who can tell me the difference between a Vx3 and a DFx 300

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because these two detectors are the same price doesn't mean one is that much better than the other, just more bells and whistles. Suggest you look them up on White's site as the differences are to much to list here.

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Vx3 has 3 Freq and is a lot hotter and has more adjustments. Its more like a V3i my guess is it will replace the DFX. It was more stable also and can use the wireless headphones.

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
Sandman and Sniffer, with due respect I'd say you are way off if you think it's just more bells and whistles. The V3i is a COMPLETE software rewrite. I own a V3i and have never run a DFX but I have read plenty from people who own both (still). The V3's are much much deeper out of the box. DFX can go deep but is MUCH more complicated to run. So it's kind of funny that the DFX is more difficult but the V3's have more options (bells and whistles). Though the VX3 doesn't have that many extra options. You only really need to play with 4 main settings on the V3 - sensitivity, discrimination, filters and recovery. When you have those down, then move on.

The separation is insane on the V3 and the depth... I still can't believe (and it's not due to power, it's in the discrimination it seems.) The soil matrix analysis on the V3 is MUCH MUCH better than on the DFX. You can find out the soils main type of mineralization (iron or salt) and broken down into 3 frequency results, the level of mineralization as well as the EMI level in the air and the loss of signal into the ground. Via Ground Probe and Probe.

Just think of how long ago the DFX came out (and not saying it's not a great detector) but the technology has just gone so far, the menu's have improved as well as just about every other function (the debate is still there on ground tracking). You can essentially make a V3 run like a DFX but NEVER in the other direction.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Earthmansurfer, we only meant the two are very different detectors. One with more options than the DFX, or bells and whistles. Its just that some posters want a complete run down of the features when they can get all the info they need from the manufactures website lots easier than having us rely on our memory. :coffee2:

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
Sandman said:
Sorry Earthmansurfer, we only meant the two are very different detectors. One with more options than the DFX, or bells and whistles. Its just that some posters want a complete run down of the features when they can get all the info they need from the manufactures website lots easier than having us rely on our memory. :coffee2:

No apology necessary - I just misunderstood - Sort of the problem with communication in type. And you are correct, there is a post on the whites site forum comparing the features. But, just for the sake of someone torn between a DFX and VX3 - Don't get the DFX as it's much harder to use (I've seen too many people who have used a V3 and DFX say that, not from personal experience.)

I have to say I like the idea of the VX3 as it is a much more simplified version of the V3i. And though a lot of guys have had problems with the V3i, I haven't and I only had pretty much turn and go detectors before that. I have no EMI where I'm at but the iron is thick. I think that playing with the settings without knowing what they do is a recipe for disaster.

mandad76

Jun 26, 2008
BAYTOWN, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
SPECTRA V3i/BHID 300
oldcoon said:
The Vx3 is just an upgraded XLT.

Vx3 is not an upgraded xlt - not even close. Compare the info chart on white's website - xlt isn't even on it - they don't even make new xlt anymore. Can't really compare single frequency units to multifrequency units - there is no comparison. IMHO

Dirty Money

Sep 21, 2010
Saginaw, MI
Detector(s) used
White's MX5 w/ 8X6 SEF, Garrett Pro-Pointer, X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because of improved technology, the Vx3 is probably the way to go. And that comes from a guy so comfortable with his DFX that he has no desire to trade it.

Good luck and HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread