Classic ID (Mr. Bill mod) vs. 5900/Di Pro SL CB

Paleo Hunter

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2015
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Eclipse 950, Eclipse 6 x 10 DD,.......
Whites 5900 Di Pro SL CB, Blue Max Deep Scan 950,......... Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

gregg5150

Jan 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all things being equal and both machines are in nice condition I would grab the 5900 Di Pro SL (and it is the CB version even better) will be deeper then the ID. Out of that series of detectors, the 5900,6000 and XL pro you could almost argue the 5900 being the best as it had a manual GB and you could squeak a little better depth out of it over the others. I had a 5900 for a bit and wished i would have kept it. I remember Monte telling me it was his favorite of the bunch because of the manual GB.

OP
OP
P

Paleo Hunter

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2015
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks gregg5150. I like hearing from someone that has owned the detector that I'm questioning about. I've read a lots about them, and read somewhere that the 5900 CB has the same internal parts as the 6000 except that the 5900 has the manual ground balance. Many people say that the manual balance will allow a little more depth especially in high mineralized soil. Thanks again for the input.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Paleo Hunter

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2015
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again gregg5150. I've decided on the 5900. From the advice I've recieved from this forum and others, the 5900 is obviously the best of the two, especially when it comes to relic hunting. Happy hunting to all.

Last edited:

humm-digger

Feb 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
Guess it´s a bit late ´cause you´ve already made your choice but you are really comparing apples to oranges.
The classic ID is a 2 filter unit that can get along with a slow swing.
The 5900 being a 4 filter unit requires a much faster swing.
Now if you hunt trashy areas latter may prove counter productive.
If you hunt wide open areas you can cover more ground faster with the 5900.
Then comes the weight factor.
The 5900 uses 4 C cells and has a heavier control box and is not as well balanced as the ID.
You will definitely feel this factor on a long hunt.
Also the 5900 eats up the batteries faster than the Classic ID - always carry a spare set - guess that goes for both
As for being much deeper - well maybe an inch or two.
Mr. Bill does not do any more mods on the Classics - specs on what is to be done are listed on the geotech website.

Wish you good hunting
humm-digger

Last edited:

Wayfarer

Dec 7, 2005
Western Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's: V3i, MXT, XL Pro
(In the past: White's: VX3, DFX, XLT, 6000 Di Pro SL, Coinmaster 2DB --- Minelab CTX 3030, Equinox 800)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you had to have one OR the other, I'd also go with the 5900. However, the Classic ID is also a great little unit that just happens to perfectly compliment the 5900. The 5900, as Humm-digger said, is a 4-filter machine and the Classic is a 2-filter. What this means is that the 5900 is going to be great in moderate to light trash open areas looking for deep coins. And the Classic will be good for the heavier trash areas where you are going slow and picking through looking for good targets, areas the 5900 will struggle in. And the two even share coils!

If there's any way you could swing both, then you'd have just about the ideal 2-detector arsenal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread