Old model 5900 DI Pro SL

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a black 5900 Di pro sl with a 9.5 blue max coil in mint condition for cheap. It's like brand new but it is an early model with the gain knob on the front of the box instead of the top and the shaft is the bolt together type with no twist lock thing. What's wrong with these machines? Everyone seems to want the newer ones with the knob on top but do these older ones lack in performance or have another problem that I should watch for? I also got a new in the box 15 inch blue max coil for $100. My plan was to dedicate this machine specifically for cache hunting.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thinking the same thing here.
Was looking at the 4900 which has no meter,but is basiclly the same.
Was wondering about performance say compared to a new coinmaster pro, or a classic III sl.

OP
OP
treasuresalvor

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess nobody knows.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone want s the latest and greatest toy. The machine you are talking about is probably close to 30 years old. I doubt if more than a few here have ever used one. I used to have a 6000 SL, which I believe the only difference was mine had auto GB, and yours has manual.

If you got it cheap, then I say to use it. It's nose heavy with that big coil, so keep it on the ground to save your arm. You may need to adjust the GB periodically (if its manual), but it should pick out a cache container fairly deep.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
My first detector was the 5900 Di SL. I wasn't even interested in detecting...it was an inheritance from my mother. She bought it for my brother at a garage sale or a thrift store. That had to be 20 or more year ago. My brother never used it for a decade(he's a staunch believer in simplistic technology.) I got the 5900 from him years ago and it sat in my garage gathering dust.

Well, a friend asked I had a metal detector cuz his bro lost a ring playing volleyball. I had to get another battery pack to begin with, and they found the ring in the meantime. I put the 5900 in use here in my own yard, didn't even find a single coin for a week. I then found lots of coins and relics over the months ahead. I decided to get the biggest/badest Whites(V3i) and "If I'm lying, I'm dying" that 5900 had already sucked 99.9% of the treasure in my yard. I've honestly not dug 50c here at home with the V3i and thats over years.

There isn't anything wrong with the 5900. The ground balance takes practice is all. One thing about the 5900 is it needs a faster swing speed.

OP
OP
treasuresalvor

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. I know it's old and I could buy most any detector I would want, but for what I'm looking for right now this is what I think I need. I couldn't find a Sierra Madre so I thought this would be very similar with the disc off.

What I wanted to know was if there was a big difference in performance between this early model 5900 and the 5900's with the gain knob on the top or is it just cosmetic differences. That's what I meant by newer one which I know is still old.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I passed on the 4900.
From what I have gathered from people, the 5900 was the best with manual GB.
There are quite a few people on here that wish they did not sell there's and are looking for another one even though they have and swing new detectors.
I will do a search on the classic sl.
Thanks for the 2 that responded.

DingoDon

Greenie
Jun 25, 2010
I have the same model 5900 DI Pro SL as yours with the gain on the front of the box. The main difference between this unit and the one with the gain on top of the box is the circuit board, the newer model circuit board was made from a newer material, and was a little less weight. I have had both over the years and did not see much difference in performance. The 5900 is a very good detector and will keep up with many of the newer models. I still use mine frequently and make many good finds.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read somewhere that many old timers, (White's users) consider the 6000 one of the best coin machines White's ever made. 5900...I don't know. My brother passed away a few months ago and he had a 6000 DI Pro SL, (and others) and I guess I'm getting it. He always said it was White's best.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know someone who has cleaned up using a 6000 DI Pro. I have a 6000 DI, series II and I am impressed with it although I don't have much experience using it. It is just collecting dust and I need to sell.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread