Another TDI-Pro .............. without problems.

mntnflyr4fun

Jul 12, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Etrac with 6x8 SEF & ML 11" Pro coil, MXT PRO with D2 coil, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think loyalty is ever a problem, Whites has been a leader for many years for good reason. Based on the following post by Reg Sniff (guru of gurus on TDI) it doesn't sound like you have much to gain in depth by going to a PRO. For some reason I had it in my pea brain that you had an SL which has a smaller battery so is depth limited by that fact alone. Don't ask me where I came up with you owning an SL, I have no clue.......

Here is the post I refered to: TDI PRO

If you search Regs posts on the findmall forum, you will find a massive amount of knowledge being shared and most of it related to the TDI as he pretty much puts the TDI/TDI PRO in the same basket, and the SL/SPP etc. in another....good stuff tho.

As for the best relic machine, I sure can't say that you own the best, but am pretty sure you don't own the worst. Do you run with GB on? That can kill depth due to the processing out of the ground signal that removes alot of other data with it.

Hope you find what you are looking for. I apologize if I come across as a smarta$$ sometimes.....

Jan 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
White's V3 + RNB 2900
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a test garden with relics buried. One of the targets is a Authentic Hanover Brass CS buckle (Hanover Type T-49) buried at 24 inches on its back. I have a White's V3 (without the update), a White's MXT Pro, a White's MXSport, and a White's TDI. I have done a lot of testing, testing on wet days, testing on dry days, testing with iron on top, and testing with different coil combinations. So far in testing I can get the V3 / Detech 13" coil combo to pick it up in moist conditions erratically , but not in any type of tone that I would dig on a normal day. The TDI with ground balance on but set to (1) it sounds very loud and clear, a signal I would dig every time. Where I get mixed results is with the TDI and ground balance off, sometimes I can get it to sound off very well, much louder than with ground balance on, and then sometimes I cannot get it to ring up at all. This does not make sense to me, but I believe the TDI has great potential, but the way it will ring up loud one time and not even there the next is troubling because I do not understand it. I'm not sure if the TDI Pro would remedy that or not. Like I said before, I do not have access to test a TDI Pro and I don't like reaching out for favors because it feels like anytime I ask someone local for a favor it requires 3 favors and all my hunting spots in return.

I mountain bike, spelunk, hike, fish, kayak, gold pan, four wheel, restore old tractors, and everything in between. I do enjoy metal detecting, I just get tired of all the BS I find that goes along with it. I am just coming off a long break after leaving the hobby over a bunch of BS locally so I may be coming across as a smarta$$ too, but it's nothing personal. I'm just starting off with a bad taste and a short patience I guess.

I am trying to talk myself into buying a TDI Pro , but like I said I have a slue of other hobbies that could use the funds as well. It's almost summer and I plan on doing something even if it's the wrong thing, I just don't know what it will be yet. If I can find out for sure that the TDI Pro solves those issues I'll be happy, if not I'll find something else to do with that money.

mntnflyr4fun

Jul 12, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Etrac with 6x8 SEF & ML 11" Pro coil, MXT PRO with D2 coil, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sound as if you have enough experience to keep your test conditions constant in terms of adjustments/coil selections etc. That being the case, I too would find it confusing to have results bounce all over the place. And supposedly ground balance off should be the deepest. I wonder if it is right at the edge of detection depth and on a given day/ soil moisture etc, it just won't fly???

I wish I had a test garden like yours to work with. You have plenty of horsepower in machines to find whatever you are looking for, I have owned the V3i and currently own an MXT PRO and GMT along with the TDI PRO and believe in the Whites line. I have also owned and Etrac and XP Deus so have dabbled with the dark side as well. I personally would have been happy with a TDI when I purchased, although I would probably be chasing the Reg Sniff mods that take care of some of the issues that the PRO addressed, although I don't think overall depth would be increased. Not sure of that, but I don't think there is a big depth change between the TDI and the PRO.

My guess is you aren't going to miss much between the Std. TDI and the PRO given all things being equal. Did you see the results of the coil test by Karelian on the Finds Forum? really eye opening on how coils affect depth (although it was in OZ) where the ground is bad. Its fairly current so is in the top ten results that show up in the TDI Classroom forum.

Hang in there, maybe we can learn this machine together.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread