Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine has done this one time, and like you said I had mine down to 1 and it was still loud. I turned it off and back on several times over about an hour and I did not fix it. I finally remembered how to do a reset and then it straighten out. I have read that if you don't do a proper ground balance when you start the machine it can cause crazy things. Occasionally I go to pinpoint, find a clean spot and then bob the coil right when you go back to disc mode. I haven't had this happen anymore.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jangles

Feb 11, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
MX5 plus many others in the past
I do what you do also, find clean ground in AM then GB. I didn't try turning it off for an extended period just a minute or 2
I'll see if it does it in different areas and see what white's says.
HH John

RL OH

Feb 7, 2007
jangles, I have used a MX5 for probably 500 hours with great success and my MX5 operated exactly like yours. It did this every time I turned it on and would happen about 5 to 10 minutes of turning it on. I called the company and they said a couple of the early releases had trouble with the tones changing, but not the threshold. I just accepted it as quirk and would adjust my threshold according. After this initial adjustment, the threshold would remain steady. All in all, the MX5 is one of Whites best detectors. I put a SEF 10x12 coil on mine and found some very deep coins. It also worked surprisingly well in trash.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm liking mine better than the MXT for 95% of the type hunting I do. The standby mode alone makes it much more enjoyable. The audio tones sound better. The 2 tone mode is awesome in iron infested areas.

OP
OP
J

jangles

Feb 11, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all the replies, I had that sef 12x10 on my sovereign GT, that combo was the deepest detector I've ever owned. My 6x10 DD should be here Fri.
HH John

OP
OP
J

jangles

Feb 11, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
After spending more hours with my mx5 I notice it settles in nicely, smooth TH, it likes to be swung and it gets use to the ground nicely.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread