New DFX... Questions!

Scottso

May 8, 2009
long island new york
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75se, Minelab Excalibur, Minelab etrac, Tesoro sand shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys... I havnt posted in a while but I have sime questions... I recieved my DfX on wednesday and only used the relic program... altho I did find a small silve "heart" ring I just wasnt getting what I thought I would... I need some help... I would apreciate if anyone could tell me of a setting which is very good in high iron.. Most of my sites have tons of iron per square foot... I have the 8x6 sef coil but im not getting the separation I need... Any input would be much apreciated...
Thanks
Scottso

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Patience, young grasshopper." ;)

You just got it Wed.?? Of course, you already knew that, huh. :)

HH!

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thats a good coil choice for high iron sites. You are best to use the relic program as a starting point.

You can adjust the recovery speed up some and the sweep speed down some tgese work together disproportionatly .You have to work the coil slow in high iron. Listen for chirps among the iron then try to single them out.

I always run my Preamp gain at least 3. And a few places ive been able to run at 4. If at 3 its a bit erratic or falsely turn down the ac sens.

If the site is very high iron content. Then lower the DC sens. To 40+-
The DC is the ALL METAL response sensitivity.

At first the noise can be confusing and overwhelming but its like In ground vision for me. You can hear exactly whats in the ground and it's size at all times.

You also need to accept all vdi above -5 or -10. As iron proximity will skew vdi readings.

Turn bottle cap reject all way down. Unless your hunting parks. Youll know what they sound like soon.

2 frequency best data (relic is preset this way) is best bet for iron sites.

You can get more depth from 15khz only on cleaner sites for relics. But it loves iron.

3khz only is best when looking ONLY for coins.

Id suggest jimmy sierra's dfx book.

Dont be fooled by MAGIC PROGRAMS
You need to find what works best for you.

goen 4 gold

Apr 12, 2012
bellevue ohio
Detector(s) used
WHITES- dfx,dx1,d2 coil 4x6 shooter coil.....
beach hunter id 300, vibra probe pin pointer.....
GARRETT-ace 250

warren tweed pick,
GPAA pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the 4x6 shooter coil separates really well, I went back over trashy areas that I had hunted with the d2 and it was like cherry picking, great separation!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys... I havnt posted in a while but I have sime questions... I recieved my DfX on wednesday and only used the relic program... altho I did find a small silve "heart" ring I just wasnt getting what I thought I would... I need some help... I would apreciate if anyone could tell me of a setting which is very good in high iron.. Most of my sites have tons of iron per square foot... I have the 8x6 sef coil but im not getting the separation I need... Any input would be much apreciated...
Thanks
Scottso
What you want is the 4x6 DD coil, and use the "correlate" mode. I hunt old mine buildings that have been burned-down. Lots and lots of nails, wire, etc. I have no problem finding the good stuff amongst the trash.
Jim

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jim in Idaho said:
What you want is the 4x6 DD coil, and use the "correlate" mode. I hunt old mine buildings that have been burned-down. Lots and lots of nails, wire, etc. I have no problem finding the good stuff amongst the trash.
Jim

I disagree. While correlate will discriminate better since both frequency have to "agree" best data will alert a positive hit on either/both frequency

When a target lies near iron it will mask it. Especially in correlate mode.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I disagree. While correlate will discriminate better since both frequency have to "agree" best data will alert a positive hit on either/both frequency

When a target lies near iron it will mask it. Especially in correlate mode.
No....correlate is a big help in iron-heavy environments. Jeff Foster's book "Digging deeper with the DFX" does a good job of explaining this. Jeff writes "At locations where there is a high concentration of iron targets, the CORRELATE dual frequency mode may be used to cut down on iron target's tendency to create broad VDI responses." "This can be very helpful when trying to pick out conductive targets next to iron ones." What correlate does is remove most of the iron bars from the signagraph screen, making it easier to pick out the conductive targets.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread