Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Terry Soloman
  • 1 Post By Jim in Idaho
  • 1 Post By 63bkpkr

Thread: GMT vs MXT Pro Propecting Discrimination - Iron, Hot Rocks, and other Junk

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2012
    Colorado
    Whites GMT
    Prospecting

GMT vs MXT Pro Propecting Discrimination - Iron, Hot Rocks, and other Junk

Hey Folks,

I had a question regarding discrimination iron, hot rocks, and other junk while nugget shooting.

Which detector (GMT or MXT) has a more accurate Iron/Hot Rock/Junk discrimination ability.

I know that the GMT has the (trigger squeezed) analyze function. Does the MXT have a similiar ability and same accuracy ?

I guess what I am wondering is while nugget detecting which detector will have me digging less junk while not missing nuggets at the same time?

Also, will the MXT disregard hot rocks as easily and the GMT ?

Thanks !

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3262 times
    Metal Detecting
    Obviously the MXT has better discrimination, because it is NOT a gold nugget hunter. Serious gold nugget hunters operate their VLF machines in All Metal, all the time. Most of us only use our GMT, Lobo Super Traq, or Goldbug II, when we are looking for small, shallow gold. When we are trying to find anything deeper and larger than 0.5grams, we pull out our Minelab SD and GPX machines, which are pulse induction machines. If you really want to find a gold nugget, use the right machine and forget about trying to avoid hot rocks, cold rocks, bullets, barbed wire, old bean cans, truck bumpers - whatever.

Nuggetshooting is THE hardest form of metal detecting, and there are no shortcuts..
    Sandman likes this.

May 2012
    5 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    What is the price of the GMT and can it locate flour size gold

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White GMT, DFX, Cinmaster, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
    614 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggy21 View Post
    What is the price of the GMT and can it locate flour size gold
    No detector can indicate flour gold, unless the flour is packed together densely, which doesn't happen in nature.
    Current list price on a GMT is about $800.00. Someintes dealers have special deals that lower the price.
    Jim
    Sandman likes this.

May 2012
    5 times
    Ok thank you

us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    'South' Texas
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    1408 times
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	191_9174.JPG 
Views:	212 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	697731 Shaggy21, here's a picture of the small gold that I find with my White's GMT. Some of it was under 6" to 8" of solid rock and the machine still picked it up. The GMT is a Gold detecting machine and though some folks have tried it with coins there are way better machines for coins. I've found the equivalent of a truck bumper with my GMT, a massive counterweight from an ore crushing mill, but the 'sound' for things other than gold is different so one needs to train their ears! Build a test garden of lead split shot, the detector thinks lead is gold, buried at different depths with plenty of swinging room between each one and practice, practice, practice and when you get tired of doing that go to the movies and come back home to practice more...63bkpkr
    chinchilla likes this.
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

us
    Noob to the cause

Oct 2012
    Kentucky
    Garrett Ace 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    Obviously the MXT has better discrimination, because it is NOT a gold nugget hunter. Serious gold nugget hunters operate their VLF machines in All Metal, all the time. Most of us only use our GMT, Lobo Super Traq, or Goldbug II, when we are looking for small, shallow gold. When we are trying to find anything deeper and larger than 0.5grams, we pull out our Minelab SD and GPX machines, which are pulse induction machines. If you really want to find a gold nugget, use the right machine and forget about trying to avoid hot rocks, cold rocks, bullets, barbed wire, old bean cans, truck bumpers - whatever.

Nuggetshooting is THE hardest form of metal detecting, and there are no shortcuts..
    Hmm, with your experience would you say the lobo can find gold bigger then 0.5g, but it's better to use gpx etc. Or is the lobo not good for larger gold?

Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    1993 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalDetectMatt View Post
    Hmm, with your experience would you say the lobo can find gold bigger then 0.5g, but it's better to use gpx etc. Or is the lobo not good for larger gold?
    No the Lobo can find the smaller gold and the larger gold deeper. The Pulse MD's can find the smaller stuff deeper but still waste your time on trash.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

us
    Noob to the cause

Oct 2012
    Kentucky
    Garrett Ace 250
    Thanks for clearing that up Sandman.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors