Suggestions on new coil for MXT

IWillFindTheGold

Nov 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I recently purchased an MXT. It's my first metal detector and I'm really enjoying it and very glad I chose this machine. But... I have noticed that the MXT seems to have a bias to finding copper/zinc as opposed to silver. Of course, I am a new MDer and I'm aware that some of this might be due to the driver and not the car!

At any rate, I bought the MXT which comes with the stock 9.5" coil and I also picked up the 6" x 10" DD with the advice of a board member here. Both coils work great, depending on the circumstance (ground mineralization, junk levels etc) but, as I say, I am getting the very strong feeling that I'm leaving silver in the ground, probably some silver that's a bit deeper than either of these coils is capable of finding. I've done tons of research in certain key areas around me, and I'm finding all kinds of coins that would leave me to believe that I'm missing some of the older silver coins in these areas.

On that note, I'm looking at a couple of coils and I was wondering if anyone can offer some suggestions. Based on some research, I've boiled it down to a few options. Here is an interesting link to another forum where a fellow does a good coil comparison:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=30357

Romero7 does a great job of comparing these coils, but I'm still not sure which might be the best for me. I'm mainly working areas in open ground, like old park areas, with medium to high mineralization. I've got it down to 3 main options:

White's D2 10",
EXcelerator - 10" DD
EXcelerator - 10x12" SEF

I'd appreciate any and all comments and suggestions before I take the plunge and grab one of these. Like I say, I'm mainly trying to find slightly deeper silver in old areas that I have strong reason to believe contain these coins. But it's also cool just to have more coil options in general.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
You will always find more copper/zinc in the ground than silver. There is just more of it. The MXT will pick up silver just as well as copper. What settings are you running it at and have you tried to run the gain at +1 +2 +3?

OP
OP
I

IWillFindTheGold

Nov 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Hi Tin.

I realize that there is a copper/zinc to silver ratio, and I've got to respect that reality, but I'm getting the idea that the MXT isn't catching some of the silver. There may be less merit in the idea than I currently believe, but I am prepared to give another coil a shot to prove myself right or wrong. Also, I've read other posts that allude to the MXT's limitations in re to silver.

In terms of settings, I've run the gain up to 9, 10 and +1, +2 and +3. I've tried many different strategies in terms of settings. I usually use relic mode, and switch back to C&J as well. I'll also sometimes flip it into prospecting mode to quickly check iron % and GND. When I find a target I like to push the trigger switch forward quiet the DISC metals.

I've been turning up the DISC lately due to the junk that I'm finding in many of the areas I frequent (I go 5 or even higher).

I believe what you might be alluding to is running the MXT on "the edge of insanity". I agree that this makes sense. In the few months now that I've owned the MXT, I've been moving slowly towards a better understanding of what the machine is telling me as I sweep the coil and listen and watch the display.

I also found some interesting tips that I'm going to try from this fellow's post:

(see Reply #15)

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=43.0

Lastly, I realize that the stock coil and the DD are both great, and should get anyone a lot of silver (and gold and everything else) but I would like to try a different approach using an alternate coil. Then again, more time and learning new techniques will also help. The jar of coins on my desk is almost full. That was a goal. I just wish there was more silver in there! :icon_thumleft:

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can vouch for the MXT finding silver...a few days ago I took a friend to a site I got permission for. My coins = 10 wheat pennies and some clad. His finds = a few wheat pennies, some clad, and a 1909 Barber quarter at 7 inches using the shooter DD 3 x 6 coil. I used the XLT, with Royal 800 coil. Niffler

OP
OP
I

IWillFindTheGold

Nov 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Thanks niffler. I'll keep at it and keep the faith. I'm sure the problem is a combination of things, especially my technique and possibly the areas I'm looking aren't as plentiful of silver as I'd like. Persistence might just be the key.

srf2112

Jul 5, 2010
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro w/DX-1, MXT 300 w/DX-1, Dual Field P.I., Excal II, M6, Garrett ProPointer, Pro-Gold HP's, Lesche and Predator force multipliers
Of the three coils you listed in your original post, I have the D2 and I love it. I think it separates ALMOST as well as my 6x10 but it definitely gets 2-3" deeper, maybe a little more. I live in Ca. and my soil runs from mid 40's to mid 70's. In spots I can run the 6x10 at max (+3) I can run the D2 at around +1 and slightly higher. If your ground is not too mineralized I would go with the D2 as it's a Whites coil (with their backing/service) and have read they get comparable depth but if your ground is Med to High as you said, I've read that one or maybe both (can't remember) of the other coils may be better at dealing with it. JMHO Hope it helps.
HH
Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread