Old Button - Unknown backmark and design
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Old Button - Unknown backmark and design

I usually clean ALL my buttons, you just never know what the crud is hiding and in this case before cleaning, I thought it was a typical flat cuff sized button from around 1800-1830 time frame.

But upon cleaning a two lettered impressed backmark of WN showed and that is unusual. then after cleaning most of the dirt off the front, I decided to try lemon juice and to my delight there was some gilt left and it had a design!

Most small cuff buttons are plain so I was happy to see a design and a backmark, now trying to date the button by the backmark came to a dead end for me I can find noone of that time frame or earlier who had those initials.

Also, the design has impressed in six pointed stars in circles, and I believe I see what looks like tail feathers?

Open for suggestions on the design and age of button and who the heck was WN?

I believe this might possibly be a late 1700's or early 1800's political button of some type...

don
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WNeagletypebutton.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	186204   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WNbackmarkeagle.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	186205   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WNbuttonbig.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	247.9 KB 
ID:	186206  
    "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

Mar 2005
    Minelab Quattro and Sovereign Elite
    2 times

Re: Old Button - Unknown backmark and design

Don,
    Nice button. Are you sure there is not a letter between the W and N ?... Hope you can get it clean without lifting the surface off, good luck...Definitely looks colonial.

All I can add is I think you hunch right - late 18th century, based on the pattern type
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

us
    Oldest Coin Found is a 1853 Seated Liberty Half Dime

Jul 2007
    Star City
    White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
    7 times
    Metal Detecting

Can't help you on the ID of the button, but I'm not convinced that the letters on the back are W N. It looks to me like a W V. Have you tried looking up those initials? The part that turned the V into an N appears to be a scratch to the button. Hope you are able to have it identified. Nice find.

I am fairly certain it is WN, on another forum, someone posted a silver gilted button with WN on the back also, I have not seen the photograph of the WN, but willing to say it sort of qualifies this as WN. Looking at the backmark straight on, it is without a doubt WN in my opinion.
    Don

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    3343 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

that flat button with straight attached ring to back design type was normally used 1780's thru about 1830's era -- most archie types woud see it and "rough date" the area about 1800 with a 20 year "window" on each side ---1780 to 1820--- although it could have been made later of course using the old style type design from that time frame.

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    106 times
    Banner Finds (1)

I see WN

I also found some silver makers marks as "W.N" but I'm possitive the time frame is completely different.

Nice button Don!

us
    My Find of a Lifetime!

Oct 2006
    Philadelphia Area
    White's V3i, MX Sport, Dual Field PI, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Teknetics T2 SE
    701 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Don this button was found in South Eastern Burlington County a while back. To date it is the only plated button I have found. It appears to have the same makers mark.

Name:	2006_0814Image0002.JPG 
Views:	386 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	10903   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2006_0814Image0002.JPG 
Views:	387 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	186593  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

us
    My Find of a Lifetime!

Oct 2006
    Philadelphia Area
    701 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Don,

Upon closer investigation, it appears that my WN button may also have a design with tail feathers. It is the button on the right. Look at the button at the 7:00 position and see if you see it as well. Unfortunately the only picture I have is not a high resolution picture so I could only go to 200% before I lost resolution. The button measures 20.64 mm.

A little background that may help. It was found near an 1836 LC, the gilted button pictured (no makers mark, just the word GILT). I also found a clay pipe stem that I can date to circa 1780-1800 by the bore hole size. There were many other artifacts, none which I feel important enough to mention. I have been meaning to return to the site but it is some distance from my home. I would like to get there soon, before the foliage begins to grow in mid April

Name:	2006_0814Image0001.JPG 
Views:	291 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	10904   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2006_0814Image0001.JPG 
Views:	246 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	186603  

us
    My Find of a Lifetime!

Oct 2006
    Philadelphia Area
    701 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Don,

I saw this one posted on another forum from someone in WV. He does not actually say he DUG the button; if you ask me it looks more like an antique store find. But he does say it is marked "PLATED" with the WN backmark.

Name:	pic213321.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	186637  

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    106 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Right from a 1999 T-Net post: http://www.treasurenet.com/forum/rel.../1000751.shtml

"After further cleaning, I have found that this button is inscribed with :

SHEFFIELD * WN * PLATED"

also... another source... http://www.localhistories.org/sheffield.html

"During the 19th century the old industries like iron continued to boom. In 1856 Thomas Bessemer invented a way of producing better quality steel. In 1858 he began producing steel in Sheffield. Button making flourished. However in 1840 a way was found to make silver plate by electroplating replacing the old Sheffield plate. Cutlery continued to be the dominant industry in Sheffield."

Who knows?

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    106 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil in West Jersey
    Montana Jim's reply led me to this:

William Nowill
    in partnership with John Nowill
    Sheffield 1835 hallmark

See my post way above... I found that silver mark and blew it off... LOL However now with the Sheffield reference I can see a button dude silver plating his buttons.

us
    My Find of a Lifetime!

Oct 2006
    Philadelphia Area
    701 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Jim's reply led me to the hallmarks of English Silver. I hope this helps:

http://www.silvercollection.it/engli...ermarksWD.html http://www.silvercollection.it/ENGLI...RE.html#321ING

WN (William Napier [ G ]) 18th c./2nd half
    WN (William Nolan [ D ]) 19th c./1st half
    WN (William Nowill in partnership with John Nowill [ S ]) 19th c./1st half)

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    3343 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

hummm william nowill (WN--- hall mark ) silversmith from sheffield england --- known mark 1835 *--- button type common in useage during that time frame --- so --- best guess is a silver plated button from the sheffield england silversmith william nowill about 1835 ish . --- nice find .

Quote Originally Posted by ivan salis
    hummm william nowill (WN--- hall mark ) silversmith from sheffield england --- known mark 1835 *--- button type common in useage during that time frame --- so --- best guess is a silver plated button from the sheffield england silversmith william nowill about 1835 ish . --- nice find .
    I think Neil's button would be the one you mention, mine, I think is not the same manufacturer, also mine is gold gilt with circled 6 pointed stars, the one neil has hard to say but on another forum there is a nice photo of a PLATED WN button like Neil's that is not similar to mine. Totally different type of backmarks, shanks and design type.

Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links