WW2 German SS post Letter
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: WW2 German SS post Letter

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    gb
    Mr

Jan 2013
    Isle Of Anglesey
    Minelab E-Trac GTX3030
    189 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

WW2 German SS post Letter

Hi everyone,

I'd appreciate any views on this letter from WW2. I've got a friend translating it for me at the moment and it looks legit. I'm interested in the waffen ss stamps and the skull and crossbones motif. I think it was from a tank regiment. Are there any experts here who can positively ID them?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SS Feldpost Front.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	3.38 MB 
ID:	1618451
    "Take life easy and if you can't take it easy then take it as easy as you can" Old Irish saying..

Aug 2014
    California
    De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
    1755 times
    Totenkopf

From wiki:

"In the early days of the NSDAP, Julius Schreck, the leader of the Stabswache (Adolf Hitler's bodyguard unit), resurrected the use of the Totenkopf as the unit's insignia. This unit grew into the Schutzstaffel (SS), which continued to use the Totenkopf as insignia throughout its history. According to a writing by Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler the Totenkopf had the following meaning:

The Skull is the reminder that you shall always be willing to put your self at stake for the life of the whole community.[8]

The Totenkopf was also used as the unit insignia of the Panzer forces of the German Heer (Army), and also by the Panzer units of the Luftwaffe, including those of the elite Fallschirm-Panzer Division 1 Hermann Göring.[9]

Both the 3rd SS Panzer Division of the Waffen-SS, and the World War II era Luftwaffe's 54th Bomber Wing Kampfgeschwader 54 were given the unit name "Totenkopf", and used a strikingly similar-looking graphic skull-crossbones insignia as the SS units of the same name. The 3rd SS Panzer Division also had skull patches on their uniform collars instead of the SS sieg rune."
    sprailroad and devldog like this.
    I'm beginning to realize I've gone through life without knowing what anything is ...

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    27755 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    thats a nice relic
    devldog likes this.

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

gb
    Mr

Jan 2013
    Isle Of Anglesey
    Minelab E-Trac GTX3030
    189 times
    They seemed to have been a proper bunch of murdering Nazis
    3. SS-Panzer-Division Totenkopf
    "Take life easy and if you can't take it easy then take it as easy as you can" Old Irish saying..

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
    7646 times
    Metal Detecting
    Very cool! I'd like to see the translation.

The letter is posted mid-May '43 from Tilsit (now called Sovetsk, Kaliningrad Oblast) Russia - not far from Kursk. That's about 6 weeks prior to the Battle of Prochorovka - where the 3rd Panzer Division took heavy casualties.
    They told me I should hold on to my dreams.
    So I went back to sleep...

gb
    Mr

Jan 2013
    Isle Of Anglesey
    Minelab E-Trac GTX3030
    189 times
    Thanks Matt,

If you read German I'll post the letter if you like.

us
    Jun 2011
    Oklahoma
    White's XLT
    4580 times
    in my opinion it seems like a strange and bad idea to stamp mail with your armored division number. In the event of intercept or capture by the enemy, they'd know exactly who was operating in the area. based on your picture, it doesn't look aged enough to me. Personally, I'd pass on it.
    Frankyg likes this.

gb
    Mr

Jan 2013
    Isle Of Anglesey
    Minelab E-Trac GTX3030
    189 times
    I take your point on the security issue but I'm happy with the authenticity. I'm having trouble getting the content of the letter translated because the font that they are written in is an old fashioned style. Once I get it translated I will post the original text and a translation. Do you know anyone who can help?
    Wraith24 and devldog like this.

us
    Jun 2011
    Oklahoma
    White's XLT
    4580 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankyg View Post
    Do you know anyone who can help?
    no, sorry

Charter Member
    us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    6153 times
    Yes please post the letter! I would love to read it It does look enticing but I do find it odd that it does not have the eagle and swazi seal on it. Is it on the other side?
    Last edited by trdking; Aug 04, 2018 at 09:00 AM.
    Frankyg and devldog like this.
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

gb
    Mr

Jan 2013
    Isle Of Anglesey
    Minelab E-Trac GTX3030
    189 times
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SS Feldpost Front.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	3.38 MB 
ID:	1618696Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SS Feldpost Back.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	1618697Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SS letter front.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	1618698Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss letter back.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	3.30 MB 
ID:	1618699

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro...I am a wealth of mostly trivial information.....

Jan 2011
    Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer
    3380 times
    Personally I'd be very wary of the Totenkopf stamp. It does look like legitimate Feldpost from WW2, but the stamp could have been forged....

I would suggest contacting the Bundesarchiv in Berlin, or find historians with access to those records and see if you can find the soldiers name on a muster roll to confirm he was in that Waffen SS division.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

I collect military relics, mainly German and American, but interested in others as well, pre 1945 .. Always interested in adding to my collection

some of my antique photo collection : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

gb
    Mr

Jan 2013
    Isle Of Anglesey
    Minelab E-Trac GTX3030
    189 times
    Thanks Ken. I'm going to do some more research once I've had the text translated. I've sent it to a classical German translator but I was hoping that someone on here could translate. It seems that when the Nazis gained power one of the things they did was to revert to a classical German alphabet and style of lettering that was taught in all of the schools. After the war, Germany reverted to what we call modern German but it means that younger people today cannot read the old script very well, or at least that's what my German friends tell me. I kinow that anything to do with the nazis and especially the SS makes them very uncomfortable so it could be that they just don't want to read it. As far as the letter's authenticity is concerned, as I said before, I'm happy enough with it. It was 'acquired' by a British soldier during the war along with some other things.
    devldog likes this.

us
    Mar 2018
    Todds Point, IL
    2858 times
    Metal Detecting
    I would join the Axis History forum and post the letter there. Tons of Nazi experts will dissect your letter. It's a European forum with many German speakers.

If you look at the envelope, there is a Feldpost number in pencil on the upper left. This is a coded number so they enemy can't discover the location of the sender.

The older German script is called Sutterlin. It is very difficult to translate if you don't know the letters. Your letter is more modern script, not Sutterlin so it should be no problem with translation. Gary

Feb 2017
    585 times
    He was in the 240 Transport Security Battalion:

Transport-Sicherungs-Bataillone - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

which seems to be a Wehrmacht rather than an SS unit. The letter went from the daugher via military mail to father Hermann Rudies. Funny enough, he had his wife w/ him since daugher writes to ma & pa and it a mothers day letter. Good Hermann was older and had a good home post! (until the russian came, that is).

Letter itself is uneventful, daughter says thanks for last package (including batteries), complaisn she has facial erythrosis and says that the hole family got an occulation shot (not specfied against what as far as I can read). Oh yeah, its raining and she has planted the garden & wants rubber boots.

signed
    Martha, Helene ans small Bernhardt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links