Sierra Madre ?

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a question about the Sierra Madre detector. I remember years ago reading the popularity with the detector with Mexican nationals and others searching for buried caches in Mexico. Is this detector capable of going deep with the coils provided, I know the 15"coil is included with the detector. Has anyone used it in that capacity of cache hunting. All opinions welcome..

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relichunter1

I use a 5900 di pro with 15" coil and the sierra Madre is the same thing with out filters for discrimination, and yes it is a very deep detector, I was told from a White's dealer up hear they use that detector in the gold Fields in Arizona, and it does really well. It will go down 5' on a target about the size of a full size garbage can lid or bigger. It' all metal With an intensity meter...closer the target is to the surface the stronger the needle will show or read high. So a deep target the needle will be steady at a lower number the closer you get to that target the higher the needle will read. I hope that help White's detector are the best. good luck and be safe...

liftloop

liftloop

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They often used them with the 25" Magnum Force coil but as with all detectors there's drawbacks. Depth with the Whites 15" coil is not that great and it lacks sensitivity for most peoples coinshooting needs. Add that to the lack of discrimination and its not exactly an all rounder. Hot rocks can be a real problem.

Runs at 6.592 kHz the same as most of the Whites of the period. Think it came on the market in 1995 or 1996 so check on how old it is before buying. I found the threshold a little unstable. If its hoards or buried cannon it might be better to look at a two box (Whites, Discovery and C-Scope all stem from the same design) as they will ignore smaller rubbish the Sierra can't. Or really splash out on a pulse hoard hunter.

Nevada Dan

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2011
I have the newer sierra madre (2years now) came stock with the 950 coil optional 15'' . it is a fantastic machine, the 950 coil does quite well for coins and has very good depth. you will dig a lot of trash, but you will dig a lot of good targets also. The 15'' coil may miss smaller targets, but I have hit a baby food jar of coins at 20 inches, with a good strong reading. It would likely find a buried safe over 5 feet down. I think of it as a cross between my MXT and the TM808.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread