Time to upgrade? by fall get

OhioDigger24

Sep 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey fellow diggers. I spent a good deal of time researching and getting permission for various key areas. I want to take full advantage of the opportunity because some of the locations are only allowing me to do this once.

Right now I have Coinmaster Pro. Its good, finds all kinds of cool stuff, but I want to upgrade my rig and possibly get a new one. Its all stock. I was wondering if there are any good upgrades that will help me find more silver and gold. I may need to just learn how to tune mine, but was wondering if there were better coil setups for this little rig.

Im mainly interested in coins, but I like finding anything.

I havent been out in a while, but the last thing I found was a civil war flat button in my front yard under a tree. Pretty cool

Any info would be greatly appreciated and good luck this season!

OhioDigger24

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OhioDigger,

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth if the sites you have permission on have some age....stick to your current machine and just drop the discrimination to say foil and dig all the solid signals and you'll find the goodies.

If you upgrade this fall to a higher end machine it'll probably take you the rest of the season to get used to it....probably better to stick to the machine you understand if it's been finding you the good stuff.

You can always upgrade next spring and you'll have the whole season to learn the new unit.

Regards + HH

Bill

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey fellow diggers. I spent a good deal of time researching and getting permission for various key areas. I want to take full advantage of the opportunity because some of the locations are only allowing me to do this once.

Right now I have Coinmaster Pro. Its good, finds all kinds of cool stuff, but I want to upgrade my rig and possibly get a new one. Its all stock. I was wondering if there are any good upgrades that will help me find more silver and gold. I may need to just learn how to tune mine, but was wondering if there were better coil setups for this little rig.

Im mainly interested in coins, but I like finding anything.

I havent been out in a while, but the last thing I found was a civil war flat button in my front yard under a tree. Pretty cool

Any info would be greatly appreciated and good luck this season!

OhioDigger24

Not really any tuning secrets to the CoinMaster Pro. Turn it on set the sens as high as you can before it becomes unstable, notch out iron and swing! I added a 4x6 coil to mine and it's was fine for picking up surface clad but had NO depth at all. The CMP isn't a depth demon to begin with and I would seriously advise against adding a big coil to a seriously weak detector.
For just a few buck more than adding a coil to the CMP, you could buy a detector that will smoke the CMP no matter what coil you pair it with.

OP
OP
OhioDigger24

OhioDigger24

Sep 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thanks for the info! I think I just need to be a little more patient and find dome new areas for now. I'm going to give my CMP to my dad. They don't have a lot if money and here ally likes going. Just hard to do with one person swinging and the other watching.

Thanks!

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get good depth from a pretty easy to use detector but you still will have to learn that detector and will get better with time, I can get 10"+ on dimes with my MXT paired with the D2 coil with a couple dimes being at 12". I can go to a park in town that's been pounded since the 70's and the only silver left is really deep almost always, I'll just listen for those really deep whisper targets to keep from digging most clad and trash and when its real deep the deep crusty wheats VDI about the same. Like said above though you most likely won't do that good until you get some time with the detector and some of those sweet singing deep silver dimes won't VDI like they would when you get 10"+ I've seen them VDI at the low 40 range but I dig all those whisper targets anyway and you need good headphones it makes a big difference on targets like that. HH

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can get good depth from a pretty easy to use detector but you still will have to learn that detector and will get better with time, I can get 10"+ on dimes with my MXT paired with the D2 coil with a couple dimes being at 12". I can go to a park in town that's been pounded since the 70's and the only silver left is really deep almost always, I'll just listen for those really deep whisper targets to keep from digging most clad and trash and when its real deep the deep crusty wheats VDI about the same. Like said above though you most likely won't do that good until you get some time with the detector and some of those sweet singing deep silver dimes won't VDI like they would when you get 10"+ I've seen them VDI at the low 40 range but I dig all those whisper targets anyway and you need good headphones it makes a big difference on targets like that. HH

Yeah but the Coinmaster Pro in no MXT! NOT going to get depth out of it no matter what coil it has! Well not with any amount of accuracy anyway.

I considered getting a big coil for my CMP when I had it. Thank the maker I came to my senses!

Hmmm…a $175 coil or a much better performing detector for $200….kind of a no brainer IMO!

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't go into a nice yard and dig everything as some old houses your going to be digging hundreds of holes and be there a very long time, if you leave the yard in great shape you'll most likely be welcome back for more digging latter down the road. HH

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm saying he doesn't have to jump into the learning curve of a V3i for great depth as a detector like that will take a good while to learn, but yeah he isn't going to get depth even close to that with the detector he's got now. He doesn't need to have the highest priced detector for great depth though and some will have a higher learning curve than others so that could slow your finds for a little bit until you get the hang of a new detector. HH
Yeah but the Coinmaster Pro in no MXT! NOT going to get depth out of it no matter what coil it has! Well not with any amount of accuracy anyway.

I considered getting a big coil for my CMP when I had it. Thank the maker I came to my senses!

Hmmm…a $175 coil or a much better performing detector for $200….kind of a no brainer IMO!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm saying he doesn't have to jump into the learning curve of a V3i for great depth as a detector like that will take a good while to learn, but yeah he isn't going to get depth even close to that with the detector he's got now. He doesn't need to have the highest priced detector for great depth though and some will have a higher learning curve than others so that could slow your finds for a little bit until you get the hang of a new detector. HH
Exactly!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread