Just bought a Garrett 250 but found an XLT under a bed!

dutchoven

Mar 12, 2010
I am absolutely green when it comes to metal detecting. I purchased a Garrett 250 this week simply as a learning tool and as a way to get some exercise since my knee surgery. I was at my dad's this evening telling him about it when he told me to go look under his bed. When I pulled it out I saw that it was a White's XLT model. It appears to be in excellent shape and dad had indicated he bought it about 3 years ago but never really got around to using it. He now wants to sell it and I figure I will pick it up.

So, here's the plan and I need advice as to whether I am looking at this correctly. I am figuring that I will need to use the Garrett for quite a while so that I learn the basics of metal detecting. From what I've read the XLT is really designed for more experienced users and thus I need to probably focus on the basics first. Any thoughts/input is appreciated!

Bob

OP
OP
D

dutchoven

Mar 12, 2010
I've always picked up on electronics quickly so I don't have any worries there. My dad did not have the owners manual for the XLT so I will see if I can grab that online and make a determination as to which route to go. I believe I read somewhere that just like the 250, the XLT has pre-programmed options as well. I appreciate the advice.

Bob

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While the Ace 250 is a nice detector I would start learning on the XLT with it's preset coin program and when you get some dirt under your nails you can try the other modes and settings. If there is one accessory you should get is a sniper coil for trashy areas to cherry pick the good targets from the junk.

Spooky is right on the overlapping of your sweeps and keep the coil level with the ground the whole sweep. The field goes down in a roughly cone shape and at the bottom is might only be 2" across. The biggest reason the guy walking behind you finds the good targets you missed. Not because he has a better detector. :laughing7:

Attachments

• Concentric Coils.jpg
    Concentric Coils.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 628
  • Concentric Coils.jpg
    Concentric Coils.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 630

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spooky has a lot of good advise :thumbsup:

I've used an XLT (my first detector) for the past three years and just love it. . . after you've had
a chance to hunt with it for awhile, you should get the hang of it in short order.

One thing that has helped me (and this holds true for any detector) is when you hunt a new site,
you should dig just about everything during the beginning of your hunt. . . this will give you a rough
idea in determining the site's age and the probable depth you can expect to recover good targets.

Good luck!

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I'd keep them both this way if something happens to one while it is being fixed you have something else to detect with.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Start with the XLT might as well start with a almost top of the line detector just use the preset programs and it will be as easy as the Ace is to use . If you call Whites at Sweet Home Or at 1-541-367-6121 they will send you a instruction DVD for your XLT at no charge to you "free" ..BUT if you call any other Whites phone number they will charge you for the DVD.. and stay away from the 800 numbers they will charge you for the dvd also..

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start with the XLT, but keep both. Get the White's 5.3 coil, or my favorite the Blue Max 600. With the XLT, just follow the directions on the LCD screen, and use the coin/jewelry mode. The Tnet members above who have responded to this post already KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT! Listen to them. Get some coins and see what they sound like to the detector, and then seek the same signals while searching. I love my XLT and have done very well with it. Just my 2 cents. Niffler

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
start with the xlt. it has programs in it already. just load one and go. Read the directions and google XLT programs and get an idea to come up with your own custom program. Or even better hook up with someone in the area that has an xlt and pick there brain. Thats what i did. good luck Tex

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an Eagle Spectrum dirt cheap when I first started detecting. The XLT isn't that much different. It's very easy and user friendly with the preset programs. As others have pointed out, you can find many custom programs for it on various forums.

OP
OP
D

dutchoven

Mar 12, 2010
Normally my father would simply give items like this to me but money is tight for them right now. Is $300 a reasonable amount to offer him? I've looked at some used XLT models but all of them had additional items (ie headphones, coils etc).

Bob

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
dutchoven said:
Normally my father would simply give items like this to me but money is tight for them right now. Is $300 a reasonable amount to offer him? I've looked at some used XLT models but all of them had additional items (ie headphones, coils etc).

Bob

Be nice to him he fixed your bikes and other things you broke as a kid LOL

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank1960 said:
Be nice to him he fixed your bikes and other things you broke as a kid LOL

I like that. :laughing7:

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I used an XLT for years....you will love it. Also you could call Whites and have them go over it to check it out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread