Another TDI-Pro .............. without problems.

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
TDI-Pro gets 2-4-1 gram in a slab of Calcrete, WA Au.
However the exciting part is the depth from which it came.

TDI-Pro_Gold_800.jpg

ivanll

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That detector is on my wish list...Nice.. I all ways new that was a great detector, did it hit hard...I wonder if there is any one in the U.P. have one of those would like to try one out on a test copper conglomerate, I fond with my garret box loop. the 5900 Di Pro finds it, it deep over three feet. I was hoping to try one out on it. And also the v3i...I should call the company and see if their any for rent at a dealers ship a round hear..congrats on your success with you white's detector...

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
Whites went back to Eric Foster's advice and original design for the TDI Pro for OZ. The present circuitry for the Pro gives increased sensitivity to small gold (and nickles) and Eric also came up with a better coil match with the Pro for OZ. It now has a greater increase to small gold than the standard TDI and when teamed up with a RB 5X10 coil, one can pick up .1 gram pickers at a depth of 2 to 3 inches. The Pro is also very good at the beach in salt water or wet sand. I chest mount my Pro also, thus, I am able to work the beaches at ankle depth in water at low tide. I just hope that the reliability is now better than the previous TDI's that I have owned.

DSCN0315.jpg

DSCN0308.jpg

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
I wanted to state for all that, although I experienced 3 factory problem TDIs over 3 years, Whites Electronics came through 100% with their warranty and replaced each unit with new detectors. The last one, they allowed me to upgrade to the TDI-Pro for an additional $200 which I thought was very fair indeed. So, if you decide to purchase a new Whites detector, you can be assured that Whites is second to none with their 2 year warranty.

OP
OP
I

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
Good to see you are having success with the TDI-Pro/RB coil combo on the beach A-A, it's a fine looking beach to.
It's a size of beach I would like to use my RB 8x17" or 14"DD on.

As for a 0.1 gram picker at 2 to 3" with an RB 10x5" coil we shall soon see, I have just that size picker on hand and waiting to tested,.......... without engaging "MythBusters"

ivanll

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Good to see you are having success with the TDI-Pro/RB coil combo on the beach A-A, it's a fine looking beach to.
It's a size of beach I would like to use my RB 8x17" or 14"DD on.

As for a 0.1 gram picker at 2 to 3" with an RB 10x5" coil we shall soon see, I have just that size picker on hand and waiting to tested,.......... without engaging "MythBusters"

ivanll

I used initially a 14 inch RB mono coil on the beach but found it too hard to pinpoint with. I switched to the 8.5X11 RB mono and it was a dream to pinpoit with. You will find that the original Eric Foster designed TDI-Pro with the right coil, 5X10 standard or folded RB coil will pick up very tiny pickers. My smallest test nugget is .065 grams which is less than .1 gram. Now that I am home, I will try to post a video on youtube when I have the time to do so. A GB2 will pick up smaller pickers and it is what a fellow prospector used in Rabbit Hole last summer to find where to set up a drywasher. He was very successful using this approach and strategy. His metal detector combination was a GPX4000 and a GB2. He often hunted in OZ. You found some nice nuggets. That is the common size found around the Black Rock Desert in NV. Here is a picture of Rabbit Hole where we found similar nuggets and drywashed.

DSCN02531024x768.jpg

Last edited:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to point out to anyone considering the 10 x 14 Razorback coil, not all are equal. I've got the earlier version that looks identical to the latest and a friend of mine recently purchased the "new" one. His is way heavier. Don't know why or if they felt an improvement in build quality was needed but my lightweight one still works fine and I like the fact its far lighter in use than the stock D.F. coil.

OP
OP
I

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
How about a picture of the two coils side by side and the weight of each ?

Is there a performance difference between the two ?

ivanll

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine (the older and lighter one) had the edge (a fraction) in performance. Both look the same. He contacted Razorback and they were going to change the weight quoted on the site but some weeks on hadn't got round to it.

His is now up for sale on the British E-bay site. Nothing wrong with the coil but after buying the small Whites coil, and five or six of the Jimmy Seirra and Razorback coils he has sold his TDI Pro and moved on to a Minelab GPX which he seems quite happy with.

OP
OP
I

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
Whites went back to Eric Foster's advice and original design for the TDI Pro for OZ. The present circuitry for the Pro gives increased sensitivity to small gold (and nickles) and Eric also came up with a better coil match with the Pro for OZ. It now has a greater increase to small gold than the standard TDI and when teamed up with a RB 5X10 coil, one can pick up .1 gram pickers at a depth of 2 to 3 inches. The Pro is also very good at the beach in salt water or wet sand. I chest mount my Pro also, thus, I am able to work the beaches at ankle depth in water at low tide. I just hope that the reliability is now better than the previous TDI's that I have owned.

A 0.1gram picker with a RG 5x10 coil at 2 to 3 inces is outstanding.

Would you be kind enough to make and post a short video on your testing.............. it would certainly help keep the reputation of the Razor Back coils; after all that's what is at stake.

