Which White?

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
There was a guy selling some royal gt in another forum for about $30. Search the classifieds. Also you could make your own. I made mine with volume control and peak rejection circuit. It will cost you a bit more but if you have a pair of old headphones you can make them for almost nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
S

stashu

Greenie
Jun 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boys I need some input. Thanks to all your information here I’m thinking I should have asked my dealer to swap the coil 9.5” on my new MXT pro for a 10 inch DD coil. My MXT is only 2 days old and not used at all just attached and turned on. I am asking this because I am not sure dealers swap out the “ coils” when purchasing a NEW detector or just want you to buy another coil? What would you do??
Most of say the 10” DD coil is a coin killer and this is what I am after.
Thanks for any info!!
Thanks and happy 4th!!

Stashu

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well the 9.5 is a very good coil. The difference is always the same; concentric vs. dd. Both have advantages ad disadvantages.
Concentric
Plus: it is very very easy to pinpoint, it is better for smaller objects. Better I.D. On objects.
Minus: it doesn't separate close objects as well as a dd. It looses depth in the border of the coil due to the cone shaped wave pattern.

DD
Plus. Better separation for trashy areas, better coverage due to the wiper blade pattern. Depth is constant over the whole coil, so it will be deeper searching than the concentric on the coils edge.
Minus. Pinpointing has a learning curve ( but once you get it it's is just as easy). A bit worse on smaller objects (obviously comparing coils of the same size). Worse I.D. And depth reading on the machine.

So it is more of a personal choice in my opinion.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stashu,
FYI - you now own a whites machine. Go find something interesting and take pictures of the hunt, the machine and object. Send the pictures and a simple writeup about the find to whites. IF whites wants to post it on their site they will ask your permission and offer a $100 certificate good towards Accesories for your permission. I've gotten certificates twice so it can be done

Congratulations on the new machine! Hope the 4th has been good to you...........63bkpkr

example pictures that garnered me a $100 cert.

185_8517.JPG 188_8852.JPG

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its always a good ideal to have another coil just in case one would go bad, I usually bring an extra coil to leave in the car when out detecting. HH

OP
OP
S

stashu

Greenie
Jun 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy it seems the more I read here the more money I spend--Thanks a lot guys--Just kidding :-)
Back to headphones---Yes I was thinking of 50.00 ones but maybe going to more $$ ones now.

They are for my Whites MXT Pro

Me---Hi freq. hearing loss----too much Motorcycling in my earlier years, but low freq. is prefect.

Wants---Dual volume control, and limiter so targets don't blast my ears

So far:
Gray Ghost NDT
SunRay Pro Gold
RATS

About in the same price range maybe leaning towards the Gray ghost----

What do you think??

Thanks to all for your help in previous questions and furture ones too!!

Stashu

PS--decided to keep the 9.5" coil for now----

Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
stashu said:
Boy it seems the more I read here the more money I spend--Thanks a lot guys--Just kidding :-)
Back to headphones---Yes I was thinking of 50.00 ones but maybe going to more $$ ones now.

They are for my Whites MXT Pro

Me---Hi freq. hearing loss----too much Motorcycling in my earlier years, but low freq. is prefect.

Wants---Dual volume control, and limiter so targets don't blast my ears

So far:
Gray Ghost NDT
SunRay Pro Gold
RATS

About in the same price range maybe leaning towards the Gray ghost----

What do you think??

Thanks to all for your help in previous questions and furture ones too!!

Stashu

PS--decided to keep the 9.5" coil for now----

What about the killer bees they are very comfortable and light.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the rats are made anymore and I've heard good stuff about the killer bees. HH

OP
OP
S

stashu

Greenie
Jun 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all---
I've narrowed it down a little more

1.Grey Ghost NDT
2. Killer B Wasp.
Anybody used both and care to comment??

Thanks!!

Stashu

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Well I can tell you that killer bees are very nice, I have them and they are quite confortable. I haven't tried the detector pro grey Gost but I wouldn't get the NDT since they use a plug in type of connector to the headphones, that in my opinion in time it can eventually cause problems. I have the Black widows that are very similar to the grey gost just better noise cancelling (even too much if you ask me). They are confortable but after a bit of time having them on you want to take them off... not the same with the killer bees, I could use those all day long.

OP
OP
S

stashu

Greenie
Jun 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your help

Killer B’s a little cheaper too-----Killer B Wasp it is at 116.95------satisfaction guarantee too. Will order Monday Free shipping.
Since I’m saving about 20.00 over the cost of the Gray Ghost phones I can get a digger now :icon_thumleft:

Lesche—is it over-rated or actually a very nice digger? About 32.00
Or
Hori Hori Japanese Digger? About 35.00 or so

Again Thanks!!

Stashu

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Lesche is good, my wife's digger (or my backup) is a Ames Jackson, it is amazing and I consider it even tougher than the lesche. Only problem is that there is no finger guard so you have to be more careful.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lesche is worth the money I've been through alot of other cheaper ones that I only lone out to others that go detecting with me sometimes, so I bought another lesche for a loner. HH

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got it!!
I just got the MXT PRO/w 9.5 coil.

My dealer had a Pro model BUT he said quite a few of his customers said the 12 " is too big so he customed orders "routinely" a Pro with the 9.5 inch coil, and this is what I got.
I traded in my Tesoro Tigershark, got a fair price for it and away I went.
Much too hard to dig though around here, no rain, rock hard dirt. I'll just play with it and get used to it, maybe go to beach "non-salt" and kick some sand.
Thanks to all for your help.
Any tips with the MXT would be welcomed!!

Forgot--Dealer DID say a double D 10" coil would complete my unit, BUT 250.00 too high right now..

Stashu
I was going to suggest switching the coils with your dealer and glad to see you did,your set with one of the finest machines available, now its just getting out there and get whats yours........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread