Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Large Cannonball (fused confirmation?)

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Large Cannonball (fused confirmation?)

Thoughts on this fused(?) cannonball for a friend. Big one at near 22 pounds, and as seen has a raised portion from casting and what he says is a 1/2 inch defined circle within, but hard to see in the pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	1493809   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	1493810   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c3.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	1493811   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c4.jpg 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	1493812   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c5.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	1493813  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c6.jpg 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	1493814  
    P.ALLEN, luke_00 and scruggs like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2007
    3816 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    With that protrusion shown in the next to last photo, I have my doubts about it being a cannonball. I would lean more towards a counter weight of some sort that had a hook or an eye coming out ot the area that the pen points to.
    trdking likes this.
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

us
    Jan 2016
    NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
    Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
    2819 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Looks like a gate weight that's had the lift eye broken off.
    trdking likes this.
    “During the gold rush its a good time to be in the pick and shovel business.” Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by creskol View Post
    With that protrusion shown in the next to last photo, I have my doubts about it being a cannonball. I would lean more towards a counter weight of some sort that had a hook or an eye coming out ot the area that the pen points to.

Yeah it's nothing I've seen before.
    trdking likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    12180 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    I have seen some of these for sale recently, but have shied away from them. A protrusion like that would cause a cannon to explode.
    trdking likes this.

us
    Troublemaker

Jun 2017
    A2 Michigan
    Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Headphones, Sun Joe Hori Hori, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
    688 times
    Swiss Family Robinson coconut bomb.
    trdking likes this.
    Dum spiro spero

Educator

Feb 2006
    Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
    White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
    7082 times
    Relic Hunting
    As Creskol and Smokeythecat indicated, the protrusion (or "swell") on the side of the ball prohibits it from being a cannonball, because the protrusion/swell would cause the ball to jam inside the cannonbarrel upon firing, causing the cannon itself the burst.

The protrusion/swell also means it is not part of a Bar-Shot, or any other kind of artillery projectile.
    BuckleBoy likes this.
    "Let The Christ be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out."

Charter Member

Apr 2013
    N.E. Ohio
    XP Deus, NOX 600
    1073 times
    I'll play Devil's Advocate.........a smooth bore musket is basically a scaled down smooth bore cannon...........so if a musket / round ball with a mold sprue can be loaded and fired from a musket, why can't a cannon ball be fired If that protrusion (sprue) is facing up or down in the barrel? So I'll beat you guys to my tongue lashing and say yes I realize a musket ball is lead and a cannon ball is iron.......any other reason(s)?

Name:  MBS.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  8.7 KB
    P.ALLEN likes this.

us
    Jan 2016
    NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
    Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
    2819 times
    And now a public service announcement: Keep your 'safe search' ON while searching "hanging ball weights". I'm out!
    “During the gold rush its a good time to be in the pick and shovel business.” Mark Twain

us
    Jun 2011
    Oklahoma
    White's XLT
    3803 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedyoh View Post
    I'll play Devil's Advocate.........a smooth bore musket is basically a scaled down smooth bore cannon...........so if a musket / round ball with a mold sprue can be loaded and fired from a musket, why can't a cannon ball be fired If that protrusion (sprue) is facing up or down in the barrel? So I'll beat you guys to my tongue lashing and say yes I realize a musket ball is lead and a cannon ball is iron.......any other reason(s)?

Name:  MBS.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  8.7 KB
    I'm going to leave the technical details of whether or not it can be fired to the experts, but it looks to me like the musket ball in your pic was dropped or discarded before the spru was cut off
    Icewing likes this.

Educator

Feb 2006
    7082 times
    Relic Hunting
    Tedyoh, you answered your Devil's Advocate question when you said "I realize a musket ball is lead and a cannon ball is iron." If a lead projection is a little too big, the soft lead gets smushed down in the gunbarrel's "windage" -- enough that it does not cause enough back-pressure to rupture the gunbarel. Iron won't smush down even slightly.

In a .69-caliber musket, the windage (difference between the .64-inch projectile's diameter and the gunbarrel bore's .69-inch diameter) is .05-inch. That isn't much but it's enough to make the difference for the short casting-sprue projection, as seen in the photo you posted.

Lead being soft enough to deform itself instead of rupturing the gunbarrel really is the answer. We know with certainty that breechloader bullets are larger in diameter than the gun's bore. For example, a Colt .36 Revolver's UNFIRED bullet is typically .380-inch in diameter. They routinely got fired with no damage to the gun.

A bit more proof: Here's a scan showing three varieties of .58-caliber civil war bullets that got fired out of a breechloading .52-caliber Sharps Carbine. The result was that the .58 bullets got compressed into a "stretched" shape. (That's why some civil war bullet collectors gave these fired bullets the nickname "stretchies.") Note how much longer the .58 Williams Cleaner Type 3 bullet has become, in comparison to its normal length.

Name:	bullets_stretchies_Williams58Regulation-Williams58Cleaner3-Richmond56Sharps_scanbyPeter-C-George.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	1494114  
    "Let The Christ be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out."

Charter Member

Apr 2013
    N.E. Ohio
    XP Deus, NOX 600
    1073 times
    Yeah, me never seeing a cannon being loaded, I wasn't sure it the ball just rolled down the barrel or if they used a patch like a muzzle loaded weapon....thinking if they loaded the pictured counter weight with the protrusion facing up or down, it wouldn't cause an overpressure situation when being fired....for the record I never thought the ball IP posted was a cannon ball, but did think it could be fired if the ball was placed in the cannon barrel "properly"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    TheCannonballGuy and P.ALLEN like this.

Educator

Feb 2006
    7082 times
    Relic Hunting
    Before the early-1800s, cannonballs were indeed "patched" with a fabric wrapping to fill in the greater Windage in cannons-&-projectiles of the Colonial Era. After the early-1800s, cannonballs were fitted with a wooden cup ("sabot") held in place by crossed tin straps. The purpose was an attempt to keep the ball's fuze facing away from the propellant powder charge. If the fuzeplug was exposed to firing blast, it could be driven into the shell by the firing blast, causing the shell to explode inside the cannon's barrel. But we know from Ordnance Department reports that the sabot wasn't always successful at its intended function. The ball tended to "roll" on its way out of the barrel, exposing the fuzeplug to firing-blast. The "rolling" problem is why cannonball fuzeplugs were carefully made to fit flush (or very nearly flush) with the ball's surface.

And of course, the "rolling" problem is why the ball posted by Iron Patch definitely is not a cannonball.

The photo below shows a civil war 12-pounder caliber roundshell, found underwater by a scuba-diver, with its original wooden cup sabot and crossed tin straps and collar which encircled the shell's fuzeplug. The waterlogged wood sabot shrank somewhat when it dried out after more than a century underwater.

Name:	shell_12pounder_ON-SABOT_WITHSTRAPS__woodfuzed_1ef8_1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	1494490  
    Old Pueblo and Tedyoh like this.

Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    8978 times
    Metal Detecting
    And now the age-old muzzleloading argument: do you load with the sprue up? Or with the sprue down? ;-)
    Tedyoh, NOLA_Ken and BuckleBoy like this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030
    3716 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Icewing View Post
    And now a public service announcement: Keep your 'safe search' ON while searching "hanging ball weights". I'm out!
    I think Ill pass all together. Why Risk it?
    Icewing likes this.
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links