Looking forward to your video and skill on the subject.

ivanll

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArizonaAmes,
Thank you for your inputs on the Whites TDI. From how "I" read your post it seems you like the TDI Pro the best, what other TDI models have you tried? In the picture of the machine at the beach I see you have a wired set of earphones. Just recently I purchased a set of TDK wireless earphones from NewEgg(check for coupons for this item) and they work GREAT on my GMT. I put up a thread on them in the prospecting section under metal detecting, Wireless Headphones-Again. In my initial search for wireless one of my "wants" was a set that did NOT have built in batteries and the TDK 700 uses AAA batteries. I've found going wireless to be so very nice simply because of not having the wires in the way, though that may not be of much importance as you are using the chest mount and that IMHO is a super setup, chest mount that is.

All TDI inputs are appreciated........63bkpkr

Attachments

• 195_9544.JPG
    195_9544.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
I use a wireless set of headphones from Radio Shack when I am using the detector around a lot of brush while prospecting out west in sage brush. On the beach I use a good set of wired headphones, as I chest mount the TDI and TDI-Pro that I currently have. The Pro is more sensitive to small gold and nickles than the standard unit and is a lot more powerful for depth than the SL version due to more powerful batteries. The Pro was redone by Eric Foster to pick up gold better so that it would be a better unit for OZ than the standard unit. I was stunned that I could pick up less than a 1 grain picker at 2 plus inches on an air test.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whilst I agree the Pro is more sensitive it might not be the best choice for the beach hunter. The original TDI seems to have just as much depth as the Pro on my beaches on wanted targets but isn't quite as sensitive to tiny fragments of copper, brass and alloy which litter the place. This is also why I prefer the Deepstar to the Goldquest SS. The SS was just a little to sensitive.

Re the TDI SL I don't think its the batteries that makes the difference but the smooth threshold which on other Whites pulse machines seems to have been accomplished by creating a false threshold. False thresholds lose depth.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TDI-SL threshold is a true threshold, done the same as the TDI & TDI-pro. The depth difference is due to the lower battery voltage.

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Thank you for your input, Carl. Carl is the Chief Engineer for Whites Electronics. BTW, I am impressed with the Pro. It did take a bit of getting used to the differences from the standard TDI compared to the Pro but upon reflection and practice it is a better unit. I have used it for coin hunting and Beach hunting on the east coast of Florida and on the gulf shores of Alabama. With the RB 5 X 10 coil it is a killer on wee gold pickers. Keep up the great work with the great detectors and I might add, again, that Whites is second to none for backing their products....jim

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had exactly the same type of comment posted in 1994 by a Whites employee about the smooth threshold and general running of the Surfmaster P.I. v the C-Scope 6 Pi which was a little rougher, but deeper. Took over a year before the truth came out. For once an "official" statement might be correct but why hasn't the threshold improvement been carried over to the more expensive TDI-Pro ?

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Brian,

Unlike you, I have owned both the TDI and the TDI-Pro. I have never had a threshold problem, erratic threshold, with either detector. However, I run with a totally quiet mode just below the threshold sound and do not hear a threshold at all. You can do that with the TDI. In either case, the thresholds are smooth with both detectors but I choose not to hear the threshold continously. If you wish or need to run a detector and hear the threshold (some detectors it is necessary) then that is your choice. Buy one or try one out at your dealer and you too will see that you can run this detector silently. I was going to mention this earlier but thought that you would not believe what you were told. I am glad the chief engineer for Whites chipped in and I see that you do not believe him also, so believe what you wish.

OP
OP
I

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
The two 0.5 grammer in opening picture were detected with a Mono coil at 15+inches depending on if the first 3" above ground distance is included,
It started with a newly charged battery and settings for max depth and sensitivity in All with GB on at 9 and a Threshold at the very edge............. not what we considered smooth or steady.

Suggestions of a below or silent threshold with a TDI-Pro is not entertained when Gold prospecting on our outings with a TDI-Pro.

My newly obtained 10x5"f8 Razorback coil is sweet on small stuff like 0.1gram Gold pickers.................... but the 2 to 3 inches depth mentioned by AA, have yet to be proven.
Another very appreciated thing about the RB coils besides from quality and especially for us on this side of equator...............they are available and easily obtainable.

Many products are advertised and well promoted but not easily available and so go on my list of next to useless.

ivanll

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey fellas, thank you for all the inputs on the TDI units. Sounds to me like the TDI Pro is a bit better in general than the other two TDI models. At some point I want to upgrade to a Pulse machine and I trust Whites a great deal so it will be a Whites when I change over from my GMT. I will not get rid of the GMT but will use it as a backup and checker while I'm learning the TDI. I can find gold with the GMT but I would like the greater depth the TDI offers. And I've read that the TDI can be used for coins as well with additional learning/practice. I like a chest mount and I believe arizona indicated he used his in this fashion so that is another positive point for me towards the TDI Pro.

The snow is melting quickly in the Sierras so if that continues I should be able to get in a four day trip at the end of May, I am looking very forward to doing that. Regards...........63bkpkr

OP
OP
I

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
A deciding selling points to me was the TDI-Pro's ease of setup, multi-use, heaps of coils available, many of which are specifically made with a 6ft wire to enable chest mounting the way I mostly use mine.
My RB 19" Mono had a 6.5ft wire fitted by request, to enable a longer stem.

ivanll

PS: TDK WR700 work well with the TDI-Pro.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions