Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know two people that have had their Whites machines flood... Seems the latches can hook on something and pop up.. Although mine snap really tightly, the more the gasket compresses with time, and the latches wear, they will probably get easier to accidently pop up and cause a flooded machine..

What I did was take a piece of an old tow strap, since it is pretty thick and stiff (causes less deformation under stress), and burned holes in it big enough for ties straps. Then as you can see, the strap wraps around the box from the bottom, and the tie straps pull it tightly... No way these hinges are going to snag on anything, or accidently pop up while I am in the water...
Should be the same for the Beach ID and the Surf PI...
Last thing we need is a flooded machine and down time...

Attachments

• IMG_5494.JPG
    IMG_5494.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_5495.JPG
    IMG_5495.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_5496.JPG
    IMG_5496.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_5494.JPG
    IMG_5494.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_5495.JPG
    IMG_5495.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_5496.JPG
    IMG_5496.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 358

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pretty slick idea :icon_thumleft: thanks for sharing it

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any thing that can help these detectors from flooding is a big help. Most of the problems I heard about the water in the unit were from deformed O rings. This can be from simple operator error and not the design of the machine itself. Thanks for sharing. :coffee2:

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The o rings are cheap compared to a new detector. I change mine every two seasons. Never had the hinges open on me, but I can see it happening, thanks for bringing this to my attention. Nice girdle for the closure. I will be using Velcro. Arty

http://www.textol.com/textol.asp

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread