V3i Threshold Tone Setting Question

nuggetshooter

May 9, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i, Minelab GPX 4000, Gold Bug 2, Troy Shadow X2, Fisher M-Scope FX-3, Fisher 1220X PRO, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went into the expert section and changed my threshold tone to a pitch that I liked better than the standard default setting. I did this on all the programs that I like to use (C&J, HiTrash, and HiPro, and Meteorite). I then decided to do it also in the Deep Silver program to see if I would like the program any better with a threshold that did not sound like a mad dog growling. What I discovered was that unless I select the Discrimination setting in the Search Audio section, the default threshold tone comes back. As soon as I go back and change it from say Stereo to Discrimination again, my modified/selected threshold tone comes back. The same happened in the HiTrash and HiPro programs. Is this the way it should be? Am I doing something incorrectly? And, if I do not use the other search audio settings (eg., stereo, mixed mode, all metal) what am I missing? Depth, targets, ? Thanks.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't remember the precess for the settings of the audio tone but it just changes the tone, not the amount of depth or the way it signals targets, just the way you hear them.

OP
OP
nuggetshooter

nuggetshooter

May 9, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i, Minelab GPX 4000, Gold Bug 2, Troy Shadow X2, Fisher M-Scope FX-3, Fisher 1220X PRO, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Sandman - I realize that threshold change does not affect depth unless it is so loud you miss targets. My question goes deeper into the menu of the V3i. I was in formed that in one of the programs Deep Silver, what I was hearing as a "default threshold tone" was the VCO and not the threshold. Once I adjusted up the VCO tone pitch, the "threshold" tone increased and it sounded just like a higher pitched threshold. Not able to explain it very well, but it was a function of how that one program was designed. I had the right idea, but was employing the wrong method to achieve the results.
But, in the Expert menu section, there are different search audio options such as mixed mode, stereo mixed (discriminate heard in one ear and all metal in the other), and all metal. My question also goes to if I select discriminate, for instance, am I missing out on something by not using mixed mode or stereo mixed? Or, is it just a different way of listening to targets that the coil pass over. The V3i has so many options, that one can get lost in just trying to understand what is available to be done! Thanks for the information - I will just keep plugging away at it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread