Asked, Answered, Asked Again. But...

lokkenpa

Aug 8, 2008
Edmond, OK
Detector(s) used
MineLab e-Trac, Garrett Ace250, SunRay X-1, ProPointer
I know that this has been asked and answered many times because I have read all the posts way back on this thread and on the internet. But I need further clarification.

The last time I was out hunting I was using the 5.3 eclipse, preset 9 and just shy of the 2nd preset on discrimination on a MXT300.

Clarification needed is in regards to nickles. Everything that I have read states that they should come in between VDI 18-20. This is correct isn't it? The reason that I am asking is because I had a couple of VDI's that came in at those numbers that were repeatable from multiple directions and had very solid confidence blocks. Guess what they were when I dug them? Pull tabs...
I rechecked the target area and the "target" was no longer there. So the "target" was not being masked by the pull tab.

I know that all that displayed information is just a "suggestion" or "possibility" of what the target is. But what is the best displayed information combination that has the best chance of showing a nickle?

Thanks for revisiting a dead horse so to speak...

Phil

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Those meters and there numbers will drive you crazy if you think those numbers will show the right target number all the time . Let's say that all you dig is the numbers between 18 & 20 just for nickles you sure are going to miss a lot of nickles . A lot will say my detector says that number 35 will be lets say dimes and they get all shook up if it is not dimes. Those numbers are sort of a guide and not all that accurate your ground make up could be diffrent than the guys in the next town any thing will make them give numbers that don't match the coin in the ground . You put to much confidence in those numbers then you say my detector is not working right it was one number off . I get a kick out of everyone going nuts over the accuracy of those numbers. I don't let the da_ things bother me. If every thing is perfect out side like in your house it will read right most of the time....But you have diffrent ground makeup , and all types of interference out side .. Those numbers will make you loose your mind :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :angry4: :cussing: :cussing:

OP
OP
lokkenpa

lokkenpa

Aug 8, 2008
Edmond, OK
Detector(s) used
MineLab e-Trac, Garrett Ace250, SunRay X-1, ProPointer
Jim_K - I understand all that...

On the MXT300 you put most trust in the "confidence" blocks before you put trust in the VDI numbers. I know that they are just a guide... However, all information that I have found by other users of the same detectors (MXT or MXT300) indicate that a nickle should come in between 18-20... Maybe a 16 for a Buffalo.

May I ask if you have used a Whites MXT or MXT300?

Phil

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
lokkenpa said:
Jim_K - I understand all that...

On the MXT300 you put most trust in the "confidence" blocks before you put trust in the VDI numbers. I know that they are just a guide... However, all information that I have found by other users of the same detectors (MXT or MXT300) indicate that a nickle should come in between 18-20... Maybe a 16 for a Buffalo.

May I ask if you have used a Whites MXT or MXT300?

Phil
Yes i had one last year liked it better than the DFX or XLT if i got another Whites i would get the MXT.. but i sold it and went back to my Garrett 1500 and Minelab Sovereign............

mighty_mace

Jun 29, 2007
Schuylkill County, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes i had one last year liked it better than the DFX or XLT if i got another Whites i would get the MXT

Well that quote has me feeling good...I just ordered an MXT this morning over the XLT.

Sorry for the OT post but wanted to subscribe to the thread and was happy to hear the MXT was a good buy.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickels have always been the hardest coin for me to find. Why? Because it is the same VDO range as pull tabs. I don't like to dig pull tabs, so there you go. So, if you only find nickels you could ask, "Why do I always find nickels when I am looking for pull tabs?" Some gold also falls into that range so if you never dig pull tabs you will probably never find gold either. As sophisticated as today's detector's are they still are not precise at identifying every target. The numbers and icons are merely guides or you might say educated guesses. You have to have the patience and experience to go along with what your machine is telling you. Sometimes there is a very subtle difference in the tone you hear along with the VDO number that will tip you off. My hearing doesn't differentiate that well, but many Tnet members swear theirs does. And I take note that these same people nearly always post good finds, so there must be something to it. I only wish I was as fortunate. Monty

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Most pull tabs on the MXT will come in at 22 to 26 and may jump a little. There are some that come it at 20 and even a very few at 18. I find more nickles at 18 than anything and many at 20 also. On top of that, the beaver tail from an old style by itself (no ring) many times come in at 20. Always dig a steady 18 or 20. I have found many many more nickles with my MXT than any other machine I have owned. Oh yeah, as always, don't forget, gold jewelry can fall anywhere around those numbers so if it's not to trashy, dig it all. :thumbsup:

mighty_mace

Jun 29, 2007
Schuylkill County, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out playing around with my MXT checking out the vdi numbers on different materials. Granted it is not in the ground so I'm sure that plays a factor but I checked out an old indian head wheat penny and it was reading screwcap, vdi in the 40-50 range. I'm almost convinced to start digging everything up I come across until i get a better feeling of what its telling me.

I noticed a dime on edge reads alot different than laying flat too. Lots for me to learn.....

Dale Simmons

Dec 24, 2008
Jacksonville, Florida
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Equinox 600
I dug over 100 coins a couple of nights ago and 26 of them were nickles. That's almost 25% nickles. On my other machines I hardly ever get a nickle. On my MXT that I have only had three weeks, nickles are not much of a problem. If the VDI reading is 18 and jumps to 20 or if it's a 16 that jumps to 20, it's a nickle. If it's a solid 20 it's a pull tab. That's just my experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread