

    Re: What was this used for? Old Odd Bottle with round bottom

    Quote Originally Posted by dugfinds

    Still a nickname, I know what your like for the 'facts'. They didn't have torpedo's in the Victorian period?
    Well, a matter of fact they did. Actually, the term "torpedo" was used by Robert Fulton around 1800-05 to describe a towed gunpowder charge used by his submarine Nautilus . Although most 19th century torpedoes were towed rather than fired, self-propelled torpedoes (a.k.a. "locomotive torpedoes") were developed by Russian and Austrian naval ordnance engineers as early as 1865-70. Even a prototype remote-controlled torpedo was designed and demonstrated (unarmed) by Nikola Tesla in 1897.

    Now let's all yawn and move on!


  14. #13
    us
    Wes

    Apr 2007
    Springfield, TN
    Bounty Hunter 202
    2,490

    Re: What was this used for? Old Odd Bottle with round bottom

    Whew! Nice find
    Look not mournfully into the past, it comes not back again. Wisely improve the present, it is thine. Go forth to meet the shadowy future without fear and with a manly heart.

    - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

  15. #14
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

    Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    '72 RS Kit/Musketeer Advantage with 8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se with 11" DD & 6.5" concentric coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe/Black Widows/Rattler/F-Point/Merlin SXL Pinpointers
    3,692
    351 times
    Metal Detecting

    Re: What was this used for? Old Odd Bottle with round bottom

    Quote Originally Posted by dugfinds
    Quote Originally Posted by PBK
    Here in the States and Canada, they're often called "torpedo" sodas because of their distinctive shape:

    http://www.antiquebottles.com/torpedo/
    Still a nickname, I know what your like for the 'facts'. They didn't have torpedo's in the Victorian period?
    1864, Battle of Mobile Bay, Admiral Farragut came storming up to the bridge to wonder why his flagship had slowed. "Torpedoes, sir". His famous reply: "Damn the torpedoes! Four bells. Captain Drayton, go ahead! Jouett, full speed!"

    "Torpedoes" used to refer to tethered floating mines.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

  16. #15

    Dec 2006
    159

    Re: What was this used for? Old Odd Bottle with round bottom

    I agree with Treasure Tales, The bottle is a Torpedo style bottle, that is a very common type bottle found all over the East coast. They were produced in all the major city's. They contained soda water. Most of them date from 1875-1910.

    Regards Simon...

  17. #16

    Apr 2007
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage
    279

    Re: What was this used for? Old Odd Bottle with round bottom


    Yes, a torpedo. Find a cork, and a way to display it. Very nice.
    Sup'em strange goin' on."How come my dog don't bark when you come 'round?" (Dr. John)

    I shoulda quit you, baby, long time ago.
    I shoulda quit you, and went on to Mexico.
    (Howlin' Wolf)

  18. #17
    dugupfinds

    Re: What was this used for? Old Odd Bottle with round bottom

    Quote Originally Posted by PBK
    Quote Originally Posted by dugfinds

    Still a nickname, I know what your like for the 'facts'. They didn't have torpedo's in the Victorian period?
    Well, a matter of fact they did. Actually, the term "torpedo" was used by Robert Fulton around 1800-05 to describe a towed gunpowder charge used by his submarine Nautilus . Although most 19th century torpedoes were towed rather than fired, self-propelled torpedoes (a.k.a. "locomotive torpedoes") were developed by Russian and Austrian naval ordnance engineers as early as 1865-70. Even a prototype remote-controlled torpedo was designed and demonstrated (unarmed) by Nikola Tesla in 1897.

    Now let's all yawn and move on!
    Your ace beats my Jack

    I will still agree to disagree with this one. Hamilton, Hamilton, Hamilton rah, rah, rah

    At least our fellow Tneter will have both the US & English version. Makes for a better talking point, don't you think?


    until next time

  19. #18
    TreasureTales

    Re: What was this used for? Old Odd Bottle with round bottom

    Can we come up with a combo name for this style bottle? How about a Hamilton Torpedo bottle? The best of both sides of the Atlantic, and everybody wins!!

  20. #19
    dugupfinds

    Re: What was this used for? Old Odd Bottle with round bottom

    Quote Originally Posted by TreasureTales
    Can we come up with a combo name for this style bottle? How about a Hamilton Torpedo bottle? The best of both sides of the Atlantic, and everybody wins!!
    So.....Hampedo

  21. #20
    Charter Member

    May 2005
    6,381
    69 times

    Re: What was this used for? Old Odd Bottle with round bottom

    Quote Originally Posted by dugfinds
    So.....Hampedo

    Name:  white_flag.jpg
Views: 2433
Size:  6.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  


 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

ballast bottle
,
glass bottle with rounded bottom
,
old bottles with round bottoms
,
old round bottom bottles
,

round bottom bottle

,
round bottom bottle history
,

round bottom bottles

,
round bottom glass bottles ballast
,
round bottom soda bottles
,
why round bottom bottles
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3