Big Pipe in Backyard
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: Big Pipe in Backyard

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Sep 2019
    24 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Big Pipe in Backyard

Greetings, treasure hunters!

While this inquiry may seem mundane, bear with me - Iíve done a lot of digging on my own, and have yet to uncover a suitable explanation for this very large pipe in the backyard of a home that Iím closing on shortly. Property is in the middle of nowhere, home is in the middle of the property in the middle of nowhere. Very rural. Well water, septic tank is about 150í from the house (with no record or disclosure of any additional septic tanks), buried power.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pipe 1.PNG 
Views:	99 
Size:	283.0 KB 
ID:	1753494 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pipe 2.PNG 
Views:	90 
Size:	299.6 KB 
ID:	1753495 Name:  Pipe 3.PNG
Views: 373
Size:  159.6 KB

The pipe is about 20í tall, the base maybe 6Ē+ in diameter. I canít tell what type of metal itís made from - I donít know too much about that subject, unfortunately - but Iím assuming steel, since you can see the weld where the pipe width quickly tapers. From the third photo, you can tell that itís hollow. There is no hardware on the pipe that would suggest it was used as a flag pole, clothes line, or anything else similar.

No one knows what itís for - not the realtor, not the individual I bought it from (who was the second owner of the home, bought it just a few years ago), none of the neighbors, nor the County.

What it Isnít
    We can likely rule out these things:
    • Oil pipe
    • Natural gas venting
    • Capped well
    • Septic pipe
    • Sprinkler/irrigation

I find it unlikely that itís a bunker (I mean, that would be a huge selling point, and Iíd happily pay more for a home with a bunker) though many people Iíve spoken with about it have suggested that.

Have any of you guys seen something like this before? Any educated guesses on what it might be, or how to go about finding out what it might be?
    Toecutter, alan m and Joe-Dirt like this.

It gives me the creeps. I'd find out what it was there for before you close. Underground mining or old landfill vent comes to mind. I certainly don't know. It had a reason to be there.

Sep 2019
    24 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    It gives me the creeps.
    Agreed, it's definitely got a creepy vibe to it, which is one of the reasons I'm so intrigued by it. So far, it's defied simple or obvious explanations, and each time it does, its mystery thickens.

I'd find out what it was there for before you close. Underground mining or old landfill vent comes to mind. I certainly don't know. It had a reason to be there.
    The parcel on which the house sits is just a few hundred yards from the site of an old logging and mining ghost town (very early 1900s). There's not much of it left, and most of what is is on private property, but there may be something to your suggestion there.

Also found these on the land:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190831_134337279_HDR.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	1753678
    alan m likes this.

You've answered your own question. It is a vent pipe leading down to a mine shaft. And that means there are tunnel(s) under your future property. Better go find out where they are = quick.

You don't know if it's stable or not and as is would be a kid magnet. You also might try to research what is UNDERGROUND there.

Once upon a time ago there was chromium mining in my county. The last mine closed during WWII. In the 1960's, my mother in law's neighbor woke up to find a massive sink hole 10' from their house. The mine had collapsed and they were left to fill it in. Their car almost became a casualty.

Non disclosure is a clause in most states to back out of a contract. I'd be cautious and see what lies underground.

Do you know what they were mining? The chromium was hard rock mining through a serpentine body.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Espiritu Santo de Tampa - La Florida
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    49874 times
    Sign pole.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

Sep 2019
    24 times
    Smokey, I think you're right - it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the solid advice. I'll reach out to the county and the local historical society to see about getting more information, then go to the realtor with my findings.

Do you have any ideas as to what kind of resources I could use to do further research?
    Last edited by magicuserbaby; Sep 16, 2019 at 06:15 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2011
    Gold canyon AZ
    1424 times
    Cache Hunting

but in your case it would be C.Hu. R. D.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0973E60C-C22D-471C-8B88-3CE17F79FFAB.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	416.6 KB 
ID:	1753686  
    time for another drink

Sep 2019
    24 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alan m View Post
    ...but in your case it would be C.Hu. R. D.
    Haha! The thought crossed my mind, for sure...
    alan m, A2coins and Joe-Dirt like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2011
    Gold canyon AZ
    1424 times
    Cache Hunting
    On a more serious note, it looks like an anchor pipe for a logging operation, the items in your other photo also look like log moving equipment, something like a drag line.
    time for another drink

Just makes sure it's nothing hazardous. Or leads to something hazardous. Lots of county records and some historical societies have histories of the mines and other big business that was in your area once upon a time.

All the stuff seen in the last photo is sawmill related. Alan's theory on the pipe is a good theory.
    ďIt is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.Ē

Sep 2019
    24 times
    Just makes sure it's nothing hazardous. Or leads to something hazardous. Lots of county records and some historical societies have histories of the mines and other big business that was in your area once upon a time.
    Very good call. And to answer your previous question, it was iron that was being mined. I'll start digging into records as I can find them online, and maybe pay a visit to the historical society this week. Again, thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by alan m View Post
    On a more serious note, it looks like an anchor pipe for a logging operation, the items in your other photo also look like log moving equipment, something like a drag line.
    That would make sense too! I thought the cars/rails didn't look like they were for mining, but couldn't figure out what they'd be used for otherwise. This would obviously be the preferable answer - I really don't want to have to jump ship on this house (and the future farmstead) because the earth is full of spooky and potentially unstable tunnels.
    Last edited by magicuserbaby; Sep 16, 2019 at 06:31 PM.
    1637, alan m, Joe-Dirt and 1 others like this.

Feb 2017
    968 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I didnít know the used rails for logging .. Thought it was chained pulled out by tractors or horses before that. Interesting.
    Joe-Dirt and PetesPockets55 like this.

us
    Aug 2015
    South Florida
    Garrett GTI-2500
    1194 times
    Metal Detecting
    Flagpole? (Doubtful!)

I wonder why the pole is tapered half-way up?
    Given what we've learned in the thread, I'm inclined to go with something to do with prior use of the land, namely, mining operations.

Be sure to let us know if you ever get a definitive answer!

Look at your last picture and compare the ingredients with the ones shown here in a photo of an old frick mill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 9.31.03 PM.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	273.6 KB 
ID:	1753724   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp mill.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	333.1 KB 
ID:	1753732  
    Last edited by creskol; Sep 16, 2019 at 08:49 PM.
    ďIt is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.Ē

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links