Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Help finding Dog Tag Owner

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2014
    By the sea
    245 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackaydon View Post
    Sidebar: As to one tag being Sterling Silver, I must have failed in seeing either ".925" or the word "Sterling" on either tag.
    Perhaps neither are, but one was cleaned, the other was not cleaned.
    Don....

After digging 100's if not 1,000's of pieces of sterling silver (coins, jewelry, flatware etc) out of salt water beaches you just learn to recognize that sterling turns purple in that environment. The chain also on the sterling silver tag is marked AUTOMADE STERLING as well. I have not tried yet to clean the actual dog tag as I think it's pretty cool left purple.
    Last edited by Kapidr; Jan 07, 2018 at 12:25 PM.

us
    Mar 2014
    By the sea
    245 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I have a possible phone number for a possible son and an email address to a possible grand daughter that I will try to reach out to tomorrow. I'll post if they pan out or not. Thank you so far for everyone's help and private messages leading me to this information!

us
    Rich

Dec 2015
    Warwick RI
    Minelab Etrac Garrett ATpro FisherF2
    282 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapidr View Post
    I have a possible phone number for a possible son and an email address to a possible grand daughter that I will try to reach out to tomorrow. I'll post if they pan out or not. Thank you so far for everyone's help and private messages leading me to this information!
    Any luck contacting family?
    garren likes this.

us
    Mar 2014
    By the sea
    245 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingrich View Post
    Any luck contacting family?
    Not yet, some personal things came up for me this week that tied me up but I hope to try to reach out later this week.
    Kingrich likes this.

us
    Feb 2015
    Virginia
    Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
    746 times
    As a disabled vet and a huge WWII history junky. It makes me so proud of the people on this site. The response of so many to just this thread to find the owner of a single dog tag makes my eyes water a little ( I get teary eyed hearing Taps) You people are amazing and I'm proud to be associated with you.
    Mackaydon, DCMatt, creskol and 2 others like this.

us
    Scotland, Aye !!

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    9548 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Looking harder,
    The best TH experience I've had is joining with the American Legion and another TH-er in Europe to create a Memorial Day event in Ohio of returning a WWII 'dog tag' to an soldier who lost it during the Battle of the Bulge. And I've had a few good experiences, like salvaging a Spanish galleon--but the return of that tag tops them all. I salute you for your service.
    Don.....(USAF '63-'69)
    DCMatt and Kingrich like this.

us
    Mar 2014
    By the sea
    245 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    UPDATE: I reached the son of the Dog Tag owner, Tim, today by phone. Interestingly enough Tim has his father's dog tags. I can assume that this set was lost and then replaced. I did learn that Byron Reese Berlin did indeed die of a sudden heart attack when he was 38 years old. His son, Timothy was 4 at the time. Tim knows almost nothing about where and how his father served or how the Dog Tags ended up in Florida or why one was Sterling Silver. The Dog Tags are going out in the mail back to Tim this week. Thank you to everyone that helped to locate both the son and the granddaughter of Mr. Berlin. Tim stated that since he already has a set of his fathers dog tags that he may give this set to his sister or one to his sister and one to his daughter. Tim was very grateful for everyone's work in contacting him.
    SkaBa, Kingrich, garren and 2 others like this.

us
    Rich

Dec 2015
    Warwick RI
    Minelab Etrac Garrett ATpro FisherF2
    282 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapidr View Post
    UPDATE: I reached the son of the Dog Tag owner, Tim, today by phone. Interestingly enough Tim has his father's dog tags. I can assume that this set was lost and then replaced. I did learn that Byron Reese Berlin did indeed die of a sudden heart attack when he was 38 years old. His son, Timothy was 4 at the time. Tim knows almost nothing about where and how his father served or how the Dog Tags ended up in Florida or why one was Sterling Silver. The Dog Tags are going out in the mail back to Tim this week. Thank you to everyone that helped to locate both the son and the granddaughter of Mr. Berlin. Tim stated that since he already has a set of his fathers dog tags that he may give this set to his sister or one to his sister and one to his daughter. Tim was very grateful for everyone's work in contacting him.
    Thatís awesome Kapidr!!!! Great work everyone that helped out!!
    garren and Kapidr like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links